Author Topic: Synthesist Template  (Read 2123 times)

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
Synthesist Template
« on: December 03, 2012, 02:20:17 PM »
A synthesist is a person who shares his body with creatures of the never never to gain access to their amazing power. A synthesist and his partners are bound heavily by laws and contract of their partnership, all power comes with a price and synthesist either be indebted to his partners or his partners indebted to him.

Musts: A synthesist must be in the know and must be able to constant contact the supernatural world. A synthesis should agree with his gm the limits each partners and discuss what bind him to his partners in advance of play.

Options:
Modular Abilities

Important Skills: None

Minimum Refresh Cost: -3

Here is an examples of a partners that a synthesist could have.

Name: Amon of the Burning Sands
High Concept: Banished Jinni
Power Options: Toughness, Recovery (catch Ice), Strength, Speed, Channeling Fire, Sponsored Magic Jinni   
Contract: The synthensist and him will work together until there shared purpose it complete (defeating Amon brother). Amon will not wrest control of the synthensists body from him and the synthesist will not carry out actions that that degrades Amon honor.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 02:37:19 PM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Magicpockets

Re: Synthesist Template
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 04:22:54 PM »
Is this by chance based on the summoner class variant from Pathfinder?

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 08:04:40 PM »
Pretty much.
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 08:36:20 PM »
I don't see why this wouldn't be represented as merely a subset of the Emissary of Power template, invoking the 'not necessarily Marked by Power' clause for whom it would be appropriate.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 07:05:49 AM »
Seems pretty different to me.

Emissaries get their power from a godlike being that uses them as a representative. Not from a normal supernatural that they have a fairly equal relationship with.

I guess you could use Emissary of Power for something like this, but why not make a new Template?

Offline studer

• Participant
  • Yabetcha!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 01:07:42 AM »
Seems like a reasonable Template to me. It can't be built by the spirit of any current template. It's like Sponsored Magic for Powers. Good idea.
"Rules are GOOD. Rules help control the fun!" -Monica Geller, Friends

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 01:22:17 AM »
Its an odd template really because the options kind of have to be decided on a case by case basis, though I suppose you could just steal an NPC from Our World as short cut for setting up your options. 
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 03:13:11 AM »
I was about to add this to the Custom Template thread when I realized that I'm not quite sure how it works.

Does every Synthesist take Modular Abilities with the set of modular Powers determined by the possessing creature?

Offline Vairelome

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 04:16:36 AM »
This template is more or less my origin theory for the vampire courts.  In the Red and Black cases, the human side of the deal went long on power and failed at the self-preservation part of negotiations.  The White Court founder got less power, but managed to cut a better deal on the self-preservation end.  If I'm right, the courts should serve as a cautionary tale for anyone planning the Synthesist route to power in the Dresden Files universe (and the White Court Vampire, White Court Virgin, and Red Court Infected templates could end up as specific examples of a Synthesist approach).

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 01:18:53 PM »
I was about to add this to the Custom Template thread when I realized that I'm not quite sure how it works.

Does every Synthesist take Modular Abilities with the set of modular Powers determined by the possessing creature?

Yep that is how it works. Though as a template I have to admit it is kind of useless as what it can do is dependant on the partner so a jinn synthesist would look very different from an incubi synthesist who in turn would not be identical to an angelic synthesist. So it seems a little mad for them all to share a template, I was kind of wondering if there was a  neater way to but I can't think of one of the top of my head.
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 07:21:49 PM »
I wouldn't require that they take Modular Abilities, though I would suggest it as a viable option.  I see no reason why a particular Synthesist wouldn't have a single power, or single set of powers, with a (modified) refresh cost less than their refresh level, available to them that are not interchangeable, instead all (or each) being either 'on' or 'off'.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 07:24:20 PM by Tedronai »
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 10:23:40 PM »
I kind of feel like this is close to what the denarians would be except that there would be no coins, just you and the entity.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 10:57:27 PM »
Yep that is how it works. Though as a template I have to admit it is kind of useless as what it can do is dependant on the partner so a jinn synthesist would look very different from an incubi synthesist who in turn would not be identical to an angelic synthesist. So it seems a little mad for them all to share a template, I was kind of wondering if there was a  neater way to but I can't think of one of the top of my head.

It's a bit mad, but I'm adding this to the list anyway.