Poll

Is Cowl Simon Petrovich?

YES
NO

Author Topic: [CD spoilers] Cowl = Simon reference thread  (Read 57814 times)

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
  • Proud member of the Purple Court.
    • View Profile
Re: [CD spoilers] Cowl = Simon reference thread
« Reply #120 on: December 20, 2012, 01:36:14 PM »
So what happens if you cast a Death Curse while you are under the effect of a "ward off death" spell?

Have we seen any examples of "ward of death" spells? Do they even exist? If they exist than why don't more people use them instead of relying on shields and enchanted items for protection?
Please, call me Count :).

Thanks go to Shecky for the nickname and Serack for the avatar ^,..,^

Offline madness

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 20, 2012, 01:48:24 PM »
So what happens if you cast a Death Curse while you are under the effect of a "ward off death" spell?

Not sure what you mean.

Are you suggesting that Kumori kept him 'not dead' like she did for Marcone's thug?  I guess that is possible but it makes the casting of death curses a little less likely, IMO, and also takes away some of the potential fun of letting us see a partially botched necromantic resurrection.

I wonder what would happen if you used necromancy to make his dead body a homunculus for either his soul or his ghost?  Basically zombie his body but then dump his soul/ghost back into it.  It would probably allow him to retain his skill and power magically speaking (instead of having to relearn it like Luccio and Corpsetaker had to do after their body switching) and the use of a soul (or a ghost spirit) might work as a power source for the zombie body (allowing it to exist permanently and without a drummer or a beat to follow).

The way I had it playing out in my head is that Simon DID die (and cast his death curse) at Archangel (and he possibly took one or more death curses there as well...either from the traitor or because he WAS the traitor) and that Kumori escaped with his body and either brought him back herself or made a deal with the Kemmlerites to bring him back (thus explaining his providing aid to them during the run up to the Dark Hallow).

Offline madness

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 20, 2012, 01:49:30 PM »
Have we seen any examples of "ward of death" spells? Do they even exist? If they exist than why don't more people use them instead of relying on shields and enchanted items for protection?

After thinking about it a bit I think that he might be referencing what Kumori did to ward off the death of Marcone's goon long enough for the paramedics to arrive.

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 20, 2012, 01:53:17 PM »
After thinking about it a bit I think that he might be referencing what Kumori did to ward off the death of Marcone's goon long enough for the paramedics to arrive.

^yup^

I'm also thinking about those uber-ghouls in the Deeps.  Sure, they had super healing power, but drops of blood coming together and reforming is a little much.  Instead, what if there was a "ward off death" spell cast on them, keeping them alive until their natural healing powers could kick in.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline madness

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 20, 2012, 02:02:11 PM »
^yup^

I'm also thinking about those uber-ghouls in the Deeps.  Sure, they had super healing power, but drops of blood coming together and reforming is a little much.  Instead, what if there was a "ward off death" spell cast on them, keeping them alive until their natural healing powers could kick in.

Anything is possible but the way that the scene is written it doesn't seem so odd that they are like sabretooth tigers, direwolves, giant short-faced bears or malks - ancient and mythologically powerful versions of modern killers.

Regular ghouls have incredible healing powers and the Red King basically did something similar when Harry amputated his arm.  So none of the abilities displayed by the super ghouls is really unprecedented - the strength of their powers is just amplified.

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 20, 2012, 02:03:25 PM »
Anything is possible but the way that the scene is written it doesn't seem so odd that they are like sabretooth tigers, direwolves, giant short-faced bears or malks - ancient and mythologically powerful versions of modern killers.

Regular ghouls have incredible healing powers and the Red King basically did something similar when Harry amputated his arm.  So none of the abilities displayed by the super ghouls is really unprecedented - the strength of their powers is just amplified.

I figured it was a call out of sorts to the classic troll, which can only be killed by fire. everythign else heals in minutes :)
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline madness

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 20, 2012, 02:14:07 PM »
I figured it was a call out of sorts to the classic troll, which can only be killed by fire. everythign else heals in minutes :)

Yeah, the whole "proto-creature from the dawn of time and darkest depths of human memory" vibe really suited the super ghouls. 

Since multiple sources indicate that there is an almost endless amount of odd places/creatures in the Nevernever and since we mostly only see those that are close to the mortal world (and only a small portion of those even) I never really had any reason to look any deeper into the origins of the super ghouls.

I do really hope that we find out how in the hell Cowl managed contact and control such ancient powerful creatures though.  Eb pulling the Kenku out of his arse is the only other example we have of wizards summoning or leading really exotic and cool beings from the Nevernever.

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 20, 2012, 02:39:09 PM »
Yeah, the whole "proto-creature from the dawn of time and darkest depths of human memory" vibe really suited the super ghouls. 

Since multiple sources indicate that there is an almost endless amount of odd places/creatures in the Nevernever and since we mostly only see those that are close to the mortal world (and only a small portion of those even) I never really had any reason to look any deeper into the origins of the super ghouls.

I do really hope that we find out how in the hell Cowl managed contact and control such ancient powerful creatures though.  Eb pulling the Kenku out of his arse is the only other example we have of wizards summoning or leading really exotic and cool beings from the Nevernever.

What about Binder? the minions he summoned weren't that powerful but (IMO) were certainly exotic and cool.

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 20, 2012, 03:09:17 PM »
There was also the guy who summoned the spiders on the island.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 20, 2012, 03:11:08 PM »
We also mustn't forget the demon Victor Sells summoned.

Offline madness

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 20, 2012, 05:10:27 PM »
All of those seem like random "summon a known demon or common minions from Faerie" types of things though.

Not "I saved some Sidhe noble's ass 200 years ago so he hooked me with a private army" things. ;)

wizard nelson

« Reply #131 on: December 20, 2012, 06:38:13 PM »
haven't seen this in any threads yet so i was wondering if anyone made the connection between cowl having ghouls at his beck and call and the ghouls showing at luccio's boot camp? which iirc was known by a very limited number of people, none of which was a dead wizard named simon :P i'd have to look but a woj says cowls super ghouls and why he'd have command of them was important.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 20, 2012, 08:08:32 PM »
haven't seen this in any threads yet so i was wondering if anyone made the connection between cowl having ghouls at his beck and call and the ghouls showing at luccio's boot camp? which iirc was known by a very limited number of people, none of which was a dead wizard named simon :P

If Simon were Cowl, why would he not have access to information via Peabody ?
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

wizard nelson

« Reply #133 on: December 20, 2012, 08:14:44 PM »
If Simon were Cowl, why would he not have access to information via Peabody ?
peabody wasn't on that list...

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 20, 2012, 08:17:08 PM »
peabody wasn't on that list...

Not officially, no, but it's made clear in TC that Peabody has had access to all this sort of paperwork and nobody's ever thought to mention it.  They seem to think of him as barely more than a photocopier and filing system.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.