Author Topic: Bomb-building questions for YA sci-fi-ish work...  (Read 2820 times)

Offline arianne

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Bomb-building questions for YA sci-fi-ish work...
« on: October 19, 2012, 07:14:06 AM »
I'd better start by saying that I'm not planning to actually make or use or do anything remotely bomb related with the information gathered here (nowadays, the question, "do you know how to make a bomb" can trigger some strange and extreme reactions... :o, so I thought I'd better make that clear from the start....)

Anyways, I've got a scene in my YA work that requires some description of the making of a bomb. The main character is a high school student, so the main ingredients of said bomb would have to be household items and stuff he might be able to borrow (aka steal) from his high school chem lab. The bomb made is meant to make a loud noise rather than cause real damage (it's going to be used as a distraction tool more than anything else).

It's got to be something that can be remotely triggered as well, for various plot reasons. I seem to remember from watching cop shows that now it's possible to trigger a bomb with something like a cell phone? Or is that a misconception?

Does anyone know something of this craft? I don't need a recipe, just some keywords that would help the description.

Thanks!  :)
I swear to you, by my own stunning good looks and towering ego, that I'm not lying to you.

Offline FishStampede

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Bomb-building questions for YA sci-fi-ish work...
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 11:17:53 AM »
If it's not meant to be TOO destructive, a simple "bomb" can be crafted from a sealed 2-liter soda bottle with vinegar and antacid tablets (or any number of similar "liquid + solid that does stuff when put in the liquid"). Creating a time-release or remote trigger shouldn't be too difficult, and the explosion will be little more than an extremely loud bang and a funny smell.

If you need something a little more destructive, you could always take the Burn Notice route of "...and some other stuff," or Mythbusters "add *donkey noise* to *rooster crow*"

If you absolutely must be more specific, you really should make sure that what you describe isn't imitable. Otherwise, targeting a YA audience with bomb-making instructions is likely to get you in hot water.

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 05:20:00 PM »
Maybe you could try looking into some movie/TV special effects sites? They do a lot of stuff with non-destructive bangs and flashes.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Galvatron

• Conversationalist
  • No matter where you go, there you are
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 09:34:58 PM »
He could steal some big arse fire crackers, they go boom, simple enough, not uncommon regardless of rather they are allowed in a given area.

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side"

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 11:21:59 PM »
One of the nicer things about writing space opera is that I can handwave about antimatter a lot rather than having to google the sorts of subjects that might arouse suspicion in officers of the law.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline arianne

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 01:58:00 PM »
One of the nicer things about writing space opera is that I can handwave about antimatter a lot rather than having to google the sorts of subjects that might arouse suspicion in officers of the law.

It does get a bit awkward when you start asking friends if they know how to build a bomb, and then get that loooong silence on the other end of the phone....

I think maybe I will have to go the Burn Notice route of telling people how to build a bomb without actually teaching them how to make a bomb after all.

If anyone out there is monitoring my browser history, I'm probably heading some FBI most wanted list right now...
I swear to you, by my own stunning good looks and towering ego, that I'm not lying to you.

Offline FishStampede

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 12:44:55 AM »
Think that's bad? One time someone found out I had googled equine erogenous zones. I swear to God it was research for my story.

Offline Galvatron

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 04:04:24 AM »
Think that's bad? One time someone found out I had googled equine erogenous zones. I swear to God it was research for my story.

lol thats funny, you know thats one of those situations you might as well just say "ya its exactly what you think" because no one will believe you no matter what =P
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side"

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 11:56:39 AM »
Reminds me of the time I needed to find out how to embed pictures in a LaTeX document.  Searching for "Latex Images" was not the right way to do so...
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline arianne

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 12:13:58 PM »
If only there was some sort of writer's helpline with a bunch of helpful researchers on the other end who had been trained never to turn a hair at any question and were completely discreet.

*sigh*

Offline Just Al

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 06:46:57 PM »
If you're looking for a big noise that without much damage that can be made from chemicals found in most school chemistry labs, look up the prep for Nitrogen triiodide. It's made from crystaline iodine and high concentration ammonia. It's been the naughty schoolboy's friend for a long time. Jerry Pournelle made reference to making some in the 1930s.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 07:04:03 PM »
Reminds me of the time I needed to find out how to embed pictures in a LaTeX document.  Searching for "Latex Images" was not the right way to do so...

A friend of mine was one compiling a list of genre novels with non-straight protagonists, and got as far as typing "lesbian fantasy" into Google at work, but thankfully realised the potential for ambiguity there before actually triggering the search.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Galvatron

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 08:44:39 PM »
A friend of mine was one compiling a list of genre novels with non-straight protagonists, and got as far as typing "lesbian fantasy" into Google at work, but thankfully realised the potential for ambiguity there before actually triggering the search.

I was at work, and a friend of mine and I where chating and for some random reason wanted to find out how much it would cost to buy a mountain lion.

Sooooooo me being the smarty I am googled "buy a cougar"

Not the best results when you are at work lol

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 09:41:45 PM »
Does it have to be found in the Chem Lab?  I mean, is the character stuck at the school, or can he go on a supply run?  The easiest thing around that can be triggered with electricity like a cellphone is a model rocket engine, available at any hobby store in the country.  They are basically a firework with a little primer that can be triggered from low voltage device like a flashlight, alarm clock beeper, etc.  You wont get into trouble for introducing chemical recipes since there isnt any real mixing/manufacturing involved. 

If you need other ideas, recipes, etc, or you have specific scenario restrictions on what he can do, send me a PM.  I prepare for the Zombocolypse as a hobby and intellectual exercise, so I know quite a few of the tricks out there.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain