Author Topic: Focus Items  (Read 7887 times)

Offline lordoracle

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Focus Items
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2012, 06:52:03 PM »
Hate to have to ask this, but could someone help me with the process of building an item? The one in question is the aforementioned Eyepatch. He has decided it to be a foci for Divination and the raven is trained so he would not have to control it. I am considering it to be 2 slots since it would be larger than a ring (the example given).
"If you steal from one author, it's plagiarism; if you steal from many, it's research." - Wilson Mizner

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2012, 09:04:54 PM »
I don't think there's any mechanical process. You re-assign your focus slots at a milestone, and it's presumed that your character spent some downtime doing whatever is necessary to make the items.

Is that what you meant?

Offline lordoracle

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2012, 11:04:09 PM »
So all we have to do is say what it does and that's it? Unless it's like Harry's Blasting Rod where it actually allows him a an advantage like better control over his fire.

All this does is allow the player to see thru the eyes of the raven so it doesn't have a roll or anything to activate?
"If you steal from one author, it's plagiarism; if you steal from many, it's research." - Wilson Mizner

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2012, 11:36:24 PM »
If all it does is allow sight through the raven's eyes (rather than, say, any other divination spell that may come up), I would suggest representing that as an enchanted item, rather than a focus item.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2012, 11:53:37 PM »
Not sure what you're asking, honestly.

Could you explain?

Offline lordoracle

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2012, 05:37:40 AM »
Harry's Blasting Rod gives him a shift when doing Fire magic.

The item my player wants is an eyepatch which specifies his Divination to allow him to see thru the eyes of a trained raven. I am trying to figure out HOW to write it up.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2012, 06:00:43 AM »
Do you know what an Enchanted Item is?

Serious question.

Offline lordoracle

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2012, 04:02:56 PM »
Sure. Would that be a better way to go?

One problem with "Quick and easy" systems is that you tend to overthink and end up complicating things.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2012, 08:26:34 PM »
The only difference being a reduced cost(assuming you dont increase useage and power) and a limited number of uses.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2012, 08:33:46 PM »
It's not a limited number of uses; it's a limited number of free uses.  Subsequent uses merely require stress expenditure.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2012, 09:53:26 PM »
It's not a limited number of uses; it's a limited number of free uses.  Subsequent uses merely require stress expenditure.
Thats not true. Subsequent uses are simply evocation of the same nature. The enchanted item has a set number of uses and after that it is drained. Such as Harry's ring. In Dead Beat he was too tired to use spells and he had run out of uses on his ring and hadnt been able to recharge it. They refference that an enchanted item is a "spell in a box" once its out its out.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2012, 09:56:05 PM »
Someone else want to drag up the page reference for Lavecki, here?  I'm away from books tonight.
Slough

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2012, 10:06:50 PM »
Thats not true. Subsequent uses are simply evocation of the same nature. The enchanted item has a set number of uses and after that it is drained. Such as Harry's ring. In Dead Beat he was too tired to use spells and he had run out of uses on his ring and hadnt been able to recharge it. They refference that an enchanted item is a "spell in a box" once its out its out.
Something in the books is not evidence against the rules of the RPG.

Tedronai's right. A practitioner can use an enchanted item after its charges are gone by using mental stress.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2012, 10:36:49 PM »
Sorry my bad. I have been doing some stuff wrong with my enchanted items apparently. Pg 280 of YS. I stopped looking at 279 where it said "spell in a box". Appologies again
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 10:40:46 PM by Lavecki121 »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2012, 07:06:38 AM »
Sure. Would that be a better way to go?

I think so.

Just decide how many shifts looking through a bird's eyes takes, make an item with at least that much power.