Author Topic: Suggestions for stories of the Fae  (Read 1961 times)

Offline Catryn008

• Participant
    • View Profile
Suggestions for stories of the Fae
« on: November 26, 2012, 12:45:56 AM »
I'll admit it, the mythos of the british isle/european tradition has never really appealed to me, so I'm rusty on it. (With the exception of Beuowulf, for some weird reason...)

Anyway, I've got two players who have ties to the fae, one's an emissary of power and the other is a changeling. I'm at a total loss as to what to do with them.  Fortunately they are both aligned with the Summer Court, so I don't have a potential inter-party explosion.

So I want to appeal to this most knowledgable group of folks, any suggestions for resources for me to learn more about the fae?

Thanks!

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for stories of the Fae
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 05:00:32 AM »
Personally I like good old grimm's for that kind of thing. It's not always directly fey related, but you can use some of it for inspiration.

Offline Thrakkesh

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 06:39:42 AM »
Grimm's Fairytales are a start, but just based on random Amazon Searching there seem to be a few highly rated books that break down the History of the Sidhe and Irish Folklore in general.  There's a lot of history there, so it's really a matter of how far the rabbit hole you want to go. The Celtic Twilight by Yeats or one of the many Sidhe books out there--most of which I wouldn't be surprised to find in your local Library TBH.  Supposedly 'A History of Irish Fairies' is another good one to check out.  I tend to stick with info in the DV though because I am selectively lazy and parsing out the good research books from the 'trip to crazytown' ones is a littttttle tricky.

Also, why not tell us a bit about their characters, or what you're trying to integrate them in?  Seems like a good place to get some really great suggestions.

Offline Catryn008

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 06:00:40 PM »
The Changeling's mother is a Nixie who is presurring the Changeling to make a decision. Human or Fae. Mom had an annoying habit of showing up whenever and where ever the mood hit her. Usually caused a scene.

During character creation it was decided that the Emissary got Mom to leave the Changeling alone. They haven't really established how that was done and the Changeling doesn't know that is what caused the Emissary to become an Emissary.  :)  Basically his bargain to get Mom to go away, was to become marked by power. (Note: I think I'm confusing the templates he used. Unfortunately all my notes are at home...darn work! lol) He has the high concept of Friend of the Summer Lady.

So I opened the game with him receiving a package labeled: To: Changeline c/o Emissary.  :P  I figure if he's the reason she can't talk to her own daughter, then he can play messenger boy. The present was a birthday present to the Changeling. Nothing funky about it other than its fae made and very expensive. (At least at this point there isn't.)

So that's where we are. The Emissary has had an affinity for fae since he was a child (he's able to walk into the nevernever--I'm awaiting for the day I tell him that he's opened a door and stepped through into a field of flowers or something. He is used to accidently walking in his backstory, but it will be fun.).

I guess my issue is what would a fae want of a mortal? I know there are politics, but I have no idea where to start with that...

Oh and the Emissary has a fetch that has been popping up randomly through his backstory. He wants me to flesh out why, etc. I'm think the next time it appears it might be sent by mommy....

Offline Thrakkesh

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 03:31:45 AM »
So, according to Our World and the DV in general, Fae have a lot of reasons for hanging out in the mortal world: Reasons as trivial as boredom (Real boredom, the kind of mind bending, nothing ever changes-in-the-Nevernever) kind of way, a desire for more earthly pursuits to direct needs in the mortal world (Leanansidhe drinks human blood from artists and poets in exchange for inspiration for them, drawing power from it).  Humans are influences into the mortal world, a way for the Fae to amass more influence ('Oh, you want the city to bulldoze this park that happens to have ties to the Summer Court? Why, it just so happens I have this congressman in my debt... ') and a certain cachet. (If you're responsible for bringing in a Changeling who goes on to do something significant, that reflects well on you, which amasses power in the Sidhe world figuratively and literally)    Lastly, the fastest way for either court to replenish or increase their ranks (and power as a result) is Changelings.  That alone explains why both courts are inevitably very interested in anyone who's a Changeling.  Depending on the Changeling's progeny, it could be VERY interesting.   

The easiest way to get 'Mom' to leave them alone is straightforward: She owes the benefactor a favor (binding in the Faerie world). Alternatively, the benefactor owes the mother a favor--and if that's the case her leaving the child alone is a part of that.  Generally speaking, with Fae plots, go complicated and convoluted: It just isn't all that fun for them if it isn't confusing and contradictory.

The obvious example of a kind of daisy chain of 'Why do they get so involved in Mortal affairs anyway?' Margaret runs into Lea somehow, manages to get a favor owed to her (Can't wait to hear that one!) That favor means looking 'after' Harry (and in typical Fae fashion she has a REALLLLLLLY funny idea of what that means).  Lea's queen finds out about it, and finds a way to possibly earn favors and influence over a pivotal Wizard with some powerful connections and enough raw power to make a potent ally or servant.  Because SHE's involved, Summer has to get involved, largely to stop that because there's no way in hell Winter gets an asset that powerful--but nobody gets to move openly. 

And yes, it can all boil down to something as simple as care for her child. Though to make the story more interesting, it should be an alien thing, barely understood by the Fae mother in question--and turn out as well as a five year old who Reallllly loves her pet hamster (and very probably ends up accidentally squishing it).

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 03:45:10 AM »
So I want to appeal to this most knowledgable group of folks, any suggestions for resources for me to learn more about the fae?
For modern fantasy, I like Seanan McGuire's series.  The courts are set up differently from Buther's version...better.  ;)  There are also a variety of web sources of varying quality.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Thrakkesh

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 03:47:14 AM »
Agreed.  It's a little more involved (though I think technically Fae in her series have free will and are not so tied to their nature--though that may be because the Queens are AWOL in that series), but she does a good job showcasing the various kinds and can be cribbed pretty safely for Dresden verse, I'd think.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 04:08:49 AM »
Agreed.  It's a little more involved (though I think technically Fae in her series have free will and are not so tied to their nature--though that may be because the Queens are AWOL in that series), but she does a good job showcasing the various kinds and can be cribbed pretty safely for Dresden verse, I'd think.
At risk of getting off subject, I don't think McGuire's sidhe have any more free will than Butchers - she just doesn't make the contrast between nature and choice a major theme.  She does show the fae succumbing to their nature at various points and makes habit / custom a nearly palpable force to the sidhe.  Similary, Butcher shows individual fae acting relatively freely (or at least against Court interests) on occasion. 

Now back to your regular programming!  :)

For a more antagonistic representation, check out Faerie Tale by Raymond E Feist.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer