Author Topic: Construct Rules of Thumbs  (Read 2725 times)

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Construct Rules of Thumbs
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 08:27:10 PM »
@Chrono: Don't give up! The problems here aren't all that huge. You're just a bit too generous with skills and a bit vague with the binding process.

For the skills, I suggest (complexity) skill points with a cap of (2 + 1 for every ten skill points). Maybe require a pyramid, maybe not.

For the binding, I suggest ditching the defense roll and the aspect bit. Just say something like "Forcing a summon to obey mindlessly requires a roll against a quarter of the summoning complexity. Beating the difficulty by 2 gets you a bit of independent thought, beating it by four gets an intelligent and proactive helper."

@Silverblaze: Good to hear that people are getting use out of the system. Any suggestions on how to improve it?

@Taran, InFerrumVeritas: Thanks.

I'm pretty fond of the aspect rules too, and I've been thinking that they might work for other types of ritual. For stuff like "your divination alerts Black Mage McEvilwizardington to your existence" and "turning into a bear makes you think in a bear-like way".

No.  I have no advice on how to make it better. 

I mostly do constructs.

To be honest I have only used it to create a semi sentient flying surfboard - based on Silver Surfer's. (from Marvel Comics).   The surf board pretty much lets me get around with wingless flight at mythic speed (athletics 5)

I also used it to create something my GM affectionately called a soulfire golem.

It guards a vault with all the big bad's artifacts or books we collected and my characters "saferoom".  It seems like it could be badass if used as a combat buddy.  Used basically as a lone defender for something we "the players" cannot always guard, it seems powerful but not overpowered.

I think I summoned a few powerful Fae and one demon with it.  That part seemed balanced and well done.

"Why did a Knight summon those things?"  It fit the story trust me.  If it makes people feel better I only summoned the demon to kill it and...I killed the demon! :D  yay! Success.

Long story short: I will need to play with constructs more.  Summoning/Binding house rules work just fine.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 08:49:46 PM »
Glad to hear.

A lack of suggestions is probably a good sign, since it means there are no obvious stupid errors.

Offline Chrono

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 10:04:00 PM »
I am hoping. The limit on skill caps and ladder requirements seems to be helping things. It's still possible to stretch things a bit, but not nearly as bad as a Ritual-Crafter with 7 repeats of refinement.