Author Topic: Question on Maneuvers  (Read 1937 times)

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Question on Maneuvers
« on: August 13, 2012, 10:12:27 PM »
Okay, I have a question about maneuvers. It's kinda split into two parts:

1. Is it possible to perform navel-gazing manuevers out of combat? The RAW doesn't seem to suggest that, but it seems kinda reasonable to me.

2. If it is possible, could one place an aspect like Ready for Anything on oneself, and tag/invoke it for +2 in the Alertness roll to determine Initiative? It seems logical that an individual who was prepared and expecting a fight would react faster than one who wasn't.
GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
Re: Question on Maneuvers
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 10:13:21 PM »
I'd say yes and yes.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Ghsdkgb

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 10:22:57 PM »
I'd say yes, with the caveat that such aspects will expire after a time. You couldn't set up that ready for anything and invoke it the next day, for example. If your character has a nap, you'd have to re-establish it with another roll. Similarly, if your character is on midnight guard duty and going into his seventh straight hour with no breaks, the GM might call for an endurance roll to keep the aspect.

Basically, yes, but the rules do specify that these aspects are temporary, and the duration should depend on what makes sense to the group.
"I am responsible for more than my own fun."

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 10:26:55 PM »
I'd say yes, with the caveat that such aspects will expire after a time. You couldn't set up that ready for anything and invoke it the next day, for example. If your character has a nap, you'd have to re-establish it with another roll. Similarly, if your character is on midnight guard duty and going into his seventh straight hour with no breaks, the GM might call for an endurance roll to keep the aspect.

Basically, yes, but the rules do specify that these aspects are temporary, and the duration should depend on what makes sense to the group.

Of course. Cool.
GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 10:30:25 PM »
1) Sure, that's absolutely valid. For example, you could do an NGM for a scholarship roll, if you say you first gather materials about the subject you want to learn about and then use those presorted material to find what you are looking for. Of course, this is going to take time, so another valid option is to shift the duration of the activity around on the time table (YS315), depending on how much time you have or how many extra shifts you need.

2) Also viable, though at some point I would probably compel a character who is always "ready for trouble", to be a bit trigger happy and shoot a rat or something, thus declaring his presence. Double edged aspects ftw ;)

And Ghsdkgb is of course right about the time thing, you can't always be ready for anything. Or if you are, then you will be really (really really) jumpy after a while ;)
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 10:38:34 PM »
1) Sure, that's absolutely valid. For example, you could do an NGM for a scholarship roll, if you say you first gather materials about the subject you want to learn about and then use those presorted material to find what you are looking for. Of course, this is going to take time, so another valid option is to shift the duration of the activity around on the time table (YS315), depending on how much time you have or how many extra shifts you need.

2) Also viable, though at some point I would probably compel a character who is always "ready for trouble", to be a bit trigger happy and shoot a rat or something, thus declaring his presence. Double edged aspects ftw ;)

And Ghsdkgb is of course right about the time thing, you can't always be ready for anything. Or if you are, then you will be really (really really) jumpy after a while ;)

Yeah, I agree on all points. Personally, I'd drop the Aspect after the tag to gain Initiative - you can't be on your toes all the time, so having it after a fight shouldn't be possible, and it's kinda useless after determining Initiative.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 11:17:33 PM »
1. No, at least not by my reading. But you could use a Declaration, which is not much different.
2. See above.

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 11:21:10 PM »
So an Alertness Declaration of 'My character was expecting a fight' would be allowable, but making an Alertness Manuver to place an aspect 'Expecting a fight' before any fight  would be disallowable? Sounds kinda hinky to me. That said, I suppose it comes down to one's Gm, and since Haru is my current GM, that's fine.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 11:39:49 PM »
Really, this is just terminology. Maneuver is a term specifically used in the conflict rules and a few other places.

People tend to use it all over the place, but many "maneuvers" are actually Declarations.

Offline GryMor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 12:42:20 AM »
The spell casting rules use maneuver in non conflict situations. A _lot_ of thaumaturgy is, mechanically, a stack of navel gazing maneuvers.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 02:44:38 AM »
Specifically, the answer to question 2 is a declaration.  However, it is mechanically no different and perfectly acceptable.

I have a character who often makes an "Enhanced Reflexes" potion.  He creates the aspect (3 shifts) then puts everything else into duration so that he can tag the aspect (we usually ballpark it taking 3 shifts for "whole session" duration of something which would normally last a scene).  He'll then tag it either for initiative or athletics.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 05:10:43 AM »
Most of the few non-combat places where maneuvers exist are types of spellcasting.

Doesn't matter much, though, since as InferrumVeritas said there's really not much difference between a maneuver and a Declaration in this context.

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 07:23:18 AM »
Okay thanks for the clarification.

Offline Jimmy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 11:49:01 PM »

Prime reason you don't leave your Street Samurai's Wired Reflexes on all the time in Shadowrun :)
Be professional, be polite, and have a plan to kill everybody that you meet...