Author Topic: Hexing! We got a problem  (Read 7230 times)

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Hexing! We got a problem
« on: December 04, 2012, 03:24:54 PM »
Okay
As a GM my Wizard PC is driving his car away from the scene of a battle when *Tag High Concept of Wizard* his car dies.
In all the panic his emotions caused the car to get hexed.

Cool, fine.
NOW ONTO THE PROBLEM!

Now. I have a PC who is just a Regular joe, he is using a Fancy Gun against a Wizard NPC, the Wizard under duress causes an unintended Hexing of Regular Joe's Fancy Gun.
Should Regular Joe get a Fate Point?
I'd argue, yes
The Wizard is basically putting a unintended temporary aspect of "Gun Not working" on that character. I also say he should be compelled because he should be able to pay it off if he wanted to.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Re: Hexing! We got a problem
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 03:52:44 PM »
Not only should Regular Joe receive a FP (if the compel is accepted), but WizardNPC should spend one.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 04:10:26 PM »
Agreed with Tedronai. If the Wizard's aspect is helping him out, that's an Invoke.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 04:57:30 PM »
The wizard doesn't need to wait for an unintentional hex. He can immediately call as much power as his conviction, without needing to roll or spend stress, and unload it on the gun. A typical Dresdenverse wizard that was born in the last thirty years or so can automatically destroy any technology more complex that pre-WWII guns with 5 shifts of power. And you don't get a fate point because intentional hexing is part of the rules of mortal magic, not anyone's high concept. If the wizard was 200 years old OTOH, a power 6 intentional hex could disable everything up to steam engines and old West revolvers in 2-3 entire zones as the basic hexing begins to scale from the type of technology the wizard had back in his day...

Offline Orladdin

• Conversationalist
  • The Undauntable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 05:39:00 PM »
The wizard doesn't need to wait for an unintentional hex. He can immediately call as much power as his conviction, without needing to roll or spend stress, and unload it on the gun. A typical Dresdenverse wizard that was born in the last thirty years or so can automatically destroy any technology more complex that pre-WWII guns with 5 shifts of power. And you don't get a fate point because intentional hexing is part of the rules of mortal magic, not anyone's high concept. If the wizard was 200 years old OTOH, a power 6 intentional hex could disable everything up to steam engines and old West revolvers in 2-3 entire zones as the basic hexing begins to scale from the type of technology the wizard had back in his day...

Yeah, the intentional hexing rules are hella broken.  I insist on charging stress for those kind of shenanigans at my table. 

A wizard having his own toys fail = compel on the wizard.
A wizard trying to destroy something offensively = a spell as normal.  (When this occurs, I may also compel a bunch of other stuff/people nearby for other, unintentional hexes, but I consider it like compelling a scene aspect at that point.)
There is never a blanket answer to an ethical question.  This includes the Laws of Magic.

Perpetrator of The Cold Days Release FAQ

"I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones."
-- The Doctor, Timewyrm: Genesys

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 07:33:05 PM »
Intentional Hexing still takes up a turn and power beyond your conviction still has to be payed for as usual.
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline JDK002

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 08:03:29 PM »
Yeah, the intentional hexing rules are hella broken.  I insist on charging stress for those kind of shenanigans at my table. 

A wizard having his own toys fail = compel on the wizard.
A wizard trying to destroy something offensively = a spell as normal.  (When this occurs, I may also compel a bunch of other stuff/people nearby for other, unintentional hexes, but I consider it like compelling a scene aspect at that point.)
Me too, if it's during a conflict at any rate.  Intentional by RAW is basically a stress free magical maneuver that you don't have to roll for.

Outside of combat I don't really see a reason to do so though.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 09:11:45 PM »
I haven't had much trouble with the power of hexing. It's a full action to use against a supplemental action to draw another gun, after all. And most of the characters I use don't even use guns.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 10:31:06 PM »
I insist on charging stress for those kind of shenanigans at my table.
Then why would a wizard with Conviction 5 but Power 10 would ever use intentional hexing if it costs stress? They could cast an offensive spell with that stress cost and blast the enemy to bits - or still use the energy for hexing, just a much bigger hexing.

Intentional hexing is not a drawback of human magic - its a legitimate use of it, much like one can do minor effects like opening doors, moving around objects, throwing some wind - also without paying stress.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 11:57:30 PM »
Hexing an ipod, no Stress. Hexing a Semi-Automatic Handgun, Stress
Lighting a Candle, No Stress. Super Fireball, Stress.

We've kinda gone off topic.

So, I'm happy with NPC Wizard controlled by GM having to spend a fate point to accidentally hex Regular Joe's Item.
And having Regular Joe receive the Fate point, or being able to pay it off.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 12:42:57 AM »
The wizard already paid refresh for being able to hex as part of his powers and gets the significant drawback of not being able to use technology, which no other character type gets in the world. Intentional hexing without both being mortal and having a lot of refresh on magic costs 1 refresh as a stand-alone power, similar cost to possessing some of the rarer catches like "Holy".

Essentially, it is not that the wizard is hexing technology. It is that technology has the "catch" of mortal magic. Just like everyone in this world has a significant weakness, so does technology have the weakness of hexing. By removing that factor, you change the balance of power significantly.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 12:45:23 AM »
It's not a significant drawback for a wizard to be unable to use technology.  That restriction is enforced wholly through compels.  Compels are not a bad thing.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 01:07:10 AM »
A mortal having his tech hexed by a wizard would also be a compel and, as you say, compels are not a bad thing.

Unless the plane you're flying in gets hexed.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 01:41:52 AM »
A mortal having his tech hexed by a wizard would also be a compel and, as you say, compels are not a bad thing.

So long as the mortal gets paid for it.

Unless the plane you're flying in gets hexed.

I suggest either buying out of that compel or demanding escalation.
If you meant that to amount to 'you die', then that's another issue, and such a compel should be refused entirely (not bought off).
Slough

Offline nick012000

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 02:53:12 AM »
The wizard already paid refresh for being able to hex as part of his powers and gets the significant drawback of not being able to use technology, which no other character type gets in the world. Intentional hexing without both being mortal and having a lot of refresh on magic costs 1 refresh as a stand-alone power, similar cost to possessing some of the rarer catches like "Holy".
You don't need to spend a lot of Refresh on magic to be able to Hex. Any practitioner can do it, so all you need is Channelling or Ritual to do it, and they only cost 2 refresh.
Come visit Dark Side of the Moon, the new home to the Nasuverse fandom!