Author Topic: why is dyslexic English not a slandered form of English ?  (Read 4401 times)

cenwolfgirl

why is dyslexic English not a slandered form of English ?
« on: August 19, 2012, 10:28:00 AM »
well rely people are aloud to write in US English
so why can we not have our own form of english that is exsepted by everyone?
why can the english language not be simpler ?

thoughts?

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
Re: why is dyslexic English not a slandered form of English ?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 12:42:16 PM »
?
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 12:44:29 PM »
why are you aloud to write in US english in stead of UK english (witch was around first)
and  yet it is not exseptibal socialy for me to right in dyslexic english ?

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 12:52:15 PM »
Not the same thing. And that's a little offensive to Americans to speak of our being allowed to write in a version that has grown organically to be different from UK English, as though we're biologically incapable of writing in UK "received English".

Besides, "it was around first" doesn't automatically place a higher value; if that were the case, we Anglophones would be writing in Old English.

Anyway, I suspect the "socially acceptable" part is just a case of people who are self-centered enough to refuse to try to understand what a dyslexic is writing. It's difficult, yes, but it's socially required that they try.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 12:54:51 PM »
sorry did not mean it that way
i mean that we have lots of difrent ways of writing the same language but that way is not socaly exseptibal o use
yet all the others are
when dyslexic english is a lot easer to use
and is the one i naturaly defoult to when i don't know a word
i am confused by the diffrence is all  :-\

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 01:13:15 PM »
sorry did not mean it that way
i mean that we have lots of difrent ways of writing the same language but that way is not socaly exseptibal o use
yet all the others are
when dyslexic english is a lot easer to use
and is the one i naturaly defoult to when i don't know a word
i am confused by the diffrence is all  :-\

Very few people naturally default to any kind of "standard English" when stumped; that's not really a guideline for the "standard" title. Any so-called standard language is meant simply as a goal to try one's best to achieve for most universal communication ("socially acceptable" is just another tool used by jackasses to pass judgement on others and make themselves feel superior).

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 01:18:58 PM »
well said "jackasses" as you put them should stop hounding me then
or i will start a pertition to get dyslexic english as an exsepted form of english
it gets rather annpoying after the umpteepth time

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 01:32:05 PM »
well said "jackasses" as you put them should stop hounding me then
or i will start a pertition to get dyslexic english as an exsepted form of english
it gets rather annpoying after the umpteepth time

Fahn, then Ah'll git uh p'tishn up an' runnin' fer Southern English, too. 'Cause y'all don't talk raht. ;)

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 01:34:15 PM »
LOL that's a good idea
;D

Offline Darkshore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 02:02:44 PM »
I feel for you, Cen. I'm not dyslexic so I don't really know what it's like. When I first saw your posts on here I thought you were just a young kid that didn't feel the need to try and spell words correctly (no offense, it's just that there are a lot of them out there). I think that's where the sort of resentment comes from. If someone doesn't know your dyslexic they simply assume you don't care enough to spell correctly.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 02:06:32 PM »
oh if dyslexia was my only problem
that would be ssssssooooooooooo nice

no i try and improve my spelling all the time
its just not something i am very good at

sight problems rely rely do not help

Offline Icecream

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 02:11:03 PM »
I got a little confused about what you were saying cen, but are you trying to get at , for example deaf people communicate in a different way,  they sign and this is recognised as its own official language (at least it is here in new zealand, not sure about the UK) and you are wondering why dyslexics who communicate in their own specific type of written language don't have this recognised officially alongside other forms of the english language such as UK,US,AUS and NZ?

well, I don't think i can say much as to why because i don't fully understand how dyslexia works, from what i think it is is people get letters mixed up in a word when reading or write down the sound of the word , rather than the spelling. but does'nt dyslexia change from person to person and there are different forms? 

so i think it would depend if one dyslexic person wrote something, can another dyslexic person read that better than if they were reading something written out the usual way? because if that is the case , than i think yes dyslexic writing might just be a language of its own. do you find this to be the case with you cen?

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 02:18:18 PM »
sort of ice
there are two types number dyslexia (numbers get mixed up and written the worng way replaced with different numbers
then there is letter dyslexia
um es i can understand what people with this dyslexia are writing all the time
i know many people with this type of dyslexia
and i always know what they are saying
and they can understand me
we always make very similare spelling errors
so yes i sopose we do have out own language and others can learn to read it
just like others can learn singh language even when they can hear
so i guess it is quite similar
letter and number dyslexia both effect how the person reads their specific charictors
these problems are also reasnably similar from person to person
mine is magnified by my sight problems but not by that much

(and as far as i know sing language is a language in its own right over here as well)

Offline Icecream

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 02:33:13 PM »
ok , so you want to know why say, a book could'nt be published by a dyslexic person (without someone who does'nt have dyslexia going over it and correcting all the spelling to the usual way)  or that a book written by an english author could be translated into dyslexic-speak.

I think it probably does'nt happen because it would be difficult, like you've said, other dislexics spell stuff similar to you, but it won't be identical so someone may not know how to translate something exactly so that it would be easier for dyslexics to read, and I suppose publishing companies want a format that can be easily read by most customers , so dyslexic-speak won't come under this as you only have the smaller number of dyslexic people (and science students :D) , publishing comepanies probably expect dyslexic people to listen to audiobooks.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 02:41:07 PM »
hay i love science to but people should not complain when some one with what (at least over here) is clased as a disabilaty
actually show there disablialty, its like complaining that i walk down the street with my white cane or that a deaf person sings or some one uses a wheel chair
if you apply to any place of learning or work place it gets put under a disabilaty over here so why should people still be aloud to have a go at me about spelling?
I don't expect people to start translating books just give us a brake when we make mistakes its not our fault
(this may just be my perspective others may have a different veiw point to me, and its not like we don't try to improve our spelling )