Author Topic: Rewriting Possession, Domination, and Demonic Co-Pilot  (Read 8621 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Rewriting Possession, Domination, and Demonic Co-Pilot
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2012, 09:23:56 PM »
You need a willing or helpless target for Enthrallment. Says so right there in the first sentence of the effects.

(I put the willing bit there so that you could blackmail people into submitting to mental slavery.)

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2012, 09:25:44 PM »
Yeah, the physical thing will have to be a rough guideline only.
And the social thing.
And possibly even the mental thing, given, for instance, library stunts.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Praxidicae

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2012, 10:22:34 PM »
Rather than trying to state what powers and abilities ARE available to the possessing character, it might be easier to state which ones are NOT available. Something like "Powers and abilities that would require the host character's knowledge or intellect are not available to the possessing character." would seem appropriate (though it could be tidied up somewhat.)

In the case of some abilities I would also consider making their use a compellable action (against whatever aspect the possessing character has relating to this power). The precise use of abilities like Supernatural Strength or Speed, or Shape-changing would likely be very tricky, and could likely lead to amusing and compellable circumstances.

On a related note, would a possessing character have access to (at least some of) the host character's aspects? IE. If I possessed a Troll Changeling, would I have access to the 'Trollblooded Strength' aspect as it is rooted purely in the physical abilities of the body.

Also how about adding something like a Human Form attachment to this, allowing the character to specify some of their own abilities that are not going to be available when possessing another body (In many cases this will be obvious, but there may be cases where a creator wants the possessing spirit to be limited only to the abilities of the host body, or in which possessing a body causes physical transformation - thus allowing abilities like Claws that would normally not be something to be carried over).

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2012, 10:31:48 PM »
How's this?

POSSESSION [-1]
Description: You can take over the bodies of others. Maybe only if they consent, maybe even if they don't.
Skills Affected: Discipline, others.
Effects:
Possession. You may enter the bodies of willing characters. Entering or leaving a body in a conflict takes your action, and you can stay until you decide to leave or are kicked out by your host. While you are in a character's body, you may control that body as though it were your own. Use your own skills and Powers when doing so. Size Powers are an exception to this: use your host's Size Powers in place of your own. You may also use other Stunts and Powers possessed by your host, as long as those Stunts and Powers are properties of your host's body. In addition, the host's skills may modify your own if they describe properties of your host's body. The GM decides what is and isn't a property of a character's body.
You're Not Hurting Me. You cannot be targeted with physical attacks while in another character's body, barring special Powers or unusual circumstances. Characters looking to take you down violently will probably have to settle for knocking the person whose body you're using unconscious. Mental and social attacks can target you normally, though, and you may not transfer backlash or physical stress costs to your host. If you leave behind your physical body in order to use this Power, attacks against it bypass this effect.
Spiritual Eviction. If you end up controlling a host who wants you out, that host may engage you in an opposed Discipline roll. If they win, you are forced out of their body. If you entered their body with their consent, your host may attempt one such roll as soon as they decide to kick you out. Regardless, they may attempt one such roll every time you control their body for another continuous day and every time you use their body to damage them or something they care about. In extreme situations, such as forced suicide, your host may benefit from a circumstantial bonus to the opposed Discipline roll.
Abandoned Body. While you are in another character's body, you can act only through that body. Nobody save your host can perceive you unless they have The Sight or another such effect. If you have a physical body, it lies vulnerable until you leave your host. If you have the Spirit Form Power, you are entirely subsumed into your host until you leave into the area surrounding your host's body.
Hostile Possession [-2]. You may attempt to possess unwilling victims. This requires you to win a mental conflict, which uses the same timeframe and initiative as a physical fight. Discipline is used to attack and defend in that conflict. During the conflict, you are treated as though you were inside your target's body for the purposes of the Abandoned Body and You're Not Hurting Me Trappings. Taking an action in that conflict takes a character's full attention. If you lose the conflict, you fail to possess the target and can't try again until the next session. If you win, you possess the target normally.

You can invoke an Aspect to boost any roll it makes sense for it to benefit, so no special rules are required to give access to 'Trollblooded Strength'.

The Limitation custom Power can and should be used for the Human Form idea.

PS: Does anybody have an idea for a name for the first possession Power I posted?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 01:04:37 AM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2012, 11:02:04 PM »
Reputational stunts are quite clearly not 'properties of the host's body', but could quite reasonably be beneficial to the possessing entity.  I'm sure I could come up with other such examples if I put in the effort.
Additional rephrasing, then, is required.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Praxidicae

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2012, 11:04:37 PM »
PS: Does anybody have an idea for a name for the first possession Power I posted?

How about 'Spiritual Symbiote', as used in the flavor text. If not here are a few others:

Shared Consciousness
Mental Parasite
Mental Transference
Empathic Insinuation
Mental Concordance
Metaconcert
Spiritual Link
Spiritual Enjoinment
Composite Mind

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2012, 08:05:53 PM »
Reputational stunts are quite clearly not 'properties of the host's body',...

I don't agree, but whatever. I'll change it.

How about 'Spiritual Symbiote', as used in the flavor text...

Good idea. Thanks.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2012, 01:29:27 AM »
Dunno about the name on this one, but at least it has symmetry with the nicer version.

As for the Power itself...as far as I can tell it's good. But I feel as though I might be making some kind of stupid mistake.

SPIRITUAL PARASITE [-1]
Description: You can invade the minds of others. You can't take over completely, but you can influence your hosts pretty strongly.
Effects:
Spiritual Parasitism. You may attempt to enter the bodies of other characters, willing or otherwise. Entering an unwilling character requires you to win a mental conflict, which uses the same timeframe and initiative as a physical fight. Discipline is used to attack and defend in that conflict. During the conflict, you are treated as though you were inside your target's body for the purposes of the Abandoned Body and You're Not Hurting Me Trappings. Taking an action in that conflict takes a character's full attention. If you win the conflict, you may enter the target's body. If you lose, then you fail to do so and may not try again until the next session.
Sponsor. While you are inside another character, you may allow them to spend your Fate Points. For each Fate Point they spend this way, they acquire a point of sponsor debt. The debt is to you, and you may choose to use it for a Compel whenever you please.
Corrupting Influence. While you are inside another character, both you and your host gain a new stress track called the control track. The control track's length is determined by Conviction, and stress inflicted to it does not heal normally. At the end of each scene, you and your host may make a control attack against each other. Use Discipline to attack and to defend. If your host takes you out, you must leave their body. If you take them out, clear both your control track and theirs. Also you may either inflict a Compel upon them as though they had taken a point of sponsor debt to you or change one of their permanent Aspects. The extent of an Aspect change caused by this Power is roughly equal to the extent of an extreme consequence.
You're Not Hurting Me. You cannot be targeted with physical or mental attacks while in another character's body, barring special Powers or unusual circumstances. Social attacks can target you normally, though, and you may not transfer backlash or stress costs to your host. If you leave behind your physical body in order to use this Power, attacks against it bypass this effect.
Abandoned Body. While you are in another character's body, you can act only through that body. Nobody save your host can perceive you unless they have The Sight or another such effect. If you have a physical body, it lies vulnerable until you leave your host. If you have the Spirit Form Power, you are entirely subsumed into your host until you leave into the area surrounding your host's body.
Helpful Spiritual Parasite [-1]. While you are in another character's body, you may attempt grant that character a +1 bonus whenever they use any skill. If they accept the bonus, you get a stackable +2 bonus to the control attack that you make at the end of that scene.
Benevolent Spiritual Parasite [+1]. (Requires Helpful Spiritual Parasite) You may not make a control attack at the  end of a scene unless your host accepted a bonus that scene. And even if they did accept a bonus, your attack skill is automatically Mediocre (+0) before bonuses. On the upside, your host can no longer make control attacks against you at the end of each scene. Barring some sort of exorcism, you're there until you decide to leave.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 02:18:57 AM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline Praxidicae

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2012, 10:27:53 PM »
Quick question, from reading the Spiritual Parasitism and Corrupting Influence sections, it appears that the parasite does not gain control of the body upon entering it, and has to wait until the end of the current scene (and the ensuing control conflict) in order to actually gain dominance, after which he is only able to inflict a compel or change one of the characters aspects. Is this intentional? If not it might be worth a note in the Spiritual Parasitism stating that upon successfully possessing a body, the parasite gains control.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2012, 02:35:00 AM »
It's very intentional. This Power is supposed to represent back-of-the-mind possession like that of a Denarian shadow.

For a moment I wasn't sure what gave you any other impression. Then I looked up and saw the description from Possession was still in there.

Oops.

Please ignore the copypasta, it will be fixed.

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2012, 04:03:37 AM »
This is sort of Off the Beaten Path for what you are trying to do here, but its still near that path.

I think you should write up a power to represent the possessing entity being bound into an item (of power?). Something along the lines of a demon possessed sword which seeks to take control of it's bearer or the One Ring etc.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2012, 02:23:51 AM »
I would like to do the whole Bound Spiritual Entity thing sometime...I guess now's not a bad moment.

Once I've done a quick editing pass over these Powers (and Spirit Form, which is affected by all this) we can get started on that.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2012, 11:29:51 PM »
Whoops, turns out there's still one possession Power that I haven't started yet.

Here's a first draft of it. It's kinda long and it's a shamless rip-off of Possess Corpse, but I'm reasonably happy with it.

Opinions wanted, as always.

INHABIT [-2]
Description: You can enter inanimate objects, which you can then use as though they were physical bodies.
Musts: You must have an Aspect referring to the objects you inhabit, which can be invoked or compelled to reflect the abilities and limitations of your object-bodies.
Skills Affected: Many.
Effects:
Inhabitation. Once per scene, you may enter and control an inanimate object. While you are inside an object, you may control it as though it were your body. If your object-body is Taken Out, you may be objected during Take-Out narration. Otherwise you may stay as long as you wish. Use your own skills and Powers to represent the abilities of your object-body. Spirit Form is an exception to this; if you have it, it's suppressed while you inhabit an object. If your object-body should logically have a Size Power that you don't have, you can't inhabit it. If it should logically lack a Size Power that you have, you lose your Size Power while inhabiting it. If you have a Size Power that is effectively a greater version of the one you need, you may reduce it; for example, a character with Titanic Size could inhabit an object with Hulking Size.
Semi-Animate. While inhabiting an object, you have the Semi-Animate Power.
Abandoned Body. While you are inside an object, you can act only through that object. If you have a physical body, it lies vulnerable until you leave the object. If you have the Spirit Form Power, you are entirely subsumed into the object until you leave into the area surrounding the object.
Inhabit Specific Type Of Thing [+1]. You can only inhabit a specific type of object, like cars or corpses or clouds. The type of object should be specific enough that one won't always be available to inhabit.
Improved Inhabitation [-varies]. For every point of Refresh invested in this upgrade, you can copy one Refresh worth of Powers or one Stunt from an object whenever you inhabit that object. Select the Powers that you copy when entering the object. Inhabiting the corpse of a swordsman might grant a sword-related stunt, while inhabiting an iron statue might grant Toughness. This may be used to purchase Size Powers, allowing you to possess objects that would normally be too big or too small for you.

And here are the various other Powers that are part of this project. They're mostly done, but most of them need minor edits. For example, I should make it clear that things possessed by a ghost don't become incorporeal.

SPIRITUAL PARASITE [-1]
Description: You can invade the minds of others. You can't take over completely, but you can influence your hosts pretty strongly.
Effects:
Spiritual Parasitism. You may attempt to enter the bodies of other characters, willing or otherwise. Entering an unwilling character requires you to win a mental conflict, which uses the same timeframe and initiative as a physical fight. Discipline is used to attack and defend in that conflict. During the conflict, you are treated as though you were inside your target's body for the purposes of the Abandoned Body and You're Not Hurting Me Trappings. Taking an action in that conflict takes a character's full attention. If you win the conflict, you may enter the target's body. If you lose, then you fail to do so and may not try again until the next session.
Sponsor. While you are inside another character, you may allow them to spend your Fate Points. For each Fate Point they spend this way, they acquire a point of sponsor debt. The debt is to you, and you may choose to use it for a Compel whenever you please.
Corrupting Influence. While you are inside another character, both you and your host gain a new stress track called the control track. The control track's length is determined by Conviction, and stress inflicted to it does not heal normally. At the end of each scene, you and your host may make a control attack against each other. Use Discipline to attack and to defend. If your host takes you out, you must leave their body. If you take them out, clear both your control track and theirs. Also you may either inflict a Compel upon them as though they had taken a point of sponsor debt to you or change one of their permanent Aspects. The extent of an Aspect change caused by this Power is roughly equal to the extent of an extreme consequence.
You're Not Hurting Me. You cannot be targeted with physical or mental attacks while in another character's body, barring special Powers or unusual circumstances. Social attacks can target you normally, though, and you may not transfer backlash or stress costs to your host. If you leave behind your physical body in order to use this Power, attacks against it bypass this effect.
Helpful Spiritual Parasite [-1]. While you are in another character's body, you may attempt grant that character a +1 bonus whenever they use any skill. If they accept the bonus, you get a stackable +2 bonus to the control attack that you make at the end of that scene.
Benevolent Spiritual Parasite [+1]. (Requires Helpful Spiritual Parasite) You may not make a control attack at the  end of a scene unless your host accepted a bonus that scene. And even if they did accept a bonus, your attack skill is automatically Mediocre (+0) before bonuses. On the upside, your host can no longer make control attacks against you at the end of each scene. Barring some sort of exorcism, you're there until you decide to leave.

SPIRITUAL CO-PILOT [-1]
Description: A spirit dwells inside you, granting you power in exchange for control over you. Draw upon it too heavily, and you may become its puppet.
Musts: You must have an Aspect reflecting your spiritual partner. If you act against your Co-Pilot's agenda, a Compel may deny you access to this Power.
Note: This Power is usually taken alongside the Sponsor Power. It is not compatible with Immunity to the stress that it inflicts.
Effects:
Spiritual Power. Whenever you use a skill, you may choose to treat it as though it were one point higher. Do this before rolling.
The Struggle For Control. You have an additional stress track, called the Control track. The length of this track is determined by your Conviction. Stress and consequences taken on this track do not begin to heal until you go a full session without using Spiritual Power.
The Price Of Power. At the end of any scene in which you use the Spiritual Power trapping, you suffer a control attack. The accuracy of this control attack is twice the number of times you used Spiritual Power in that scene, and has no weapon rating. Defend with your Discipline skill. If this attack takes you out, you receive a Compel as though you had taken a point of Sponsor Debt. Alternately, the GM may choose to alter one of your permanent Aspects.

ENTHRALLMENT [-2]
Description: You can control minds. It's not quick or easy, but it's effective.
Skills Affected: Discipline.
Effects:
Domination. You may engage a willing or helpless target in a mental conflict. Discipline is used to attack and to defend. You automatically win initiative. If you are taken out, the conflict ends and you may not resume it for twenty four hours. Each exchange in this conflict takes roughly half an hour by default. You can rush this, but you'll suffer a penalty to all rolls in the rushed exchange. This penalty is -1 for a five minute exchange, -2 for a one minute one, and -3 for a combat-time exchange.
Enthrallment. If you take your target out, you may turn them into a rough thrall or into a Renfield. A rough thrall is identical to the character it once was, except that it now obeys you robotically and takes no initiative. Change its High Concept to reflect that. A rough thrall can recover given roughly a month without re-enthrallment, the help of a wizard or therapist, or a Compel against you on one of its aspects triggered by an attempt to force it to do something diametrically opposed to its nature. A Renfield is similar to a rough thrall, but retains none of its previous memories or identity. Renfields are incurable.
Superior Enthrallment [-1]. Your Enthrallment attacks inflict two additional stress. In addition, you may transform defeated targets into fine thralls. A fine thrall is identical to the character it once was, except it now seeks the goals you assign for it in place of its own. Change its High Concept to reflect that. You may also transform thralls into supernatural beings. Select four Refresh of Powers and stunts. Whenever you enthrall a character, you may grant them those abilities. Change their Aspects to reflect their new nature, as normal.

SPIRITUAL SYMBIOTE [-1]
Description: You're a spiritual symbiote of sorts; you enter the bodies of other people and make them stronger.
Musts: You must have an Aspect reflecting this Power.
Skills Affected: Many.
Effects:
Integration. You may enter the bodies of willing characters. Entering or leaving a body in a conflict takes your action, and you can stay until you decide to leave or are kicked out by your host. While you are in a character's body, that character has access to your stunts, skills, and Powers. Size Powers are an exception to this. Other exceptions should be handled through Compels or through the Limitation Power.
Abandoned Body. While you are in another character's body, the only thing you can do is talk to your host. Nobody save your host can perceive you unless they have The Sight or another such effect. If you have a physical body, it lies vulnerable until you leave your host. If you have the Spirit Form Power, you are entirely subsumed into your host until you leave into the area surrounding your host's body.

POSSESSION [-1]
Description: You can take over the bodies of others. Maybe only if they consent, maybe even if they don't.
Effects:
Possession. You may enter the bodies of willing characters. Entering or leaving a body in a conflict takes your action, and you can stay until you decide to leave or are kicked out by your host. While you are in a character's body, you may control that body as though it were your own. Use your own skills and Powers when doing so. Size Powers are an exception to this: use your host's Size Powers in place of your own. You may also use other Stunts and Powers possessed by your host, as long as those Stunts and Powers are properties of your host's body. In addition, the host's skills may modify your own if they describe properties of your host's body. The GM decides what is and isn't a property of a character's body.
You're Not Hurting Me. You cannot be targeted with physical attacks while in another character's body, barring special Powers or unusual circumstances. Characters looking to take you down violently will probably have to settle for knocking the person whose body you're using unconscious. Mental and social attacks can target you normally, though, and you may not transfer backlash or physical stress costs to your host. If you leave behind your physical body in order to use this Power, attacks against it bypass this effect.
Spiritual Eviction. If you end up controlling a host who wants you out, that host may engage you in an opposed Discipline roll. If they win, you are forced out of their body. If you entered their body with their consent, your host may attempt one such roll as soon as they decide to kick you out. Regardless, they may attempt one such roll every time you control their body for another continuous day and every time you use their body to damage them or something they care about. In extreme situations, such as forced suicide, your host may benefit from a circumstantial bonus to the opposed Discipline roll.
Hostile Possession [-2]. You may attempt to possess unwilling victims. This requires you to win a mental conflict, which uses the same timeframe and initiative as a physical fight. Discipline is used to attack and defend in that conflict. During the conflict, you are treated as though you were inside your target's body for the purposes of the Abandoned Body and You're Not Hurting Me Trappings. Taking an action in that conflict takes a character's full attention. If you lose the conflict, you fail to possess the target and can't try again until the next session. If you win, you possess the target normally.

SPIRIT FORM [-3]
Description: You are an incorporeal spirit form, able to pass through walls and other barriers in the mortal world. Thresholds still have an almost physical reality to you, however.
Skills Affected: Many, especially Conviction.
Note: This power may not normally be attached to Human Form, Feeding Dependency, an Item Of Power, Magical Self-Enhancement, or any other power that can "turn off" the powers it is attached to.. The Astral Projection and Manifestation upgrades, if taken, entirely remove this restriction except with regards to Human Form.
Effects:
Insubstantial. You are invisible, inaudible, and incorporeal. This means that you can neither affect nor be affected by physical things, except as dictated under Vulnerabilities and Manifestation. Any magic that you cast is also incorporeal, and useless against anything physical. However, you can perceive the physical world normally, and under some circumstances it may be possible for physical characters to perceive and communicate with you. Characters with this power may affect each other freely.
Shaped By Belief. Your very existence is defined by belief. As a result, you are not closely bound by physical reality.You do not need to eat or sleep or breathe. Furthermore, you do not excrete wastes and you do not age. You are immune to both poison and disease. You may make Maneuvers and Declarations with Conviction to define your physical form and the nature of your interactions with the world.
Vulnerabilities. Certain physical things can harm you despite your intangibility. These things include ghost dust, fire, and sunlight. What's more, you cannot cross thresholds at all.
Manifestation [-2]. Once per scene, you may force yourself to manifest physically. This negates this power until the scene ends, you choose to become immaterial, or you get taken out in a physical conflict. Using this trapping is an insane act for a ghost, and as such this trapping may not be possessed by sane ghosts. (Other forms of spirit might not have this limitation.)
Poltergeist [-1]. You can exert a tiny amount of force on the material world. Normally this does nothing of importance, but when machinery is around you can often interfere with it. You may use Conviction to make maneuvers disrupting physical machinery.
Spiritual Physics Abuse [-1]. The laws of physics only affect you if you think they should. Teleportation is possible for you. You may substitute your Conviction skill for your Might skill when exerting force, your Athletics skill when moving, or for any other physical skill as the GM feels is appropriate.
Mind = Matter [-0]. Your body and your mind are the same thing. You have one stress track that is used for both mental and physical stress. Its length is determined by your Conviction skill. Toughness powers apply to this track, but mental stress automatically satisfies catches. Consequences taken on this track do not recover naturally unless you provide some form of special justification, generally involving the absorption of memories. More severe consequences require more elaborate justifications.
Astral Projection [-1]. You are a physical creature, but you can leave your body when you feel inclined. You normally do not have access to this power, but you may gain access to it any time by taking a supplemental action. When you do so, your physical body is unconscious and immobile. You may return to your physical body at any time by physically entering it with a supplemental action.
Involuntary Projection/Manifestation [+1]. (Requires Astral Projection or Manifestation) You have no control over whether or not you are corporeal at any given time. Choose a condition in collaboration with the GM. This condition determines whether or not this power is active at any given time.
Possession [-1]. You may enter the bodies of others, combining your power with theirs. Given a willing host, you may enter that host's body as a supplemental action. This allows you to control their body, using your own skills for all rolls. While you possess a host, you have access to all of your own powers and those of your host's powers that your GM deems appropriate. The host's skills may modify yours, at the GM's discretion. Physical stress is inflicted on the host, not on you, and the host's physical stress track is not affected. If you cast spells while in another characters body, you must pay for those spells with your own mental stress. However, your host suffers backlash for you. A character who is being possessed may not act, but they may force the possessor out of their body at any time.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2012, 02:10:26 AM »
No comments, huh?

I guess Inhabit must be good stuff.

Anyway, here's my plan for the editing:

-Make it clearer what Powers Possession lets you use.
-Remove the silly interaction where ghosts turn their hosts incorporeal.
-Make clear what happens when you try to possess a possessed character.
-Give Spirit Form a trapping that makes you immune to possession.
-Rename the various Spirit Form upgrades so that they can be phrased as additions to the name of the Power.
-Add an option to Spirit Form for solid characters who can dematerialize.
-Maybe make Manifestation include the effects of Poltergeist.
-Remove Possession as a Spirit Form trapping.
-Maybe remove the sunlight weakness for spirits, or make it only apply to weaponized sunlight.
-General wording clean-up.

Any thoughts on the plan?

Offline Centarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2012, 02:30:22 PM »
I know that for game play reasons the sunlight weakness is kind of lame. It does kind of suck if your character can't do anything during the day. But it is something that spirits (and especially the ghosts this power most closely models) have to deal with in the Dresden world. If you are creative it may even provide some interesting tension in game play.

For example you could have a bob like spirit that inhabits some item that protects them during the day, and can talk, and thus contribute to most non-combat actions during this time. Or you could have a spirit with the Spiritual Symbiote power that is closely tied to some other PC.

Really spirit/ghost characters are weird enough already that these hoops should not be too much to jump through.

Or you could just remove it altogether for purely game play reasons (a good reason in my book :P .