Poll

When a new book comes out, do you...

Adjust your plans to account for the changes revealed in the book?
11 (64.7%)
Ignore the changes revealed in the book and keep going as you'd planned?
6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Adjusting to Canon  (Read 2132 times)

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
Adjusting to Canon
« on: December 06, 2012, 10:22:17 PM »
So, like many of the rest of you no doubt did, I bought Cold Days and swiftly devoured it to gain its power. As a GM, though, some revelations in the book threw a Kong-sized monkey wrench into the ideas I had for future scenarios (my main game is currently taking place around the same time as Ghost Story, for reference), meaning I've got to decide if I want to adjust those future scenarios to account for it, or to break off and go full-on Alternate Universe, ignoring the changes it brought to the status quo.

So I'm curious as to what others do in the same situation.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Adjusting to Canon
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 10:49:07 PM »
I believe this would be better placed in the DFRPG spoilers bin.

That said:
(click to show/hide)
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline FishStampede

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 11:34:34 PM »
I have an uncanny ability for my ideas to flow into the cracks in existing canon. I've written fanfiction before and had later episodes entirely validate my ideas. It's pretty useful. So far, I've kept what exactly my Spring and Autumn courts are up to a secret, and some of the new revelations could be very interesting depending on which side I apply it to. My only problem is their entire reason for existence is now in question, but that's not something the players would know about so I'm gonna leave it unanswered.

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 11:35:51 PM »
It kinda depends.  If I can incorporate the new information into my storyline without making huge changes, I will.

Offline Keliren

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 05:32:22 AM »
There are some story hooks I for sure want to play with, but it might be a while before we get to them so people can get a feel for 'standard quo' first.

Especially:

(click to show/hide)

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 05:39:45 AM »
About that bit:
(click to show/hide)

Richard

Offline JDK002

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 03:58:12 PM »
I'm fairly ambiguious about when my campaign takes place (after Grave Peril, before Changes), so no it doesn't really affect my scenario ideas.  I can slide the canon into my game pretty easily thus far thankfully.

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files Accelerated: The Emerald City: Requiem
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 07:54:50 PM »
I feel like I need to put everything in spoiler tags...

(click to show/hide)
It's not the Heat, It's the Humanity.

The Emerald City Dresden Files Accelerated Campaign:   http://fate-accelerated-the-emerald-city.obsidianportal.com/

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 08:39:57 PM »
I fall into the camp of “incorporate anything that doesn’t require a painful change.”

Our group structures the story arcs like the book does, a few days/weeks of action separated by long stretches of down time.  That has allowed us to incorporate the end of Changes without any real stress, no one had any hooks with the Reds and Harry hasn’t shown up on screen.  On the other hand, if Lara Raith manages to get offed in a future book I’ll probably elide that as long as possible since one of my PCs has an important relationship with her.
90% of what I say is hyperbole intended for humorous effect.  Don't take me seriously. I don't.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 09:29:37 PM »
I generally prefer my games to exist in some form of 'alternate universe' relative to ongoing canon, due in part to some of the difficulties expressed here, as well as others.
As a player, one of the most compelling motivators in this has been a perceived tendency among GMs I play with to grant undue 'plot shields' to canon characters when attempting to maintain cohesion with ongoing canon, possibly so as to avoid difficult questions when the next book is released (sometimes because the GM is personally convinced that that character should be sufficiently far above the PCs as to be effectively untouchable (regardless of the PCs' personal power or preparation efforts).
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough