Author Topic: need a little help  (Read 2109 times)

Offline eviladam

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
need a little help
« on: May 30, 2007, 03:03:53 AM »
A writer friend sent me this message.

"do you know of a good site/book/place to look for an agent?"

And I don't know of any such place. Do you?

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Re: need a little help
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 03:55:20 AM »
It is very difficult to get an agent, I fear.  Writer's Market is probably the best location as far as I know and I haven't looked at one for years.  It is a sizeable book with lots of good advice and more importantly actual names and addresses.  It is published annually.  Make sure you are using the most current edition.  It would be available at your local library.  I managed a B. Dalton Bookseller, so I was selling them not using them.

Best wishes to your friend and tell him/her not to get discouraged if he/she needs to contact a lot or as I'm informed-- hundreds of them.   I read on Jim Butcher's Journal site that he realized he didn't have to be the best writer in the race, he just needed to last longer than the person next to him.  Or something similar; it isn't an exact quote! Seems like good advice to me!

Meg in IA

"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Tasmin21

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • On Literary Intent
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 10:49:54 AM »
www.agentquery.com

It's a good place to start, and searchable by genre represented.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 11:41:21 PM by Tasmin21 »

Offline Fyrchick

• Posty McPostington
  • Overkill is Underrated.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 11:07:15 AM »
try www.writers.net
or
www.authorlink.com

1. Do you have something finished you want to get published OR do you have an outline/start on something?
2. Do you know or have access to anyone who has published in your chosen genre?
3. Do you have a body of work that represents your style, ability and talent?
4. Look up lawyers in your area that specialize in entertainment and "artist" representation. They will have insight into agents etc.

create a blog, website, e-zine or whatever to refer people to. Make it your portfolio. If you do a good job, maybe an agent will find you!!! ;D
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.