Author Topic: 4-point Sponsored Magic Item Slots?  (Read 1536 times)

Offline nick012000

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
4-point Sponsored Magic Item Slots?
« on: December 01, 2012, 01:42:35 PM »
If you have the 4-point version of Sponsored Magic (like, for instance, having Seelie/Unseelie Magic from being one of the Faerie Knights), do you get the item slots from Ritualist and Channeler? The book says that it's functionally equivalent to buying them both for the relevant magic type on p. 287, but doesn't say anything about item slots.
Come visit Dark Side of the Moon, the new home to the Nasuverse fandom!

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: 4-point Sponsored Magic Item Slots?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 01:59:34 PM »
You get, what is noted with the individual sponsored magic, if it doesn't specifically state that you get item slots, you don't. Instead, you have the sponsor to help you, if you need it. I think that's what they mean by "functionally": You can do the same stuff, but it is not quite the same power.
I don't even think it is possible to get focus items with refinement, if you only have sponsored magic, but that is just a personal opinion, I don't have anything backing it up.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline GryMor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 04:22:48 PM »
Base sponsored magic gives your 4 slots, less 2 slots for having Thaumaturgy and less 2 slots for having Evocation (but then, having those reduces the Refresh cost by one each as well, so it's a wash). IIRC, sponsored magic allows for Refinement use in the same way that Ritual and Channeling do, but I'll have to look up a page reference.

Offline nick012000

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 01:46:19 PM »
Also, a question: can you take a point of Debt to increase the power of a non-potion Enchanted Item?
Come visit Dark Side of the Moon, the new home to the Nasuverse fandom!

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 06:20:32 PM »
You can take a point of Debt to do anything that a FP could do, subject to the whims of the Sponsor, so generally no.
For enchanted items which require a targetting roll, however, you can spend a FP (or incur Debt) in increase that roll, which is generally superior to increasing the Power of the effect.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough