Author Topic: dfrpg elements in standard fantasy rpg format  (Read 12225 times)

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: dfrpg elements in standard fantasy rpg format
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2012, 09:23:12 PM »
I think calling in the cops all the time is plenty interesting.  If cops keep getting killed off left and right because of an anonymous tipper trying to use them to deal with the supernatural then an investigation will inevitably be launched.  Cops will become a lot more circumspect about responding to outside info, survivors will start picking up Lore and maybe minor powers.

Eventually someone is going to find out what this PC is doing, and there will be serious consequences.

Offline Addicted2aa

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2012, 09:26:09 PM »
That's would work, but generally if you're dragging a character into the plot, it's not going to end well. at least in my experience.
Everything I need to know in life I learned from Fear The Boot

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2012, 09:36:16 PM »
Technically he dragged himself.  One of the beautiful things about life is actions have consequences.

Offline Addicted2aa

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2012, 09:51:10 PM »
You think like I do. I'm going to have fun with your character in our game.

Offline tetrasodium

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2012, 09:58:26 PM »
Technically he dragged himself.  One of the beautiful things about life is actions have consequences.
I tried that too but it made things more of a hassle.  He tried to flash his badge once & get past security of a paranoid rich & powerful fifth law violator CEO of a company using undead labor in a private sweatshop type thing.  The when that attempt failed to get the players interested in doing anything about the obvious threads (like a fog& motion detector filled hallway that reeked of death& ex special forces type security staff among other things), I decided to have the guy call the mayor & things to call down heat on mike the cop.  He kept telling me that he wanted to "get back" at the guy for that & I kept telling him to do something about it, involve him in something, or make an assessment/declaration that leads towards that path with nothing coming from itr yet again whenever he brought it up
That's would work, but generally if you're dragging a character into the plot, it's not going to end well. at least in my experience.
This.  It's even worse when you drag them into the plot & they bend over backwards trying to avoid it.  I tried Q&A stuff with the folks. "Mike" with the cop's character wanted to marry his character's do nothing involved in nothing girlfriend & her parent's (*who also were rich & did nothing like).  Figuring "ok, I'll have her finsd something/get kidnapped" one of the other players could get involved in due to it being more their area & ask for HIS help in fixing it.  In both cases, he went out of his way to be uninvolved wanting to "tank"but doing nothing to put himself in harm's way between the occasional foe & the group.  After her bringing a problem to him failed so miserably, I tried kidnapping her & things went even worse with the player getting really upset that I would abuse his character's girlfriend by having her get kidnapped  (& locked in a lab by RCV to research something, nothing horrible & traumatic).  He started showing up irregularly after that & I eventually got fed up one day after not seeing him a few weeks combined with no answer to phone/text/email in that time & said to the group "ok I'm not sure if mike's  coming back,. lets just say his character... " and was about to say something to the extend of " fulfill all his dreams & runs off to vegas to live happily with his girl after marrying her there" but one of the other players interrupted me first with "sneaks off to hide & calls the cops?... oh yea that too cool" 
I had another player who wound up getting an awesome job about 4 hours away, but prior to that she was very into the core setting & wanted her character to be involved in all sorts of things, but wanted it to be secret from the other players & never did anything to involve it  unless I beat her over the head with it. 
A few of the players had played D&D/Pathfinder, lots played MTG, or would say things like "um... like finalfantasy/wow?" when I asked if they had played other rpg's.  Since D&D was pretty common & in those who had not, at least they admitted to being familiar with traditional fantasy settings, but not any modern urban ones, I figure at least a semi-standard fantasy setting will help allow new folks to be more comfortable & involved from the getgo 

I agree that player problems were the biggest problem & that redefining the elements might not be the best solution though, conversation has been helpful in a lot of areas :)

Offline Addicted2aa

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2012, 10:04:33 PM »
If setting is an issue, set the game in the never never.

Other than that, It sounds like typical frustration with new players. IF the game is still running try and focus on one element of mechanics per week. Master that element. Bring it up as often as possible. Then if the players are getting it, move on. If not, repeat the next week.

Also I have no idea about refining the elements. Those first few posts were impossible to read.

Offline tetrasodium

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2012, 10:24:42 PM »
If setting is an issue, set the game in the never never.

Other than that, It sounds like typical frustration with new players. IF the game is still running try and focus on one element of mechanics per week. Master that element. Bring it up as often as possible. Then if the players are getting it, move on. If not, repeat the next week.

Also I have no idea about refining the elements. Those first few posts were impossible to read.

Yea I was trying that for months but rotating attendance & a steady stream of occasional newbies that would shpow for a game or four made it difficult.  One game I drove down there & nobody showed, I told the FLGS that I was going to take a few weeks off & picj things up in november/december figuring that d&Dsetting might help & allow for easily doing things like "oh most of my regulars are noshow today & I have N newbies just showing up, you're all in a bar and... [insert eventual dungeon crawl or whatever]" without resulting in problems if one of them seems to get it & assesses/declares complexity into the plot & only plays like one moire game before leaving things with a mess nobody cares about.

Edit: but yea, just setting it as a piece of the nevernever might work better :)

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2012, 01:32:05 AM »
Mike?  Have you ever read Something*Positive?

I think one of your biggest problems though is a lack of regular attendees and your influx of newbies.  Without a constant group of players it's going to be hard to develop a group of players who understand and enjoy what they're playing.  You could set up qualifiers for playing if you can pull it off without seeming elitist.  Do you let people who aren't playing sit in on the session to see how things are done?  An audience could be really cool, especially if you were able to get some low key participation, like Aspect suggestions, maybe an audience pool of Fate points for making compels against their least favorite players or villains and making declarations for those they're rooting for.  Keep the pool small to cut down on idiocy by making them think about what to spend the Fate points on, but it could help with getting the audience and players to understand how the system works.

I dunno, just random rambling over here.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2012, 05:52:51 AM »
It really sounds like your problem is that at least one of your players doesn't actually want to play.

And I dunno if I'd say DFRPG is nothing like D&D. It's a lot more similar to D&D than, say, Nobilis.

And for what it's worth, GNS theory has deep flaws. It's actually a pretty good example of what I mean when I say that trying to classify games tends to be insulting.

It's neither an insult or close minded. It's worth noting here, that the poem is very much not about a talking raven. The Raven probably doesn't talk at all, and may not even be real, depending on your reading of the poem. The poem is about a man driven mad by despair, and the raven is a metaphor for his internal monologue. I may also find the Raven cool, but the talking Raven is not the point of the poem, and there's thousands of essays and literary theory backing up that position. You are entitled to thinking it'a about a cool talking Raven, it the same way some one is entitled to believe the earth is flat. I can show you evidence that it isn't, but you don't have to believe my evidence.

Now if you didn't believe an obvious scientific fact, I would might begin insulting you lightheartedly, but for literature and RPG's where the right answer is much harder to determine, might not exist, and really isn't that worthwhile besides on a theoretical level. Yes there is a correct way to read and interpret the raven, but it's such a good poem, who cares if you skip over the metaphor? It works really well as a literal story too. It also works really well if you just listen to how the words flow together. Same with Fate, There is probably a more correct way to interpret the rule and play the game. But it doesn't invalidate any other way of playing it.

You're making a pretty basic error, here. And that's to assume that subjective interpretation like literary research is the same as objective observation like scientific research.

The author is dead. Metaphorically and in this case literally. If he had some intrinsic truth in mind that went beyond what he wrote, it's gone. All we have is the text, and any interpretation compatible with that text is valid.

Saying that only the prevailing literary theories are true is just awful, and kind of elitist to boot. There is nothing wrong with not agreeing with the common consensus.

If a scientist were to discover solid evidence that the earth was flat, they'd be obligated to take the possibility seriously. That's what science is about; changing your mind when new evidence shows up.

Of course, they won't discover that evidence because it doesn't exist because the earth is vaguely ellipsoid.

