Author Topic: Son of Thor.  (Read 6514 times)

Offline noom777

• Participant
    • View Profile
Son of Thor.
« on: November 08, 2012, 09:00:55 AM »
Hi to everyone!
I am the storyteller of an upcoming Dresden Files campaign and one of my players wants to build a character who will be son of the mighty god Thor. What supernatural abilities do you suggest he must take, how is it possible to construct abilities and apply some sort of restriction about using them(I am thinking about a stress track for using lightning etc.)?
Note:He has supernatural powers but in a restricted format because he knows nothing about his father.The refresh level of our campaign will be 9 points.
Any help would be much appreciated! Excuse me for my poor English.
Thanks in advance!

Offline Rougarou

• Conversationalist
  • Just like Disneyland.
    • View Profile
Re: Son of Thor.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 12:48:41 PM »
Hrm...
Inhuman Strength -2
Supernatural Toughness -4
The Catch (???) +?
Item of Power - Mjolnir +1
Breath Weapon (Lightning) -2

That's a total of -7 refresh assuming a +0 catch. If you get at least a +1 Catch, he can upgrade to supernatural strength. Also, you could start with supernatural strength and no Mjolnir until later when he learns his identity and the refresh level may have risen.

Note: I went with breath weapon because it's aimed with the Weapons skill and affords better synergy than channeling would. Don't see much need for a custom power here.
"So you fought a hobo who tried to use a ritual to make himself a god?"
"We called him Hobosus."
"What?"
"Hobo plus Jesus. Hobosus."
- From a DFRPG campaign.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 01:05:04 PM »
Going by the myths, a lot of Thor's power would've been from Items of Power. There's Mjolnir, for a start, and he had a belt that gave him the superhuman strength necessary to lift the hammer.

As for a stress track for lightning, I'd say make it Channeling linked to an Item of Power. Ditto with Strength--that can be a way of giving him the powers gradually, he finds the items bit by bit.

As for a Catch, in the myths, Thor is killed fighting Jormagandr, specifically he dies of the poison from the serpent's bites, so that could be one Catch.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline noom777

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 01:36:40 PM »
A question about the rules: Why the Mjolnir in your example has a + 1 refresh value? Maybe I am a little confused about the rules for the Items of power.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 01:43:48 PM »
Poison is a good catch.

Offline PapaD

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 02:02:33 PM »
Ditch Mjolnir - if he's the son of Thor, and doesn't know it, why would he have Thor's hammer, or any specific Thor related items of power.

Strength, toughness, recovery, catch (magic) - breath weapon (lightning)

Offline noom777

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 02:36:38 PM »
I am interested in the rules about items of power (in this instance the Mjolnir) because in the campaign the player will acquire it so I have to build it,rulewise.

Offline Addicted2aa

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 02:48:09 PM »
Check out the custom item of power thread.
The one listed here has +1 one time discount because it's externalized. It might be +2 since it's probably not easily concealable, but you can't have a have a discount equal to the items refresh.
So +1-2=-1
Breath weapon -2
One time discount +1
Everything I need to know in life I learned from Fear The Boot

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 02:55:36 PM »
I am also interested in this:
Item of Power - Mjolnir +1

I have made a bunch of items of power and they have to be at the least a -1 cost. I have seen Mjolnir in this forum but not at a +1. I am wondering what powers you used to make it a +1

Offline Addicted2aa

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 03:07:34 PM »
I'm pretty sure the +1 is the one time discount
Everything I need to know in life I learned from Fear The Boot

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 03:22:17 PM »
Oh so the breath weapon is on the IoP? That makes sense.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 03:34:06 PM »
I think given the OP wanting a restriction for using lightning means that channeling makes more sense--you'd have a finite limit on how many times you could throw it around, but the power would be flexible. Presumably not all of Thor's lightning bolts are of the same power, and he could probably crank up the voltage when he wants, not something possible with Breath Weapon.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 03:47:52 PM »
Plus it would be the same refresh rate

Alternativly you could use this one that is already written (though it does have a higher refresh cost)

MJOLNIR [-3]

Description: Thor's hammer. Enough said.
Musts: You must have an aspect related to your possession of this item.
Skills Affected: Weapons
Effects:
[-0] Purpose. If the wielder is not worthy, Mjolnir becomes too heavy to lift.
[-0] It Is What It Is. A weapon 3 hammer.
[-0] Unbreakable. As an Item of Power, this item cannot be broken except with a magical ritual predicated upon perverting its purpose.
[+2] One-Time Discount. It's a big hammer. Not easy to hide.
[-1] Never Far From Reach. Mjolnir can be thrown as a weapon up to 2 zones away (instead of the standard 1). Upon striking or missing, it returns to its owner's hand on the following exchange. This ability only works when the hammer is thrown. If the hammer caught, stuck, or taken from the bearer the hammer will not magically return.
[-1] True Aim. Mjolnir is a superlative weapon. So long as its bearer is worthy, it provides a +1 bonus to all Weapons rolls.
[-3] The Bigger They Come... Even the World Serpent must fear the impact of Mjolnir. When facing an opponent, the wielder may spend a fate point to ignore all of that opponent's defensive powers and mundane armour for a scene.

I think that Bigger They Come is a ACaEBG power which Addicted and I have gotten into discussions about.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 03:58:09 PM by Lavecki121 »

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 06:19:36 PM »
[-3] The Bigger They Come... Even the World Serpent must fear the impact of Mjolnir. When facing an opponent, the wielder may spend a fate point to ignore all of that opponent's defensive powers and mundane armour for a scene.

It does seem that way.  Although for fun it would be interesting to see it only work on things that are bigger than you are.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 06:24:16 PM »
Indeed, The Bigger They Come is an ACaEBG knock-off. As such, its balance is somewhat questionable. But it probably won't be a problem in most games.

That aside, putting Breath Weapon on an Item Of Power is kind of silly. You don't have to pay for the fact that your weapon has  a weapon rating.

The range might be worth paying for, though, if it goes beyond what is normally possible for a mundane item.