Author Topic: So this whole Kindle Serials thing...  (Read 1494 times)

Offline Dresdenus Prime

• Conversationalist
  • More than meets the Wizards Sight
    • View Profile
So this whole Kindle Serials thing...
« on: October 23, 2012, 11:36:31 AM »
Anyone given any thought of writing on this platform?

It sounds intriguing enough - for 1.99 a reader buys a subscription to the entire book, and then the author releases new segments of the book every week or two of about 10-15,000 words.

I can personally see the appeal, rather then spending a year or two writing an entire novel, spend a couple weeks writing a few chapters, release it over Serials. Then as the readers enjoy the first segment, the author works on the next and so on. Anyone looking at using this?
DV Dresdenus Prime v1.2 YR6 FR(M)1 BK+ RP- JB TH++ WGH CL- SW+ BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++++ Murphy- Elaine-- Mab+++++)

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
Re: So this whole Kindle Serials thing...
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 02:12:04 PM »
Kind of a fanfic (or Charles Dickens) approach, then? Could be interesting; a recent "Richard Castle" novelette used this format. I doubt I'd go for it myself though; I fear it might make me even more unfocused and procrastinatic(?!) than I am now.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 01:07:35 PM »
My problem would be that about 40,000 words in, I'd suddenly think up a cool ending that would require me to go back and change or add stuff to the beginning parts.  That happens to me all the time in my pantser method of writing.  My way, it's no big deal. I just make a note and fix things when I edit. But when they're already out there, there's nothing you can do. You just have to suck it up, ditch the way-cool ending, and move on.  That'd kill it for me.

I'd have to write the whole thing out, then release it. And if I did that, if it's good enough to let people read, I might as well try to sell it.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 04:06:36 PM »
My problem would be that about 40,000 words in, I'd suddenly think up a cool ending that would require me to go back and change or add stuff to the beginning parts.  That happens to me all the time in my pantser method of writing.  My way, it's no big deal. I just make a note and fix things when I edit. But when they're already out there, there's nothing you can do. You just have to suck it up, ditch the way-cool ending, and move on.  That'd kill it for me.

I'd have to write the whole thing out, then release it. And if I did that, if it's good enough to let people read, I might as well try to sell it.
I do this kinda thing, and I've outlined my story.  My WiP has changed *drastically* from the rough draft, and I expect it to change quite a bit in this revision.  I don't think I'd consider serializing something unless it's already written, and I'd probably do it as a side project.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury