Author Topic: Son of Thor.  (Read 6526 times)

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Son of Thor.
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 06:45:39 PM »
It does seem that way.  Although for fun it would be interesting to see it only work on things that are bigger than you are.
That would be interesting. I feel you should get a refresh back though, -2 instead of -3

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2012, 07:03:53 PM »
You can do that with the Limitation custom Power.

I wouldn't, though. I don't recall anything in the myths that said Mjolnir was especially effective against big things. I think that's just the name the item's writer chose, not a thematic statement.

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2012, 07:19:50 PM »
Well, yeah.  I was just saying it could be interesting.

Also, one thing everyone seems to forget when writing up Mjolnir is that it could change size.

Offline PapaD

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2012, 11:04:13 AM »
Hmm, so are you talking Thor - actual norse mythology, or Thor, marvel comics version (if the actual norse myth, i'd disregard anything that Mjolnir does in the comics and check out something like the following:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mj%C3%B6llnir

(and considering the information there, i'd put the lightning control (channelling) and strength power in the hammer)

Offline Rougarou

• Conversationalist
  • Just like Disneyland.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2012, 01:17:10 AM »
While I agree with the statement that channeling can be much better than breath weapon, I picked that in my write up because it keeps the character from needing conviction and discipline to use it effectively. And I do agree that it seems odd to have a power on a weapon which provides a weapon rating to characters without a weapon, I think it's worth it for the range and the fact that you could do a lot of maneuvers with lightning, not to mention it may satisfy a catch that the hammer itself doesn't... Though technically the hammer would be holy... So there is that to consider too.
"So you fought a hobo who tried to use a ritual to make himself a god?"
"We called him Hobosus."
"What?"
"Hobo plus Jesus. Hobosus."
- From a DFRPG campaign.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2012, 03:56:01 AM »
You don't need to spend Refresh to get a narrative descriptor like "lightning". And 2 Refresh for one zone of range is nonsense. Even 1 Refresh is questionable, honestly, when you consider that Weapons weapons can have range for free.

Offline Rougarou

• Conversationalist
  • Just like Disneyland.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2012, 04:23:02 AM »
I disagree with the lightning damage being a narrative descriptor that you could get for free. A character with no supernatural power can't say that his baseball bat/bullets/rubber chicken is charged with lightning when he realizes that the iron golem he's fighting is weak to electricity.

Also, yes, you could throw any hammer one zone away for free, but then you have to go get it to use it again. I also give my players leeway on the one zone range for breath weapon because I feel it's a poorly written power (as has been mentioned on this forum before).
"We called him Hobosus."
"What?"
- From a DFRPG campaign.

Offline Rougarou

• Conversationalist
  • Just like Disneyland.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2012, 04:33:11 AM »
A question about the rules: Why the Mjolnir in your example has a + 1 refresh value? Maybe I am a little confused about the rules for the Items of power.

As someone else mentioned, an item of power's discount and the refresh of the powers attached to it must be at least -1. If there were at least three refresh of powers attached, the discount would be +2 for an obvious item.
"We called him Hobosus."
"What?"
- From a DFRPG campaign.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2012, 04:35:58 AM »
I disagree with the lightning damage being a narrative descriptor that you could get for free. A character with no supernatural power can't say that his baseball bat/bullets/rubber chicken is charged with lightning when he realizes that the iron golem he's fighting is weak to electricity.

Not what I meant.

My point is, a taser costs no Refresh. And it's electrical. Mjolnir's electrical-ness should likewise be free.

Just because the narrative tags attached to items are free doesn't mean you can swap them out whenever you want. It just means you need not spend Refresh on owning items with them.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2012, 03:30:24 PM »
If I were statting up Mjölnir, here's how I'd do it:
Mjölnir [-4]
Guided by Thought. You may call Mjölnir back to your by a simple effort of will.  This is normally a free action, meaning that the hammer can return immediately after being thrown.  If any attempt is made to prevent the axe from returning, it is opposed by your Discipline.  Additionally, gain +1 to any Weapon rolls made using the axe.
Pinnacle of Dwarven Craftsmanship. Mjölnir is a Weapon:4, instead of the usual Weapon:2.
Mountain Crushing Blows. Mjölnir is capable of decimating mountains in the right hands.  Once per scene, for a Fate point, you may add your Might skill as additional stress on a successful attack.  Additionally, if you have Strength powers, add double the stress bonus from those abilities when using this effect.
Shrinking. Mjölnir is easily concealed.  Thor could shrink it so that he could easily fit it in his tunic, but when drawn it became a massive war-hammer.  Because of this, Mjölnir only receives a +1 rebate for being an item of power.
Járngreipr Gloves.  The hammer may only be wielded by someone wearing the Járngreipr Gloves (these are not items of power themselves, as they simply allow one to wield the hammer Mjölnir).

This is based on the mythological hammer, not the Marvel comics one.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 03:35:27 PM by InFerrumVeritas »

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2012, 06:26:47 PM »
You forgot to say how much each power costs.

Also, typo in the first power Guided by Thought, you called it an axe.

I don't know about doubling stress from strength powers, those are pretty brutal already.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2012, 06:37:37 PM »
I don't know about doubling stress from strength powers, those are pretty brutal already.

It's only 1/scene and costs a FP.  Do you have to use it before you know you hit, or can you activate it after you know the attack succeeds?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2012, 09:34:26 PM »
Mountain Crushing Blows is a bit worrying. Powers that scale according to skills and other Powers tend to hard to balance, and this one could easily add a ton of damage to an attack. Even if costed perfectly, it might disrupt play since anything that can take a Mountain Crushing Blow will shrug off normal hits.

How long is the range of Guided By Thought? Can I call it to my hand after leaving it at home? And does it remove the normal need for a supplemental action to draw one's weapon?

Offline Rougarou

• Conversationalist
  • Just like Disneyland.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2012, 12:43:24 AM »
Not what I meant.

My point is, a taser costs no Refresh. And it's electrical. Mjolnir's electrical-ness should likewise be free.

Just because the narrative tags attached to items are free doesn't mean you can swap them out whenever you want. It just means you need not spend Refresh on owning items with them.

Ok, now we are on the same page.
"We called him Hobosus."
"What?"
- From a DFRPG campaign.

Offline noom777

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2012, 04:58:09 PM »
Any ideas about constructing a supernatural power which allows the user to shoot lightning strikes from his hands without the help of an item and without playing like a wizard.Also, how this power can be restricted with a strees track but give the player more times to use it before the track fills.Recharge using street lamps maybe?
Last, I want something more powerful than the Breath Weapon mentioned in the book.
Sorry for my storm of questions but I have no experience constructing abilities.
Thanks for your support!