Author Topic: Stating Slenderman  (Read 4332 times)

Offline Edrac

• Participant
  • Does he have beer? If yes, will he share with me?
    • View Profile
Stating Slenderman
« on: August 16, 2012, 01:41:44 PM »
Recently a beta of an indie vidiogame has taken the world of youtube let's players by storm. That game is Slender a relatively short game where you are to find 8 pages scattered in a foggy forest at night. The catch though is that you are being stalked by an entity known as slenderman.

Recently I've been on a kick of watching as many ARG series dealing with this fictional entity. Marble Hornets, EverymanHYBRID, TribeTwelve, and recently I began watching DarkHarvest. Then it struck me, this guy would be an AMAZING Dresden Game Antagonist!

So I pose the question to the DFRPG boards, how would you stat out Slenderman?

And to get you started, here's the Wiki:  http://theslenderman.wikia.com/wiki/Slender_Man

I'll update with my own thoughts later, as I'm posting this on my phone at work. Truely where great thoughts are spawned :P
Cin vhetin
Once a person takes up the armor their past does not matter anymore.
Mandalorian Concept

Offline YPU

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Stating Slenderman
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 02:37:54 PM »
For those of you who are only now beginning to look into the slenderman phenomenon, be warned that some of the better written and performed ones can at times give you the creeps and worse they might actually fascinate you enough to start watching all of them.

EDIT: the slenderman has quite a large following and has more then a few people admit it is actually pretty scary at times. Seems like the perfect fit for a fetch, their native form is even not that different from it. Heck perhaps the slendermen are fetches in native form?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 03:56:11 PM by YPU »
Your Personal Undead

Offline Edrac

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 04:30:31 PM »
Either that or a Phobophage (spelling?) Were my initial thoughts especially with the connection to forests and child abduction/stalking screams fay to me.

But then again there's the idea that the more you know about him, the stronger, more persistant in it's stalking of you, or the stronger of a bond to you it has maybe would hint at an outsider. If not a full outsider, then maybe an agent of the outsiders? Reminds me a little of He Who Walks Behind in a way.
Cin vhetin
Mandalorian Concept

Offline JDK002

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 04:36:11 PM »
Funny you mention slender man.  I just made a thread about my scenario idea around him (it's the No Conflict Scenario thread).  Though I haven't done any stat blocking yet.  I was probably going to do it tonight.

But my scenario is kind of high concept.  It involve the players in the woods investigating several missing person incidents.  Needless to say they get stuck in the woods being stalked by slender man.

So my stats for him are of course going to be monstrously high.  My starting point for him is The Scarecrow stats in OW, and I'm probably going to modify and add a bit.

Offline Edrac

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 04:48:14 PM »
Funny you mention slender man.  I just made a thread about my scenario idea around him (it's the No Conflict Scenario thread).  Though I haven't done any stat blocking yet.  I was probably going to do it tonight.

But my scenario is kind of high concept.  It involve the players in the woods investigating several missing person incidents.  Needless to say they get stuck in the woods being stalked by slender man.

So my stats for him are of course going to be monstrously high.  My starting point for him is The Scarecrow stats in OW, and I'm probably going to modify and add a bit.

huh, after reading your thread, I like the idea. I was making this thread because I had a simmilar idea (but I'd be keeping the city as I live in rural New England, so forest abounds nearby every town lol)

Cin vhetin
Mandalorian Concept

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 05:48:30 PM »
GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Offline Edrac

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 06:06:28 PM »
Cin vhetin
Mandalorian Concept

Offline JDK002

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 07:08:34 PM »
Wow, he's an absolute beast.  It's pretty much perfect.  The catch would have to be something that pretty much takes him out instantly. 

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 01:01:57 AM »
Seems to be an interent phenomenon.  My friends niece just showed me an Indy game based on picking up notes in the woods and running from Slender Man.

See!  This is how Outsiders gain power!  Way to help open the Gates :P

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 01:03:43 AM »
Slender man is a beast.  I had to fight him on several occasions in the current game I play in. 

Swords of the Cross help!

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 04:10:23 AM »
That is quite simply perfect!

Thanks!  I had fun writing it.

Offline DMS

• Participant
  • Subtle AND quick to anger.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 03:20:46 PM »
I've been planning a game for Halloween with Slendie as a "villian."  I haven't gotten around to statting him yet, but I conceived of him as a scion of a Wyldfae associated with the Erlking.  Both of those characters have links to Germanic folklore, both of them are seen as beings who steal, terrify, kill, or are otherwise associated with children, and one of the first things that you read about scions in the novels (in Blood Rites, if I recall, when Kincaid is first introduced), is that they tend to be insane, first and foremost.  That seems to be a pretty good definition for Slenderman.

Of course, the simplest way to make him (and probably best way to kill your players) is to make him an Outsider, as that's clearly what he is.

Offline Chrono

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, 06:33:52 PM »
Wow. Sounds like a fun villain for a horror adventure.

Offline JDK002

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 05:43:55 PM »
I've been planning the same thing for my October sessions.  I'm probably not going to even explain or reveal what the slender man is.  Leaving it a big mystery seems a lot creepier. 

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 12:20:39 PM »
Let us know how it goes, JDK.  I'm curious to see how Slendy treats a party.