Similarly, nobody is going to interpret The Raven as a story about a shark-girl who fights aliens. But if they can back up a "talking raven" interpretation then that's just fine. Because The Raven might actually be about a talking raven. The text supports that interpretation.

Also, it's always worth showing people new things that you think they'll enjoy. Especially if you think they will enjoy it more than the thing they currently enjoy. You may be wrong, but if you're right, you just did them a favor. Yay you.

Recommending something is one thing. Recommending something instead of another thing is something else. The latter involves telling people that they won't or shouldn't like whatever that other thing. Which is pretty arrogant, if they've told you that they do like it.

*sigh*  I'm not sure how you can deny that being an achievement without redefining one or more words.  For "the  rules to work properly" to still apply to an RPG, it has to apply to either killing stuff, exploring stuff, socializing, or another achievement.  If it does not, then the only possibility is that you are no longer participating in a RPG or are redefining one of more words to something wildly different from their meaning.

It's possible that I'm misunderstanding the model here. So, please give me a hand here.

Which one of your profiles would be interested in considering the relative merits of 4dF vs d6-d6?

See, it seems to me that your model is mostly about playing games. But honestly, I play games as a side activity for my real hobby of reading and writing them. I like playing, but I can't fit myself into a play-centric category.

I also find it bizzare how you keep going out of your way to find insult where there clearly is not one.  Is english not your first language?  If that were the case, it could explain both points if there is simply some mistranslation going on.

No, there clearly is one.

Insults don't have to be intentional to be there. For example, asking somebody if English is there first language (it is mine) involves telling them that they don't speak/write/understand very well.

I'm not terribly offended, honestly; little insults are a part of everyday life and I've used a few in this thread myself partially by accident. It's not always avoidable...there's really no non-insulting way to tell someone you think they're offended over nothing.

But the "we're real roleplayers, not like those awful D&D rollplayers" thing has been bothering me over and over again for years and I've gotten pretty sensitive to it.

Offline tetrasodium

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2012, 06:09:08 AM »
It really sounds like your problem is that at least one of your players doesn't actually want to play.
I've repeatedly considered it before yes, but it seemed rather odd considering he kept showing up by choice from the getgo & continued doing so for several months.

It's possible that I'm misunderstanding the model here. So, please give me a hand here.

Which one of your profiles would be interested in considering the relative merits of 4dF vs d6-d6?

See, it seems to me that your model is mostly about playing games. But honestly, I play games as a side activity for my real hobby of reading and writing them. I like playing, but I can't fit myself into a play-centric category.

First, It's not my model. I don't think the problem is that you are misunderstanding it so much as the fact that you all but admit that you seem to have some bizzare notion that you don't don't play rpg's when you participate in them as a player or GM.  Like your 4df/d6 question, you are trying to split hairs too far for it to remain applicable even the GNS example fails for you to apply given how far you are trying to split those hairs sanctaphrax.  The problem is not that they are inapplicable so much as the fact that you are going out of your way to avoid it.  You are ignoring the fact that it's about things that types of players enjoy doing in an RPG when playing them and saying that it fails because you don't play RPG's.  My mom might not play RPG's either, but I'm pretty sure I could call her up and say "Hey mom, if you had to play in a game where you could do things like... would you rather be doing things such as..." and get an answer of some form
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 06:20:35 AM by tetrasodium »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2012, 06:22:54 AM »
Oh, I do play RPGs.

But mostly because I like reading and writing them. Not because of any particular part of the play experience.

See, that 4dF vs d6-d6 question is genuinely interesting to me. Stuff like that is the reason I show up to the table.

This tends to give playstyle models a lot of trouble.

Offline tetrasodium

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2012, 06:32:19 AM »
Oh, I do play RPGs.

But mostly because I like reading and writing them. Not because of any particular part of the play experience.

See, that 4dF vs d6-d6 question is genuinely interesting to me. Stuff like that is the reason I show up to the table.

This tends to give playstyle models a lot of trouble.

