Author Topic: What Details about the World are Important to Include.....  (Read 2799 times)

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
Re: What Details about the World are Important to Include.....
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2012, 01:34:06 AM »
If there's a market for it and its something you enjoy then I say aim high and go for it!

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline gatordave96

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: What Details about the World are Important to Include.....
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2012, 10:58:57 PM »
One possibility is to put your character in an everyday situation and have him/her reflect back on the way it used to be compared with the way it is now.  For example, a trip to a grocery store, movie theater, government office for a driver's license/food stamps/medicare, etc. 

I could imagine that by taking your character through a shopping trip, you could tell the tale of the economy.  By going to the movies, your character could discuss the social impact on society (watching Star Wars would never be the same again).  I could also imagine a character who must visit a government office caught up in a discussion about the changes to the political situation.

By doing it this way, it takes the character and your reader to a more personal level. 
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." - D. Vader