Poll

Is Cowl Simon Petrovich?

YES
NO

Author Topic: [CD spoilers] Cowl = Simon reference thread  (Read 57824 times)

wizard nelson

Re: [CD spoilers] Cowl = Simon reference thread
« Reply #135 on: December 20, 2012, 08:21:16 PM »
Not officially, no, but it's made clear in TC that Peabody has had access to all this sort of paperwork and nobody's ever thought to mention it.  They seem to think of him as barely more than a photocopier and filing system.
it wasn't on the books, generally you don't write down super secret locations an what not. cause other people can steal the paper... what it points to is cowl being inside the WC and probably who showed with an army of spiders, standing in a way and unleashing an army seems to be part of his M.O.
also peabody had the same musty smell on him as cowl, probably from hanging around him.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 08:25:12 PM by wizard nelson »

Offline madness

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 20, 2012, 09:49:50 PM »
There would be requisitions and correspondence.

It is pretty heavily implied at the end of Turn Coat that Peabody had access to all of the leaked information and that everyone overlooked him since he was basically just the court stenographer during meetings.

Even if he wasn't involved in all of the Senior Council meetings he was probably able to piece a lot of things together when they ended the meetings and the Senior Council members promptly began issuing various orders.

Offline cedz

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 21, 2012, 12:01:28 AM »
Regarding the WOJ which talks about Simon and a death curse:

See what happened to all the vampires around Simon when they assaulted his compound immediately prior to the onstage events in Summer Knight.

Note that Jim doesn't actually state that Simon cast this death curse nor that he died. He just specifically pointed to all the vampires dying around him. Another way to look at this quote considering we know that Cowl has survived death curses before is that this particular death curse wasn't cast by Simon but at him and all the vampires that happened to be around him. He managed to defend against the curse but vampires were obliterated. This chain of logic could work if one of the wizards of Archangel recognised Simon as the traitor who let the Red's bypass the formidable wards and decided to try and take him down as a last ditched effort.

We also know that Simon had a female apprentice which fits really well as being Kumori.

Offline Sydna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 21, 2012, 12:06:43 AM »
Regarding the WOJ which talks about Simon and a death curse:

Note that Jim doesn't actually state that Simon cast this death curse nor that he died. He just specifically pointed to all the vampires dying around him. Another way to look at this quote considering we know that Cowl has survived death curses before is that this particular death curse wasn't cast by Simon but at him and all the vampires that happened to be around him. He managed to defend against the curse but vampires were obliterated. This chain of logic could work if one of the wizards of Archangel recognised Simon as the traitor who let the Red's bypass the formidable wards and decided to try and take him down as a last ditched effort.

We also know that Simon had a female apprentice which fits really well as being Kumori.

I don't recall anything about Simon having a female apprentice?
Not by fire but by ice.

Offline cedz

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 21, 2012, 12:29:25 AM »
I don't recall anything about Simon having a female apprentice?

We know that Simon had a female apprentice named Larisa Yevtushenko from both the paranet files and I think from either one of the books or a WOJ. I can't seem to track down the book quote at this time though. She is mentioned directly in an excert from the Paranet files at this site though - http://www.evilhat.com/home/paranet-papers-sneak-peek-novgorod-4/

Offline Cenphx

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 21, 2012, 01:17:17 AM »
We also know that Morgan had some sort of relationsip/connection to her (though I dont remember where I learned this) which helps explain some of his extreme animosity to Harry in SK.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 21, 2012, 01:22:58 AM »
We also know that Morgan had some sort of relationsip/connection to her (though I dont remember where I learned this) which helps explain some of his extreme animosity to Harry in SK.

Actually, all we know is that someone dear to him died at Archangel. We think it's Larisa though.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 21, 2012, 03:00:49 AM »
Actually, all we know is that someone dear to him died at Archangel. We think it's Larisa though.

That actually finally makes sense of that.

(Before TC, I was very into Morgan and Simon as the great secret romance of the DV and a Cowl/Simon reveal playing off that.)
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

wizard nelson

« Reply #143 on: December 22, 2012, 07:07:13 PM »
just to throw a wrench into all you simon cowl shippers:
Also, just afterward Fred mentions that Jim said he didn't have a whole lot down on Simon Pietrovich. On a mythbusting tangent that is another strong hint that Simon is both dead and not a member of the Black Council (if Jim's earlier mention of what Simon's death curse was isn't enough).:
ha! why wouldn't he have alot on him if he's secretly a dark uberwizard?

Offline Elegast

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 22, 2012, 07:53:55 PM »
Also, just afterward Fred mentions that Jim said he didn't have a whole lot down on Simon Pietrovich.

I hear that a lot. Could anyone point me to the source and/or give me the exact wording?
My "Maeve came to Splattercon!!! disguised as a vampire" theory : Maeve did it

All the theories on the Dresden Files

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
  • Proud member of the Purple Court.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 23, 2012, 03:59:18 AM »
I hear that a lot. Could anyone point me to the source and/or give me the exact wording?

The only thing I can recall like that is that Jim is giving the DFRPG people free reign on Simon's backstory for the Paranet Papers supplement. Here's a link: http://www.evilhat.com/home/paranet-papers-sneak-peek-novgorod-4/
Please, call me Count :).

Thanks go to Shecky for the nickname and Serack for the avatar ^,..,^

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 23, 2012, 05:55:45 PM »

[looks at notes]
Hmmm, it looks like that quote is not as clear cut as I remember it.

It's from a podcast from 2d6 feet in a random direction, #56 (from April 2010, I believe).  I have a transcript for the relevant parts (5-7 minute mark), the rest of the hour is not really about the DF.   Serack -- I don't know if you have this down already, so you may want to add it.

Regular font is Fred, bold face is the interviewers.  Fred is talking about how much input Jim had for the new material.

So, we got a few tidbits from him, we will be getting to invent details; far more detail than we invented for the core books.  Um in a number of cases, but we'll also be drawing from "Hey Jim give us a few bullet points about a particular location".  You know, if we want the people to work for the, the player characters stand in the Nevernever chapter to work for the Gatekeeepr in some capacity, what do we need to know about that, and what came out of that was Jim telling me about where the Gatekeepers demesne is.  Where his domain is, where his private citadel is ensconced somewhere in the Nevernever, and the route to it, and I will reveal that here involves walking across the surface of the moon.

Nice, I mean clearly some sort of magical protection...

So you've got that sort of thing in there, but we've also got things like where Simon Pietrovich, Justin Dumorne's mentor, and the Senior Council member that was a... um... removed from power, shall we say in book four, he clearly lived somewhere in Russia, likely during the Russian Revolution, so we, how much control do we have over him.  {quoting Jim} "Fair amount, I don't really have a lot in mind for him, so obviously I'll want to look at it, what your ideas are, but you can do, you can mess around with that".  So we're like "OK, we're going to make him a friend of the Czar, as the Russian revolution is breaking out and have that, you know, tie his hands a little bit and push some things into a direction the is going to be a problem".

That's pretty cool.  What a terrible terrible set of constraints you have for a licensed product. 

So on the on hand you've got Jim's "I don't really have a lot in mind", but on the other, you've got Fred seemingly avoiding declaring that Simon is dead.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
  • Proud member of the Purple Court.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 24, 2012, 04:25:38 AM »
[looks at notes]

It's from a podcast from 2d6 feet in a random direction, #56 (from April 2010, I believe).  I have a transcript for the relevant parts (5-7 minute mark), the rest of the hour is not really about the DF.   Serack -- I don't know if you have this down already, so you may want to add it.

Regular font is Fred, bold face is the interviewers.  Fred is talking about how much input Jim had for the new material.

So on the on hand you've got Jim's "I don't really have a lot in mind", but on the other, you've got Fred seemingly avoiding declaring that Simon is dead.

...Damn  :(. I can only hope that Jim changes his mind after seeing this thread and decides to make Simon=Cowl in spite of the paranet papers.
Please, call me Count :).

Thanks go to Shecky for the nickname and Serack for the avatar ^,..,^

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 24, 2012, 04:29:41 AM »
[looks at notes]

Saved for future use.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 24, 2012, 01:30:52 PM »
[looks at notes]

hmmm guess I never listened to that one cause I only added it to the iago interview index in the DFRPG section
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*