It's not playstyle model trying to sum up a game like GNS, , it's psychology model generalizing what a player enjoys about a plsaying an rpg.  You are just refusing to acknowledge that an rpg pretty much boils down to certain general types of things you could do & trying to redefine certain words.  But since you are still trying to claim that you break the mold & there is some fifth thing you cannot put to words that applkies to you & don't understand the concept the (very old) bartle scale represents, just take the damned test, here's one phrased for mmo with a handy self scoring thing
http://www.gamerdna.com/rails/quizzes/take/bartle-test-of-gamer-psychology
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 06:35:41 AM by tetrasodium »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2012, 06:47:03 AM »
I'm not sure if I totally understand what you're saying, but...why the anger?

I tried taking the test, but I didn't have a good answer for most of the questions. They were all binary choices, and often both of them were wrong.

For example:

Another player has killed you. Do you want to: 

Plot your revenge 
or
Find out why, and try to convince them not to do it again

I'd just say "that sucks" and keep playing.

(I picked that one because I think I'm probably in the majority there.)

I don't think I'm some kind of special mold breaker here. I think it's just a crummy test, with categories that simply don't cover everyone.

Offline tetrasodium

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2012, 08:18:24 AM »
I'm not sure if I totally understand what you're saying, but...why the anger?

I tried taking the test, but I didn't have a good answer for most of the questions. They were all binary choices, and often both of them were wrong.

For example:

I'd just say "that sucks" and keep playing.

(I picked that one because I think I'm probably in the majority there.)

I don't think I'm some kind of special mold breaker here. I think it's just a crummy test, with categories that simply don't cover everyone.

Well too bad, you've said "I don't understand" several times through this thread and failed to explain what it is you don't understand.  It is not communicating when you just repeatedly say you "don't understand" or "aren't getting it" without explaining what you don't understand.
  • The Questions are all multiple choice, often binary:  It gives a grouping of percentages that summarize where you as a player of RPG's fall on a 4 axis scale.  You may not add a fifth axis, subtract an axis, apply it to a game like craps/checkers/chess/etc/writing a novel...  because then you are not "playing an RPG"!  I'm not sure where your confusion lies because you've again failed to state what you don't understand & instead chose to post a number of facts with nothing about what you fail to understand.
  • You'd say that sucks & keep playing:  You wouldn't even attempt to find out why they were able to, or decided  kill you.  Kinda hard to keep playing if you don't know why you were just killed.  If you were just killed because "rocks fall/lightning strikes, you die" you might want to consider why the GM decided on that particular course of action or where your character went/what they did to cause the other player to kill you.  I think you are definitely in the minority in that you would make no attempt to find out why you were killed by another player in an RPG.  It's rather rare to have one player in an RPG kill your player character without having done something exceedingly annoying/stupid, the same holds true with most tabletop RPG's *calling warhammer an RPG is  a pretty huge stretch)

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2012, 02:05:49 PM »
Not going to argue this again.
Nothing after the section 'break' (-----) was directed towards your quote. 

And for what it's worth, GNS theory has deep flaws.
True...but then it was never really a Theory.  Not in any scientific sense at least.  At best it's a classification system but it fails there because it redefines terms in a verbosely obtuse manner and attempted to make each category exclusive. 

It's actually a pretty good example of what I mean when I say that trying to classify games tends to be insulting.
Sigh, people can certainly be insulting and many of the GNS flame wars certainly were.  But there's nothing inherently insulting about studying and classifying an activity.  And we humans study ourselves so much there are a few dozen such fields of specialty.  ;)

That's about all I have to say on GNS though - I've little interest in reopening decade old flame wars.  My only current irritation is the need to be careful with the terms it used, they can be loaded.

For more rigorous studies check out the IJRP.

I think we've gotten pretty far off subject though. 

-----
@Tetrasodium:  Do you need / want all of the detailed options in your elemental descriptions?  I find it easier to simply state "The Element of Fire can do anything you can reasonably describe as being caused by fire."  The only element which may need more description than that is Spirit.  And that's probably more about defining just what Spirit is...
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer