Author Topic: Those of you who are published, how did you get started?  (Read 5999 times)

Offline jamesp81

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Those of you who are published, how did you get started?
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 01:46:35 PM »
All the instruction in the world can't replace some could constructive feedback. There are a number of forums out there where you can submit work samples and get feed back. I've found if you can find one or two people you can go back and forth with, it saves a lot of time.

I have some concerns about posting samples of a work I want to publish on a public forum.

Offline Darkshore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2012, 02:24:01 PM »
www.absolutewrite.com The forums here will give you more incite and knowledge that just about anything else out there. They also have specific password protected forums for sharing your work for critique.

Offline jamesp81

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2012, 02:54:32 PM »
www.absolutewrite.com The forums here will give you more incite and knowledge that just about anything else out there. They also have specific password protected forums for sharing your work for critique.

What are the chances that a publisher might refuse to publish my work if they know parts of it were posted to an internet forum?

Offline Darkshore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 04:14:21 PM »
It's a password protected section specifically for posting your work. It does not count as published. It requires a minimum 50 post count on the forum which you can get easily by asking questions, taking part in discussions, or visiting the SYW (Share Your Work) section and reviewing other peoples writing. No publisher will take note of it as long as it is posted in the password protected section, because it does not count as published.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2012, 07:14:47 PM »
What are the chances that a publisher might refuse to publish my work if they know parts of it were posted to an internet forum?

Well the Baen publishing house has its own online forum where they have set aside an entire section for young hopefuls to post their stuff for review by other young hopefuls.  The editing staff doesn't generally go there, but if you are looking for reviews....

Can't imagine they'd set up a section of baenbar.com for you to post your stuff and then turn around and reject you for doing so.

Don't know about the other major publishers, since they tend to be dianasaurs.

The Deposed King

the Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2012, 11:44:57 PM »
As far as marketing goes, I just signed up for Publishers Weekly Select, which advertises and reviews self-published books.  My nephew, also a writer, works for them and says he can make sure my novel gets sent out for review.  Unfortunately, there is a $149 fee (no, it's not one of those scams where you pay for a positive review!) and I figure if it gets me some much-needed publicity, it may be worth the effort.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline jamesp81

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2012, 04:02:42 AM »
As far as marketing goes, I just signed up for Publishers Weekly Select, which advertises and reviews self-published books.  My nephew, also a writer, works for them and says he can make sure my novel gets sent out for review.  Unfortunately, there is a $149 fee (no, it's not one of those scams where you pay for a positive review!) and I figure if it gets me some much-needed publicity, it may be worth the effort.

I'm not even close to that part yet ;D

Though I do dread it.  Rejection letters, long waits, and then if it gets accepted, all the accounting, taxes, and other mountains of paperwork that will go with it.  Makes my head hurt just thinking about it, but I'm not quite there yet.

I've worked on novels before and I've never finished one...but I feel good about this one.  This one will get finished.  Might not ever get published, but it will get finished.

Offline superpsycho

• Conversationalist
  • It’s about communication - ET phone home.
    • View Profile
    • our forum on
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2012, 05:58:22 AM »
I have some concerns about posting samples of a work I want to publish on a public forum.

Depending on the site, there is usually some level of protection.  Areas where you can publish work are often limited to members only. Some sites have protected areas, where only those you specify can access your work.
Best planet I've been on so far.

Offline superpsycho

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • our forum on
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2012, 06:03:57 AM »
Well the Baen publishing house has its own online forum where they have set aside an entire section for young hopefuls to post their stuff for review by other young hopefuls.  The editing staff doesn't generally go there, but if you are looking for reviews....

Can't imagine they'd set up a section of baenbar.com for you to post your stuff and then turn around and reject you for doing so.

Don't know about the other major publishers, since they tend to be dianasaurs.

The Deposed King

the Deposed King
Isn't the current address bar.bean.com for the bar over at bean.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2012, 08:11:28 AM »
Isn't the current address bar.bean.com for the bar over at bean.

You're right.  Must have had a dyslexic moment.

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline superpsycho

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • our forum on
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2012, 07:58:43 PM »

You're right.  Must have had a dyslexic moment.

The Deposed King
.esoth dah ev'I

Offline KevinEvans

• Conversationalist
  • The Butterfly did it, Alt History
    • View Profile
    • My personal Author page
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2012, 11:48:13 AM »
Getting here a bit late,

I write with my wife. We got started when I was ambushed at a World Con room party in Anaheim, I didn't escape until we were committed to two articles and a short story.

In the intervening years we have ended up as SFWA members, lots and lots of paid work, and a number of novels on the "submission go round".

Writers write, everything else if frosting on the cupcake.
Formal training is nice, however many successful authors never spent a day in class, for writing...

So write, then write some more, and then (you got it) get it written down. (Grin)

Regards,
Kevin
Are Tech articles written for a nonexistent town in an alternate universe, Fiction?