Author Topic: Locked Within - My First Novel  (Read 10501 times)

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
Re: Locked Within - My First Novel
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2012, 12:01:43 PM »
Hehe, no worries! Any talking is good talking!

He does look familiar though, doesn't he?

And yes, hopefully this will be the first of many. At the moment I have two more planned to make this series a trilogy.

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2012, 12:22:59 PM »
Maybe Richard Dean Anderson?

Can't wait to read it. :) Sounds right up my alley! Huge congrats.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline tuttman1234

• Needs A Life
  • King of Glomps *glompsyoujustby readingthisglomp*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2012, 04:56:08 PM »
Honestly, I thought he looked like an angry (or constipated) James Van Der Beek.
Flower gleam and glow, let your power shine. Make the clock reverse, bring back what once was mine. Heal what has been hurt, change the fates design. Save what once was lost, bring back what once was mine, what once was mine.

For Mdodd. Rest in peace friend.

Drip, Drip, Drop.

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2012, 06:13:31 PM »
I was going to pre-order Locked Within as a Nook Book but B&N doesn't have a listing for it.  Too early, I guess.   :(
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2012, 11:21:46 PM »
I'm afraid so. It'll be closer to the release date before ebook versions are available for pre-order. I'm really sorry. Keep an eye out, though. I'll be making regular updates as more versions become available.

Offline belial.1980

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2012, 03:49:44 PM »
Hey Paul,

Firstly I just wanted to say congratulations! It's so great to see that you've achieved this level of success! The premise sounds really cool and I will definitely snag a copy as soon as it's available.

Would you mind terribly if I pester you with a few questions?

Do you feel that there are certain things that make a book "marketable" or somehow sexier in the eyes of a publishing house, and if so did you put a lot of thought into these factors when writing Locked Within?
Or did you focus on writing the best story you were able to and decide to try and sell it?

I'm just a little curious since writers are all artists. On the same hand, when a writer decides to publish a book it then becomes a product as well.

I was also curious to know a little bit about the editorial process. I believe I saw you mention in another post that you were asked to make some pretty extensive changes to the manuscript for both your first and second book.
Do you feel like you had to compromise your vision for the story when making these changes or do you feel like they helped you develop a more polished work overall?

Those were some things I was wondering about and, if you wouldn't mind, I'd love to hear any words of wisdom you might be willing to share.

Again, congratulations on your book deal. Can't wait to read it!
Love cannot save you from your fate.

- Jim Morrison

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2012, 10:16:15 AM »
Thanks!

I'm happy to answer any questions at all.

Do you feel that there are certain things that make a book "marketable" or somehow sexier in the eyes of a publishing house, and if so did you put a lot of thought into these factors when writing Locked Within?
Or did you focus on writing the best story you were able to and decide to try and sell it?

The unending debate. Should you write for yourself or for your (potential) readers?

There are most certainly things that make a book marketable and appealing to a publisher or an agent. The thing is, these people know what they're doing. They look for certain elements because they know readers want certain elements. They're what make a book sell. That said, agents and publishers are also on the lookout for books that push the boundaries just enough to be fresh and still be appealing to readers. Humans are strange creatures. We crave variety but we resist things that are too far out of our comfort zone.

Every writer is different, as is every reader. Personally, when I first decided I wanted to be a writer, I knew it was because I wanted people to enjoy my stories. So there was never really a question for me of whether to write for myself or for readers, because writing for myself was writing for readers. I love stories that use established tropes well. I'd much rather read a book or watch a movie where I could predict what would happen next and enjoy the skillful execution (much like watching a musical performance or a play), than one which tried to surprise me and ended up not quite pulling it off.

I knew from before I started Locked Within that I wanted it to sell, and to sell extremely well. I dove in, trying to tell the most entertaining story I could, using everything I knew about storytelling to do it. I definitely viewed it as a product as well as art.

I think the reality is that it doesn't matter how you get the first draft written. You just get it done. Afterwards you can worry about making it marketable.

Do you feel like you had to compromise your vision for the story when making these changes or do you feel like they helped you develop a more polished work overall?

Not in the slightest. If anything, the advice I got brought my work closer to my vision than I thought possible. I can't stress enough how invaluable a professional editor is in your work. They'll see things you've missed, figure out what you're trying to say and show you how to say it better. I've been blessed with a great team at WiDo Publishing.

But then, I went into this knowing that a lot could change between submission and publication, so perhaps I was prepared for the possibility of making big changes. It is, I feel, naive to send a query to a publisher or agent under the impression that nothing will be changed. You can certainly resist the changes your editor suggests, but I wouldn't do so without serious thought. Even so, learning that I had to cut the first 50 pages of Locked Within hit me hard and I was pretty rattled, I can tell you. I had no idea how I could do that and still make the book work.

My rule of thumb was that whenever I got an e-mail back with more edits, I wouldn't read the suggestions until the next morning. This gave me time to adjust to the idea that things needed to change. After I had read them, I would leave them and not start working on them until the next day. This let me have some time to absorb the advice and understand why I was being asked to make these changes.

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2012, 10:27:39 PM »
Locked Within is now available for pre-order on Amazon.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline tuttman1234

• Needs A Life
  • King of Glomps *glompsyoujustby readingthisglomp*
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2012, 04:35:21 AM »
Awesome! Pre-ordering now!
Flower gleam and glow, let your power shine. Make the clock reverse, bring back what once was mine. Heal what has been hurt, change the fates design. Save what once was lost, bring back what once was mine, what once was mine.

For Mdodd. Rest in peace friend.

Drip, Drip, Drop.

Offline Galvatron

• Conversationalist
  • No matter where you go, there you are
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2012, 05:57:22 PM »
I will be sure to pick this up and give it a read.

congrats!
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side"

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2012, 09:44:15 AM »
Yep, it's up on Amazon.com right now and it'll be available on other international Amazon sites closer to the release date, as well as on Kindle.

Incidentally, if anyone out there reviews books on their blog and would like review the book, I can see about sending an advance copy as a pdf or Kindle-fiendly file once I have them.

Offline synobal

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2012, 05:32:08 PM »
Looks pretty interesting I may give it a try. Will be hard to keep mass effect out of my mind though if he is called Shepherd much.

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2012, 07:17:33 AM »
I just got confirmation that the Kindle edition will be available on Amazon.com in October, a month before the release of the paperback version. For a limited time, it'll be available at a special rate of $1.99!

Offline Dresdenus Prime

• Conversationalist
  • More than meets the Wizards Sight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2012, 01:58:29 PM »
I just got confirmation that the Kindle edition will be available on Amazon.com in October, a month before the release of the paperback version. For a limited time, it'll be available at a special rate of $1.99!

That's unbelievable! I will definately be picking it up! (Would have at a higher price too!)
DV Dresdenus Prime v1.2 YR6 FR(M)1 BK+ RP- JB TH++ WGH CL- SW+ BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++++ Murphy- Elaine-- Mab+++++)

Offline belial.1980

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2012, 02:28:20 PM »
Thanks so much for your response! It's been very insightful. I've pre-ordered Locked Within and can't wait to check it out!
Love cannot save you from your fate.

- Jim Morrison