Author Topic: Gargoyle Template (Disney Style)  (Read 3034 times)

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Gargoyle Template (Disney Style)
« on: August 23, 2012, 12:59:17 PM »
This is based on the Disney Gargoyles (circa 1994-97)

Musts:
Inhuman Strength [-2]
Inhuman Toughness [-2] (the catch is included in the cost of Gargoyles’ Transformation)
Claws [-1]
Stone Sleep [-1]
Spider Walk [-1]
Wings [-1]

Options
Hulking Size [-2]
Inhuman Speed [-2]
Supernatural Strength [-4]
Supernatural Toughness [-4]

Minimum Refresh Cost: -8
Important Skills: Varies.  Often combat skills, Might, and Athletics.

Stone Sleep[-1]
Stone by Day, Warrior by Night.  Gargoyles become stone statues when the sun rises, regardless of whether they can actually see the sun.  When the sun sets, they become flesh again.  Gain +2 on intimidation attempts made immediately after the transformation.  In their stone form, Gargoyles are unable to act or observe.  They have little difference from objects and real statues until they transform again at night.  When stone, the gargoyle as Legendary+2 (+10) for the purposes of breaking things, and have seven stress boxes.  Damage to their stone form is permanent, see below.
Wounds Closed by Stone.  Turning to stone removes any physical consequences, except extreme ones.  When the gargoyle returns to flesh the next night, their wounds will be healed.  Damage done to the gargoyle while it is stone cannot be healed in this way.  Since this is a permanent change, this should always be treated as an extreme consequence. 
Ageless Sleep.  Gargoyles do not age while stone, meaning that they typically age at around half the rate of a normal human, living twice as long.  If the gargoyle is held in its stone shape for an extended period of time, such as by magic, it will not age at all during that time.

Offline Nightbreed DOA

• Participant
  • High Shadowmancer of Darkenspire
    • View Profile
Re: Gargoyle Template (Disney Style)
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 04:20:56 PM »
While i am trying to figure out the game, i do have to say that it's very well thought out. I like it!  8)

Offline JDK002

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 05:31:00 PM »
I definitly like the idea.  But if you're trying to make it as a playable character I'm skeptical to be honest.  Playing a character who can't take part in any daytime scenes at all doesn't sound very fun.  But as a NPC t works great.

Also Stone Sleep seems sort of all over for a -1 power.  The face that it just heals All but extreme consequences every 24 hours is a huge deal.  I would be reluctant to let a player take an ability like that for fear of it being abused.

"Oh, we found the Warlocks lair and need to go storm it?  Let's sit around doing nothing and wait until tomorrow night to do it so I'm fully healed."

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 05:39:50 PM »
I definitly like the idea.  But if you're trying to make it as a playable character I'm skeptical to be honest.  Playing a character who can't take part in any daytime scenes at all doesn't sound very fun.  But as a NPC t works great.
It's doable, though--I've got a PC who's a spirit, so she can't come out during the day. I just throw Nevernever adventures at her and compel her, or just have the bulk of the action take place at night.

Also Stone Sleep seems sort of all over for a -1 power.  The face that it just heals All but extreme consequences every 24 hours is a huge deal.  I would be reluctant to let a player take an ability like that for fear of it being abused.
I'm curious as to the pricing myself. You figure you can heal a Severe at the rate of a Mild with Supernatural Recovery. So assume that's the base, and you get the +1 for the Human Form (involuntary change). If there's a Catch to the recovery as well, the math might work out.

"Oh, we found the Warlocks lair and need to go storm it?  Let's sit around doing nothing and wait until tomorrow night to do it so I'm fully healed."
"Turns out his plan starts at Dawn, better go take care of him now or it won't matter that you're healed."
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 06:17:51 PM »
The fact that they can be destroyed during the day balances out the healing pretty well, I think. I mean, consider it according to the catch rules - +2 for the fact that it doesn't take a special weapon, just daytime (ANYONE can access the day, usually), and +1 for it being research-able.

As seen in the show, gargoyles have to go through a lot of trouble to make sure they aren't attacked during the day. Xanatos could have destroyed them any day he liked, and only didn't because he found them interesting and occasionally useful.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 08:05:57 PM »
Here were my thoughts:
You could probably do away with the +2 Intimidate, but it fits the show's depiction of characters reacting to gargoyles transforming.  And let's be honest, this would rarely come up.

