Author Topic: Wondering if you all would have an interset in something  (Read 2622 times)

Offline Galvatron

• Conversationalist
  • No matter where you go, there you are
    • View Profile
Wondering if you all would have an interset in something
« on: December 06, 2012, 06:28:49 AM »
I chit chat about the use of guns in fiction quite a bit, and find that loads of folk dont have a deep knowdlge of the subject.

What I'm wondering is this, how many of you would find a basic writers guide to handguns helpful?

If there is no interest I wont go further with it, but if people seem to want it I'd be happy to type something up.

Figured I'd offer at least
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side"

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
Re: Wondering if you all would have an interset in something
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 01:40:22 PM »
I'd be interested, specifically in vintage weapons from the 1930's - 1940's era. I get most of my gun info from my SO, who is an enthusiast, but a second source is always a good thing to have.
My male protagonist so far has a Luger (his brother-in-law took it off a SS officer), a 1930's vintage police-issue Colt, and a double-barreled, sawed-off Remington (since confiscated.) My female protag. has an unspecified .38 handgun.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Galvatron

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 04:47:07 PM »
Liz I sent you a PM with some factiods on those weapons.

I think I'll put out a guide that will discuss calibers, the guns, and some popular ways to carry them as well as some of the things I see authors flub up constantly.  Prob post it later today, hopefully some folk get some use out of it.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side"

Offline CenturionsofRome

• Conversationalist
  • Time Flees. So run like hell, and dont look back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 08:46:08 PM »
I have a character who uses a Berretta 92F alot, however the gun is excceedingly old and occasioinally breaks due to age. Note: the character only has access to ammo that is subsonic, though just barely. What would be the first things to go in a gun that is rated for several tens of thousands of rounds before failure?
What do you get when you combine the knowledge hoarding nature of a wizard, neurodiversity, an overly creative mind, and a growing passion for writing? Me! Go here to find out about a series I plan on writing.

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 09:06:04 PM »
Galvatron, your PM didn't go through for some reason. I deleted a bunch of old messages; maybe that will help.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Galvatron

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 10:48:12 PM »
I have a character who uses a Berretta 92F alot, however the gun is excceedingly old and occasioinally breaks due to age. Note: the character only has access to ammo that is subsonic, though just barely. What would be the first things to go in a gun that is rated for several tens of thousands of rounds before failure?

Well the type of ammo being shot has a lot to do with how fast the gun ages.  +P ammo will will wear you down faster, though the 9mm is not an absuive ruond and if you are keeping to subsonic.

That being said Id expect the following to be areas of issue.

The barrel, both the rear end and the frjont, check to make sure nothing cracks.  The guide rod spring is another thing you would want to replace after 10k rounds.  If the gun hasnt been kept lubed the locking block could have issues, same with the slide.

These parts of the gun move when the gun is fired and metal on metal will wear things out at some point.

The 92F is a solid gun of course, but these things do wear down.

I'd be interested, specifically in vintage weapons from the 1930's - 1940's era. I get most of my gun info from my SO, who is an enthusiast, but a second source is always a good thing to have.
My male protagonist so far has a Luger (his brother-in-law took it off a SS officer), a 1930's vintage police-issue Colt, and a double-barreled, sawed-off Remington (since confiscated.) My female protag. has an unspecified .38 handgun.

Liz, if you are using a Colt police style gun I would think its one of the 1917 models from Colts New Service line.  The fired the 45 acp or 45 auto rim as I recall.  Good guns and a good way to get above the .38s of the day.

Now a .38 special is an ok weapon, ill explain more about it in my guide.

The .38 Smith and Wesson was popular back then, not the same as the Speical, either one works but id prefer th .45.

The original 1911 was around back then, a fantastic single action semi-auto.  The design is still one of the most common and thats because it works.  Its another way to step into the .45. 

A sawed off shotgun is about what you think it is, not to much going on there but still a great weapon.

I am not a huge fan of Lugers, they are amazing guns, almost custom jobs really.  But all that fine craftsmenship has a price, they MUST be kept clean or they jam.  Thats why the Germans had those huge holsters with the flap to cover the gun, it slows down your draw and adds a new level of worry in the field.

If you keep them clean they are great, but then again the .45 beats anything the Luger shoots.

I have something typed up, it will go over what to look for when selecting a caliber, whats imporant to hand gun ballistics, the popular calibers for both defense against humans and against things tuffer than humans.

Just gota add the higher calibers and its ready
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 10:51:12 PM by Galvatron »

Offline CenturionsofRome

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 01:00:09 AM »
Out of cuiosity, how long does it take before the powder charges in 9mil rounds become unstable/inert?
What do you get when you combine the knowledge hoarding nature of a wizard, neurodiversity, an overly creative mind, and a growing passion for writing? Me! Go here to find out about a series I plan on writing.

Offline Galvatron

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 01:13:23 AM »
Out of cuiosity, how long does it take before the powder charges in 9mil rounds become unstable/inert?

You know being honest I dont know if anyone has ever let one sit long enough.

I would think as long as it wasnt messed with the gun powder would stay gun powder, and if the primer sets it if off it should still shoot. 

I guess the brass on the case could weaken so shooting old worn ammo might no be safe, but my gut tells me as long as the case is intact it should at least fire.

Offline CenturionsofRome

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 01:24:55 AM »
Thanks Galvatron. :)

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 09:20:22 PM »
Not to be a killjoy Galvatron but there actually is a book on weapons.
It's part of the "Howdunit" series of books.
Armed and Dangerous: A Writer's Guide to Weapons (Howdunit Writing) [Paperback]

That doesn't invalidate what you're offering.
A lot of people just want a quick questioned answered or wouldn't know where to even
begin to ask so being an online info source is a really good thing.
You could probably offer a research service - I would think.
You find info out on things in weird places.  Was watching a reality pawn show and discovered that you don't need a special sellers license for guns made before 1899 I think it is.  After 1899, you have to have a special sellers license. 

Offline Galvatron

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 01:44:45 AM »
Its a good point, I suppose just being around for questions is jsut as good

I think for the moment ill just offer my assitance to anyone that needs it.

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 03:49:00 AM »
I have several books on firearms which I refer to when I need to.

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 07:44:41 PM »

Galvatron's pretty much got wear covered.  Springs are a favorite, and any contact points between moving parts, such as the slide.  As for barrels, it'll depend on what loads your're using.  Soft stuff, say un-jacketed rounds will cause fouling, but proper care makes that not so much of an issue.  But if you're using steel-jacketed rounds, you'll cause a great deal more wear.  Cheap, steel cartridges will do the same.

As for how long ammo lasts, it really depends on how it was made, how it was stored.  Modern powder, stored cool and dry?  It'll last for ages.  (The primers are where your mileage will really vary.)  So ammo buried in sealed cans, wrapped in plastic you can get away with your letting your  characters use.  But ammo they pick out of the pockets of the skeleton buried under the old oak tree or in a sub-basement drain?  That should be a no-go.

Offline Compass Rose

• Conversationalist
  • Bassist holding down the low end
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2012, 08:16:11 PM »
Great idea here.  Shoot M-16s, GAUs, and S&W combat specials (.38) while in the USAF. Military has since gone to .45s for the greater stopping power, but so long as it is cleaned as needed the old .38s were pretty sturdy weapons. Reverse true with M-16s, which we said "were made by Mattel" because of all the plastic parts. The GAUs were basically M-15s with metal telescoping stocks, designed for K-9 troops or folks getting in and out of vehicles a lot. As a security police officer I used GAUs a lot. With the metal stock, they could in emergencies used as a club, especially in situations where there was risk of the slugs going thru walls and hitting people not involved in various situations. The 16s had great stopping and penetration power for the most part, but our 16s jammed up on a regular basis while out on the firing line, even when recently cleaned. For a while we officers were allowed to carry both S&W and either 16s/GAUs when on duty, the rifle for when we were in support of security for nuclear weapons and warbirds, the .38s when working the law enforcement side of the house.

Also fired 40mm weapons and m60 machine guns enough to be able to use one if needed, but not enough to be really familiar with them. Except to say the old m60s were big enough and heavy enough that only really strong people (mostly guys) could actually carry them around and shoot them at the same time, mostly as a suppression weapon as you can't aim at all well under those circumstances. If I was to shoot one, i'd want to be flat on the ground behind it, on the side away from the brass eject 'chute.' 40 mike mikes on the other hand are pretty light, are usually mounted underneath a M16 (well, they were in the USAF at the time I was in). Easy to fire, but you can't really aim it real well.

Main problem with most weapons as used in fiction is that the majority of them really need to be kept clean. Some of the old Soviet AKs could keep on shooting even under grungy conditions, which is why, even while they are a relatively old design, there are so many of them, as well as knock offs of the design, out there and in use...plus they could use many types of ammo as well. Made them a big favorite of insurgent / guerilla forces all over the world.
The Universe without Music is Madness