Author Topic: Consider DF Books = DF General  (Read 2446 times)

Offline KevinSig

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Consider DF Books = DF General
« on: October 05, 2012, 11:02:28 AM »
Frankly, I think the DF Books section could benefit from a name change & a new take on life.  If the forum became DF general, a forum that discusses all things Dresden, that aren't spoilers, it would be a bit more inclusive.

Consider a place where ppl show off Dresden costumes, discuss Dresden related dreams & the like.  Along with other non spoiler Dresden stuff.  Yes, it might collect things that might otherwise be considered Dresden spam, but the purpose of the DF Books forum is a bit narrow, could use a bit more flexiblity.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 11:56:53 AM by KevinSig »

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: Consider DF Books = DF General
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 01:26:10 PM »
... Only if you think that costumes based on things in the books aren't appropriate to discussion of the books. :)

The topic guidelines in there are fairly soft.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 02:54:52 PM »
Don't people already discuss all those things in the Books section?  Mostly "The Books" is to distinguish from "The Comics," "The RPG," and "The TV Show."  It's the space for book-verse Dresden Files, as opposed to any other incarnation.

Offline KevinSig

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 03:54:24 PM »
Eh, I avoid the forum altogether in general, because I frankly don't really know what threads go there.

However, these 2 picture threads
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,34243.0.html
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,34238.0.html

Feel like they'd belong in a general thread, as opposed to DF spoilers.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 04:00:19 PM »
Feel like they'd belong in a general thread, as opposed to DF spoilers.

Only if you can 100% guarantee that the contents of all pictures in the thread won't spoiler the books.

It's very obvious to me from looking at the first page that that guarantee isn't supportable. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 12:17:11 AM »
Only if you can 100% guarantee that the contents of all pictures in the thread won't spoiler the books.

It's very obvious to me from looking at the first page that that guarantee isn't supportable. :)

I disagree.  It's hard to discuss anything pertaining to the series without spoiling any books.  I think it's safe to spoil the events of Storm Front at this stage. :D  Generally, I consider anything from the first 3/4 of the series fair game for The Books section.  If someone doesn't want to be spoiled about Thomas being Harry's brother, they probably shouldn't be on a discussion forum when they've only read half a series. :D

I'm fine with folks being cavalier about Harry becoming a Warden, Molly becoming Harry's apprentice, or Elaine starting the Paranet in the Books section.  I think folks should stick to the Spoilers section when discussing Turn Coat and beyond.  And of course, anything from a book that hasn't been out a full year needs to have a spoiler warning in the subject line.

At least, that's how I see it.  Thoughts?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 12:51:07 AM »
Sure. I'm draconian when it comes to spoiler protections, but recognizing that is part of why I turned the day to day forum running over to our gentler mod squad. :)
Fred Hicks