Author Topic: Tabletop Prop Making & Atmosphere building  (Read 3348 times)

Offline Keryth

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Prop Making & Atmosphere building
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2012, 08:54:29 PM »
For example, if you cast Malcom McDowell as anyone most likely the players will be suspicious of him and assume he's the evil bad guy waiting to screw them over. Because most of the time he plays bad guys. In fact I can't really think of any roll he's ever played where he was a good guy.

Time After Time. Malcolm McDowell plays HG Wells pursuing Jack the Ripper through time to the (then) modern 70's via his Time Machine.

Just pointing out a time he DID play a good guy
Shadows Over New York - A Dresden Files RPG Campaign with some added bonuses from Books, TV, and Movies.  http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shadows-over-new-york)

Offline Keryth

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2012, 08:58:29 PM »
Over my time as a GM I've used both props and music. Props usually add tot he game - Lists of Murder victims with faces and info, newspaper articles, copies of prophesies, etc. They provide the group with something physical to reference. Music though, seems to be more of a distraction than a help.
Shadows Over New York - A Dresden Files RPG Campaign with some added bonuses from Books, TV, and Movies.  http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shadows-over-new-york)

Offline Jimmy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2012, 03:40:37 AM »
Time After Time. Malcolm McDowell plays HG Wells pursuing Jack the Ripper through time to the (then) modern 70's via his Time Machine.

And Caligula! He was a good guy in that...wasn't he? I thought he was pretty awesome...
Be professional, be polite, and have a plan to kill everybody that you meet...

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2012, 05:26:44 AM »

and he starred in a short-lived remake of Fantasy Island where he was the magic owner that granted wishes.  There he was downright benevolent.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Praxidicae

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2012, 09:57:57 AM »
and he starred in a short-lived remake of Fantasy Island where he was the magic owner that granted wishes.  There he was downright benevolent.

I have to say I found that version a little dark. IIRC all of his assistants were souls trapped on the island in a kind of limbo between heaven and hell compelled to pay off some kind of karmic debt, and the wishes granted to the visitors were always a little 'off', usually leading to a epiphany of what they really wanted/needed.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2012, 12:03:55 PM »
I have to say I found that version a little dark. IIRC all of his assistants were souls trapped on the island in a kind of limbo between heaven and hell compelled to pay off some kind of karmic debt, and the wishes granted to the visitors were always a little 'off', usually leading to a epiphany of what they really wanted/needed.
Havent actually seen it in years so I couldnt say much about any dark tone, I had thought it was more of the 90's version of a supernatural mystique.  The wishes definitely twisted into a broader, more significant realization, which was the main premise of both iterations of the series.  But I didnt think his assistants were all trapped.  The ex-bank robber was, but his daughter left when she wanted, and the main girl, his shapeshifting assistant seemed to be more apprentice than captive.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain