Author Topic: Changes to the RPG to reflect later books?  (Read 1703 times)

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Changes to the RPG to reflect later books?
« on: November 29, 2012, 10:17:03 PM »
There are lots of new things that could be introduced into the game even with the relatively small number of novels we've seen since it came out. Things I'd like to see in a new rulebook as an expansion include;

1) Some info on global supernatural politics/threats and how to organize game backgrounds beyond city-level.
2) Statting people and beings that were glossed over as "heavyweights" in the first two books.
3) Providing example templates for more high-power, high-stakes games like "Fae Lord" or "Senior Wizard".
4) Examine magic/ritual use in the macro scale - the rules and limitations for performing the big stuff such as conjunctions and the like, or how more powerful wizards often perform a lot more than 4 spells per combat, manage to counter enemy magic, or sense magic from afar.
5) An expansion on the locations of the Nevernever and games focused on them rather than the physical world.

Basically, just as Your Story and Our World covers the supernatural world in mostly street-level and the game focuses a lot in investigation and the masquerade and the gritty detective novel feel, an expansion that would address the "high fantasy", high power gameplay possible in the Dresdenverse.

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
  • Morgan- Best Warden ever.
    • View Profile
Re: Changes to the RPG to reflect later books?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 11:41:18 PM »
In all honestly, this could be the reason The Paranet Papers are still in the works.

1)  Based on the sample chapters we've seen, this seems likely (given the upcoming chapter on the Russian Revolution, and info on post-Changes Paranet.)  I wouldn't expect a full write-up, as even Harry doesn't always know the full scope of things.
2)  I hope they will, but I'm expecting upper-medium weight class.  Jim loves to show previously un-found abilities for his heavyweights repeatedly.  It's easier to wait for them to be dead before writing them up.  On the other hand, this has been a continual request on-site, and we know Fred reads this site.
3)  Same as 2.
4)  My answer for macro-magic is covered by 2.  As for counterspelling, we see Dresden do more deflection than counterspelling.  I know there are a few cases of direct counterspelling, but I can't think of them off-hand.  If it's covered, my money is on some sort of "combat thaumaturgy".  For detect magic spells, we don't actually see Dresden do a lot of this, unless it's a tracking spell.  Some supernatural predators have sensory abilities that are similar, or couple be amped up.
5)  I think there's a chapter covering a part of it in the next book.  Cold Days added a little too.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 10:44:54 PM »
If the new book doesn't cover that stuff, I'd be up for a fan project.

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 06:18:22 AM »
If the new book doesn't cover that stuff, I'd be up for a fan project.

I think that goes without saying.