Author Topic: Stating Slenderman  (Read 4112 times)

Offline Lamech

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Stating Slenderman
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 06:43:02 PM »
Slendy Stats
So what you are saying is to hit him hard with mental attacks? Spirit evocations it is then! I look forward to my new slender thrall.

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2012, 06:55:41 PM »
Yyyyeah... that wouldn't end well.  Slendy invokes his "twister of minds" aspect for effect.  Now who's the thrall?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 07:02:24 PM by HobbitGuy1420 »

Offline Centarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2012, 09:27:09 PM »
So what you are saying is to hit him hard with mental attacks? Spirit evocations it is then! I look forward to my new slender thrall.

It is worth noting that unless you have some sort of psychomancy evothaum you cannot do mental attacks with spirit evocations by the RAW. To make mental attacks in combat against a non-helpless enemy you need Incite Emotion, Narcotic Saliva or some other similar power, or something that lets you do psychomancy thaumaturgy at evocation speeds.

Offline Lamech

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2012, 02:49:40 AM »
It is worth noting that unless you have some sort of psychomancy evothaum you cannot do mental attacks with spirit evocations by the RAW. To make mental attacks in combat against a non-helpless enemy you need Incite Emotion, Narcotic Saliva or some other similar power, or something that lets you do psychomancy thaumaturgy at evocation speeds.
I disagree. The BBEG in neutral grounds most certainly is using his spirit control for his mental attacks. Although in all honesty its a terrible idea.

Offline Centarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2012, 03:18:04 PM »
I disagree. The BBEG in neutral grounds most certainly is using his spirit control for his mental attacks. Although in all honesty its a terrible idea.
There are numerous cases in the Neutral Grounds module where player characters (on the pre-gen sheets) or other characters do/have things that are not really allowed by the RAW in YS. The mental rote is however justifiable even if you believe as I do that it is normally not supported. He has sponsored magic, and is at his place of power. Of course it does not really say exactly what he gets from this sponsored magic (besides the 2 mild consequences, which is worth at most 1 refresh), so it could easily give him psychomancy evothaum (which as I read it lets you use your evocation spirit control/power bonuses in place of control/complexity bonuses, since you use the methods of evocation and it is clearly spirit, also note Kemlerian Necromancy clearly states you can use the Thaum bonuses when doing evothaum, so I assume that is not the default).

Then there is just the balance consideration, Wizards are already strong (I wont say OP, but they are close). They already have more weapon value than anyone (if they can call up 4 shifts, they have most possible PC's beat),  more attack skill than anyone (yay free +3 bonus from foci and specializations) and have the most options in combat (range, zone attacks, combining maneuvers/attacks, enchanted items for high defense). They really do not need the option to attack a defense skill that is likely lower (for most non-caster enemies discipline is lower than physical defense skills) on a track with no toughness powers.

Offline Lamech

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2012, 08:37:28 PM »
Then there is just the balance consideration, Wizards are already strong (I wont say OP, but they are close).
Yup they really don't need to have mental attacks on top of what they have already. The example BBEG would be throwing out 8 accuracy 8 shift attacks. That means against most PC's means you eat a major consequence. Even if it was a physical attack AND they had supernatural toughness, they still manage to average a consequence a hit. Or if he wants to amp it up he can slam the whole party for that.

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2012, 12:44:55 AM »
really, Evocation is pretty much limited by what you can justify (and what your GM is willing to accept), so allowing mental attacks with Spirit isn't impossible.  Heck, all the Elements have mental/emotional influences, too. 

but that's sort of beside the point.  perhaps a new thread for mental evocation?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2012, 04:21:40 AM »
but that's sort of beside the point.  perhaps a new thread for mental evocation?

It's probably a good idea to read this first.

Offline JDK002

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2012, 05:28:07 PM »
I naturally came to the conclusion that you cannot make a mental attack unless you are in a mental conflict.  Much like you can't really make a social attack mid battle.  Now without a really good excuse (IE something really interesting happens because of it).

I also narrate that if you're going to try and attack someone mentally ot leans you're in effect creating a link between yourself and the target.  Meaning they can mentally attack you back.  Thus creating a true mental conflict.  As opposed to a player kist trying to exploit muddy wording in the RAW.