Wounds Closed by Stone:
+1 for Involuntary Change
+2 for Catch Accessable to anyone
+2 for (in gargoyle universe) Catch knowable by virtually anyone with knowledge of the creatures.  Hell, a viking discovers it on first meeting them in the pilot.

You heal virtually everything by the next session (usually), except extreme.  You don't get the "clear away mild consequences" benefit that Supernatural Recovery gives you.  So, actually, it either works out or is underpowered (and should include Inhuman Toughness in the cost).

It might not be the most playable thing, but I think it's a pretty accurate representation of the show.  Additionally, I would expect fate points for having to sit scenes out during the day.

Offline JDK002

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 08:59:45 PM »
Alright I concede on the Stone Sleep cost. ^^

I guess the role playing issues of a concept like this are just my own personal "GM pet peeves" so to speak.  Just. A personal dislike when players knowling make characters that make it impossible for them to take part in a good 1/3rd of the game. Heck I go out of my way to make sure my players never have to split up unless it's montage.  That way everyone is always engaged in what's going on.

As for the abuse of a power like that.  To prevent it you basically have to constantly keep the players on a timer.  Almost never giving them the change to plan for an encounter, shoving them from one scene to the next.

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 09:39:57 PM »
As for the abuse of a power like that.  To prevent it you basically have to constantly keep the players on a timer.  Almost never giving them the change to plan for an encounter, shoving them from one scene to the next.

So, do you really have a problem with Stone Sleep, or do you have a problem with Recovery powers in general? A changeling or other such template with broad power access can get Supernatural Recovery with a large catch and thereby heal just as fast. Faster, in fact, as the guy with Supernatural Recovery only has to wait a scene, not a whole day. Is that "abuse"?

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 10:24:25 PM »
Alright I concede on the Stone Sleep cost. ^^

I guess the role playing issues of a concept like this are just my own personal "GM pet peeves" so to speak.  Just. A personal dislike when players knowling make characters that make it impossible for them to take part in a good 1/3rd of the game. Heck I go out of my way to make sure my players never have to split up unless it's montage.  That way everyone is always engaged in what's going on.

Ultimately, I think because of their limitations, having them be physically fresh before a fight is probably a good idea. 

I'm thinking about introducing the Gargoyles as a perceived enemy (the group hired by Monoc to destroy them) but have them turn out to actually be good NPCs the party should help.

Offline JDK002

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 04:29:05 AM »
So, do you really have a problem with Stone Sleep, or do you have a problem with Recovery powers in general? A changeling or other such template with broad power access can get Supernatural Recovery with a large catch and thereby heal just as fast. Faster, in fact, as the guy with Supernatural Recovery only has to wait a scene, not a whole day. Is that "abuse"?
No no, when you break down the catch it seems pretty fair.  I think reading it then seeing the cost caused initial sticker shock due to the catch not being shown separate.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 03:41:50 PM »
I have played in several WoD (World of Darkness) games where vampires were mixed in with various other creatures (Fae, Werewolves [ bad idea], Mages...etc).

While it is annoying that the PC has to either sit out scenes or the party is mostly nocturnal due to the vampire...it is totally workable.

It comes down to a matter of player and GM choice.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 03:47:10 PM »
Wasn't Bronx the canine one?  Do quadrepedal gargoyles fit with your vision of them? 

Did he have wings?

Trying to remember....

...Gargoyle/Temple Dog/Wardhound? 

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 04:15:09 PM »
Bronx was the canine-ish one, and he didn't have wings. According to the show's creators, he was a related but different species to the Gargoyles proper--along the lines of how apes are related to humans.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline synobal

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 04:28:07 PM »
I admit I like this a lot, and I was a huge fan of the Gargoyles series when it was on TV.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 06:04:25 PM »
Wasn't Bronx the canine one?  Do quadrepedal gargoyles fit with your vision of them? 

Did he have wings?

Trying to remember....

...Gargoyle/Temple Dog/Wardhound?

Bronx was a beast.  A seperate template would be needed for those.  They all lack wings and are basically smart dog-like gargoyles.