Author Topic: Dispelling Enchanted Items  (Read 1003 times)

Offline Centarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Dispelling Enchanted Items
« on: November 22, 2012, 07:21:15 AM »
So I had an interesting situation happen today in a game I was playing. An enemy had an enchanted item that allowed her to take an extra action, she was doing some devastating damage to us and so one of the wizards thought it would be a good idea to try to disable the enchanted item. We looked up the rules on counterspells and performed the Lore assessment to determine the strength, and we thus learned that the effect had a power of 6. The wizard managed to pull off a 6 strength counterspell, but we do not know what happens. What do you guys think?

I know that normally when counterspelling you determine the strength of the spell, and if you can summon a counterspell more powerful than that it is, it is dispelled. Is an enchanted item a spell that can be dispelled? If so what is its strength (if not equal to its power). The problem we have here is that the spell she is using is basically a fragile aspect she places on herself that she tags instantly for another action, so there is no spell around to dispel on our turns.

I am aware that taking extra action is not supported by the rules, but this is something we have already messed with (one of our PCs is a chronomancer who has a rote spell that grants other PCs an extra action, since she has to spend an action to do this it is not a net gain of actions for the party, so we decided that was fine).

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Dispelling Enchanted Items
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 01:59:56 PM »
We looked up the rules on counterspells and performed the Lore assessment to determine the strength, and we thus learned that the effect had a power of 6. The wizard managed to pull off a 6 strength counterspell, but we do not know what happens. What do you guys think?
If the 'power of 6' is the power of a single use, one stored effect (i.e. spell) is countered.  If there aren't any stored effects left due to use, the item is suppressed and unusable even by taking mental stress for some short amount of time, probably a scene*.  If the 'power of 6' covers both the effect and any shifts spent on multiple uses, all of the effects would be countered. 

In other words, specifics depend on the construction of the item.

*Since counterspelling is evocation you might default suppression time to one instant / exchange instead of a scene.  I'd go with a scene to make counterspelling a viable option. 
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer