Author Topic: Language question - scandinavian usage  (Read 1162 times)

o_O

Language question - scandinavian usage
« on: November 02, 2012, 04:54:50 PM »

Can someone explain the usage of the word 'gate' in Swedish/Norwegian/Danish and how it comes to be part of so many street names?

I am particularly interested in whether the word carries any connotation of 'Portal over distance', like the word 'Way'  carries in The Wheel of Time novels.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 04:59:00 PM by o_O »

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Language question - scandinavian usage
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 09:43:27 PM »
Well, I am not not a native of any of those areas, but some google-fu says that Gate comes from the old norse "Gata", which means Street or Road, and was originally used more for the gap in a wall or fence rather than barrier.  So I think the answer to your question is "Yes, it carries similar connotations to a Portal or Way in the WOT usage"  though I cannot say if it has ever had the same supernatural connotations that those do an a RL usage.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Language question - scandinavian usage
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 09:53:37 PM »
I don't know a single word of any Scandinavian language, but I recently came across this comic, I think it was even someone on this very forum that posted it. There is a forum there, too, and I'm sure there are enough Scandinavians that can help you.

The link:
http://satwcomic.com/
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal