Author Topic: ????mancer  (Read 5817 times)

Offline Chrono

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
????mancer
« on: September 07, 2012, 04:41:22 PM »
I'm trying to come up with an exotic type of focused practitioner, because confusing your players is fun. Something that isn't all-powerful, like a chronomancer or an atmosmsancer. Just something wacky. I can't think of any good words for a 'cake dough mancer' or 'dry wall' mancer, so that is impeding my creativity a bit.

Any suggestions?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: ????mancer
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 05:26:17 PM »
Audiomancer?

All sonic stuff.  Manipulates sound waves, attacks people with ear-splitting sounds or can muffle noise etc.

He looks all Punk-Rocker and His focus Item is a double armed electric guitar.
His Rituals involve complex set-ups using wires and cables, stages and speakers.  He channels the spirits of the greatest rockers of all time to super-charge his spells.

Kind of like a noise Marine from 40k.

Offline Chrono

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 05:29:27 PM »
That could be fun. One of our NPCs is actually a harmonomancer, a street musician that makes magic through music. An audiomancer might be a great contrast for that.

Offline JDK002

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 05:33:13 PM »
I'm so stealing that idea.  He would be a great counter character to my group of Viking death metal lycanthrope npcs. xD

Offline Chrono

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 05:34:14 PM »
I'm so stealing that idea.  He would be a great counter character to my group of Viking death metal lycanthrope npcs. xD
:o

Offline bjh31

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 05:34:51 PM »
Here a few  ;)

Cryptomancers (Cryptos, meaning secret) - Someone who practices divining secrets, or creating them.

Bibliomancers (Biblio, meaning book) - Someone who practices divining from the Bible.

Offline Orladdin

• Conversationalist
  • The Undauntable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 06:26:04 PM »
Ivymancer:  Someone who grows viny, thorny or grasping plants.  Sleeping Beauty castle sieges?  Shackles?  Anyone?

Cadaverdancer:  Someone who can control dead bodies like marionettes.  Entirely unlike and weaker than any form of necromancy and also doesn't break any laws.  The bodies don't become autonomous in any way, (s)he can merely manipulate them (make them dance!  Favorite attack pattern: The Thriller.)
There is never a blanket answer to an ethical question.  This includes the Laws of Magic.

Perpetrator of The Cold Days Release FAQ

"I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones."
-- The Doctor, Timewyrm: Genesys

Offline Orladdin

• Conversationalist
  • The Undauntable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 06:34:40 PM »
Or, for the most awesome story example of a ridiculously powered "focused practitioner" villain ever, I'll refer you here.  It's 110% worth reading for everyone who enjoys epic game stories.  While not a DFRPG-specific example, it could easily be adapted.
There is never a blanket answer to an ethical question.  This includes the Laws of Magic.

Perpetrator of The Cold Days Release FAQ

"I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones."
-- The Doctor, Timewyrm: Genesys

Offline GryMor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 06:48:33 PM »
The venerable Electromancer, while not being all powerful, is certainly versatile. For somewhat more outlandish:

Vectormancer, perturbs vector fields, especially the direction of travel of objects.
Hemomancer, aka, the blood bender
Hermetomancer, magic bender, twists other magics into new forms but is not herself a source of power.
Jurismancy, controls laws... is changing a law of magic a violation?

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 07:27:25 PM »
I don't think Dresden Files magic can target concepts that easily - you can't, for example, channel destructive magic at the concept of "speed limit" to get out of paying the fine for going 115 in a residential area with a loup-garou in hot pursuit.

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 08:30:31 PM »
Im stealing from Skulduggery Pleasant here but, an Osteomancer would be a scary opponent to face. His power is the control of bones, in particular his skill at breaking them with minute amounts of force.

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 11:07:50 PM »
Im stealing from Skulduggery Pleasant here but, an Osteomancer would be a scary opponent to face. His power is the control of bones, in particular his skill at breaking them with minute amounts of force.

Skulduggery Pleasant has a load of great ideas - an Umbramancer (Shadow channeler), a specialized Kinetomancer who can walk on walls/ceilings, etc.
GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 11:43:44 PM »
Yo.

Alternately, anything from Unknown Armies ought to work.

Offline Lamech

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 05:30:01 PM »
Canine-mancer. Attacks by conjuring dogs. Probably a small cute girl or boy who is this dire warlock. Evocations will include conjuring creatures inside the hapless PCs. Probably inflicting an absolutely messy amount of damage. (Also requiring endurance defenses.) In addition they will have a number of extremely cute, yet extremely vicious conjured guardians at their disposal.

Hair-mancer. The power of hair! Normally acts as a super hairstylist. The PC's will be more concerned about her abilities to do terrible things to hair. Shoot it at someone, use it as a nano-blade type weapon or the like. Alternatively a helpful NPC can use thaumaturgy to make it explode, protecting the PC's from a painful death by thaumaturgy. (Or a nasty one makes it explode while still on their head!)

Inkymancer: Controls ink! Have fun as it gets into your blood stream. Also great for forgery. 

Sanguinemancer: Blood control. This person can puppet people around. The wardens can't do much of anything about this person controlling people since its not actually mind control. Also extremely effective against red/black court vampires since they basically are blood. At least that is the source of their supernatural strength. Probably can control and transform them at will.  Sets up a fun moral dilemma. They need this guys expertise to fight the vampires, but he is running around blood controlling everyone.
P.S. Don't let him get near the Stone Table. Everything would go to hell in a hand-basket. I do mean everything.

So now you have four extremely gruesome, yet still wacky, casters.

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 07:35:34 PM »
Sanguinemancer: Blood control. This person can puppet people around. The wardens can't do much of anything about this person controlling people since its not actually mind control.

The Fourth law is against enthralling, not mind control specifically. Also, aren't the Wardens explicitly called out as enforcing the spirit of the Laws?

Still, one of my favourite concepts. I'd always liked blood magic, for some reason, though in DFRPG I usually go for the slightly more conceptual level of blood magic.