Author Topic: What Details about the World are Important to Include.....  (Read 2826 times)

Offline Dresdenus Prime

• Conversationalist
  • More than meets the Wizards Sight
    • View Profile
What Details about the World are Important to Include.....
« on: July 31, 2012, 05:55:59 PM »
Hi everyone! I need some advice. I’m working on my current story, something that’s really taking off, and I want to be sure I cover all the basics that a reader would be looking for.

Let’s say that an alien spaceship crashed on our planet, housing hundreds of thousands of aliens. They didn’t plan on coming here, at least we don’t think they did, but now that they’re here, they want to live as we do, so they start to try and invade and take over our territories, but we fight back, and before you know it we’re at war.
Fast forward a year later, and there is still war, we hate each other, but a lot of cities have calmed down and accepted that no one is going anywhere.

(that’s not the actual plot, just something I threw together to reflect it and get across the point im trying to make)

Okay now my question is, what kinds of things do I need to be detailing in my book concerning the way the world is now? Things like economy, politics, religion. What are the important aspects of our everyday lives that will need to be explained by my main character in the book as to how they turned out after the world went to hell and back?

I hope I worded this correctly, if not, I blame my dependency on afternoon coffee (I haven’t had it yet)
DV Dresdenus Prime v1.2 YR6 FR(M)1 BK+ RP- JB TH++ WGH CL- SW+ BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++++ Murphy- Elaine-- Mab+++++)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Re: What Details about the World are Important to Include.....
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 06:38:18 PM »
My immediate reaction is "everything", but I can see that that's not helpful.

I'd say that you'll get a most convincing world if you work out as much as possible, but that does not mean putting it all in; work it all out and put in what fits scene by scene as you tell the story, I'd say.  You can get away with a certain amount of explaining things if you have characters to whom that makes sense in context (which is why so many SF/Fantasy novels are about either kids or strangers in new places), but that is easy to overdo; on the other hand, you can get a lot in by implication and trusting your readers not to be idiots.

In some ways, if you're writing relatively near future, you have the big benefit of being able to lean on how the world is now and anything that hasn't changed.  On the other hand, that does open you to the possibility of making more mistakes about real-world things.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 06:41:56 PM by the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh »
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Dresdenus Prime

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 07:17:38 PM »
In some ways, if you're writing relatively near future, you have the big benefit of being able to lean on how the world is now and anything that hasn't changed.  On the other hand, that does open you to the possibility of making more mistakes about real-world things.

It's sort of this. The big event prior to my book takes place pretty much a month or two from now, and the book itself will pick up a year later. So events will be similar, but at the same time I feel like I need to shift them to adapt to the "war" that's ravaged throughout most of the world. So in one year, would the world have agreed to make one solidified dollar/euro/whatever, will each nation still have an individual leader, or will there still be multiple. I know I need to touch on almost everything, but while I'm writing I want to make sure I understand things which are most important. Obviously economy would be a big one. Human lives will be lost, cities will be ravaged or destroyed, stuff like that. So then I feel like government would be the second thing I should focus on. I guess I'm just unsure of how much change can take place over the course of one year, and how much of that change I need my character, who as of now will be around 17 and in high school, to communicate about to the reader

I want to make sure I have a good skeletal structure for some of these things as I'm writing. I appreciate the advice.
DV Dresdenus Prime v1.2 YR6 FR(M)1 BK+ RP- JB TH++ WGH CL- SW+ BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++++ Murphy- Elaine-- Mab+++++)

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 08:00:21 PM »
So in one year, would the world have agreed to make one solidified dollar/euro/whatever, will each nation still have an individual leader, or will there still be multiple.

I'd very much doubt a year would be enough for a global unified currency, whatever the scale of disaster, or to drastically alter the political landscape of more than a handful of nations - unless the aliens have for some reason very specifically targeted particular established political interests, and it would take a lot of work to make me believe in aliens showing up on that time scale and getting both the understanding of human politics and the motivation to hack human power structures rather than smashing them. (I think you'd also need a bit more of the alien psychology worked out with regard to precisely how they see territory and ownership and so forth; it would break my suspension of disbelief for them to be exactly like humans in this regard, and the interesting areas would be where they have fundamental conceptual differences.)

I guess I'm just unsure of how much change can take place over the course of one year, and how much of that change I need my character, who as of now will be around 17 and in high school, to communicate about to the reader

I think the fundamental question there is, what's your character like ?   And the underlying fundamental point; description is character.

On one hand, I can imagine doing this from the POV of a geeky kid who is fascinated by the aliens and who is very much focused on what we know about them - quite possibly to an extent that surrounding people find suspicious and that has to be hidden.   Or from the POV of someone who very closely identified with their home and community, who has felt that be broken, and who is very aware of all the ways things are different now and very focused on the details. (It would be hard not to make that a bit too angsty for my tastes, I think.)  Or from the POV of a jock who doesn't really care too much care about any of that stuff so long as there's getting to blow aliens up, and who maybe still thinks of that too much in terms of having played Halo or Mass Effect or whatever seventeen-year-olds play these days (I am 39 and I play Civ, so no research help there) which would mean having to get the information across to the reader despite the viewpoint rather than because of it.  (If I were doing that - which I almost certainly wouldn't, jock is not a mindset I grok - I'd be very tempted to include background details in briefing notes as a chapter-header sort of thing, and have the jock not pay adequate attention to them and get in trouble thereby.)

Also, if the story is first-person, you have the consideration of who the character is writing it for in the fictional universe, and what the character expects that reader to know.  If the character is writing for a time capsule that's going to be shoved into the ruins in the hope humanity will recover in years to come, that might be reason to explain rather a lot, for example. 

(One of the nicer things about the SF mystery I am currently working on is having a first-person security-professional protagonist who every now and then stops to say "I can't actually explain how this bit works, that's still classified." I figure that would be obnoxious if anything plot-important relied on it, but it's helping me be clear on what sorts of information she can talk about and what her attitude to security is, world-building and character development both - and she very much assumes her in-universe reader has seen the in-universe equivalent of Die Hard and Lethal Weapon but has no experience with real security work.)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 08:04:31 PM by the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh »

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline superpsycho

• Conversationalist
  • It’s about communication - ET phone home.
    • View Profile
    • our forum on
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 11:44:46 PM »
You only include those details that are important to telling the story, nothing else is important. Why would the details of currency be important? Who cares if it's called a franc, yen or dollar. What matters is the quality of characters and storyline. Don't try and share some wider vision you have about the concept, since all it will do is distract from the story. 
Best planet I've been on so far.

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 01:18:16 AM »
Have all the ones you can.  Then only use them on occasion.  Nothing is necessary, but everything is useful.  Money can help define a society.  Or you can totally ignore it, just saying the characters paid for something.  If the price is relevant compare it to a month's rent or the like.  It gives people a sense of scale.  Religion is a great tool, but it can easily dominate a story if you use it.  And don't worry too much about the realism of your scenario.  No given path of events is likely enough to be certain.  Just make sure it is plausible and then explain things.  If you want the world united then discuss a charasmatic trio of generals that drew together all of the world's remaining military forces or something.  Just provide a backstory that seems likely.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 01:20:06 AM »
You only include those details that are important to telling the story, nothing else is important. Why would the details of currency be important? Who cares if it's called a franc, yen or dollar.

The history of a world a couple of years from now where a single global currency is a yen and the history of one where it's a franc have to be significantly different, and if your other details don't fit with that history, then many readers will not be able to believe in your world and will throw your book away.

Everything is important. From getting the basic physics right on up.

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 06:46:23 AM »
I would say a lot would depend on what you are trying to accomplish with your story. If you are establishing a world setting where you plan to put a lot of stories, it might be important to give a lot of details. On the other hand, if you plan to write a lot of stories there, you don't have to be in a hurry and too many details may create problems with future stories. I think it is important for you to have at least a broad knowledge of what is going on but how much you reveal to the reader depends on the story you are telling. Is it first person? If so then a lot would depend on how much the main character knows and how much he thinks it is necessary to tell the reader. If the story is third person then you might be expected to tell a little bit more. If the story is about the war with the aliens then it will probably be important to tell all about the invasion. If the war with the aliens just forms the background for your story then you might not have to give as many details.

How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline superpsycho

• Conversationalist
  • It’s about communication - ET phone home.
    • View Profile
    • our forum on
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 10:49:51 AM »
The history of a world a couple of years from now where a single global currency is a yen and the history of one where it's a franc have to be significantly different, and if your other details don't fit with that history, then many readers will not be able to believe in your world and will throw your book away.

Everything is important. From getting the basic physics right on up.
In the case you’ve outlined, it would become central to the story, thus required. If it isn’t relevant to the story, unnecessary information can distract, sidetrack or slow the pace. That doesn’t mean you can’t layout a world. You just have to make it part of the story.
Best planet I've been on so far.

Offline Dresdenus Prime

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 04:58:16 PM »
The book is in first person, and the main character is a teenager, but he's had things happen to him that throw him into the mix of the "aliens", so he does all he can to learn about them.

As to the war itself, like I mentioned in a previous post the book will pick up roughly a year after the "aliens" invaded and in certain areas there is a cease fire, and certain companies just want the fighting to end, whereas other areas the fighting continues. I'm doing this because I want my character to be able to access certain "alien" areas as he's progressing along.

Currency isn't really something I'm worried about, it was just an example, but I was toying with changing the political structure a bit. Sure one year isn't very long. But at the same time I'm thinking these "aliens" could have leanred that the US have one leader, and they take him out, which drives the government to deciding it may be better to split the presidency into multiple positions, or something like that.

I'm trying to find a good balance of today's culture that people will still be able to relate to, but a sensible change that would take place assuming an invasion of some kind too place. I want to avoid readers HOPEFULLY enjoying their time reading up until they hit some spot I didn't cover well enough, and then say, "wait....that doesn't make any sense!!!"

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 06:55:20 PM »
Currency isn't really something I'm worried about, it was just an example, but I was toying with changing the political structure a bit. Sure one year isn't very long. But at the same time I'm thinking these "aliens" could have leanred that the US have one leader, and they take him out, which drives the government to deciding it may be better to split the presidency into multiple positions, or something like that.

What might be worth your looking into, then, is the changes in the rules about order of succession to the US Presidency in the aftermath of the Kennedy assassination; it has been a while since I looked into this, but iirc it wasn't clearly defined beyond a couple of people before then, whereas now there's an order of succession with about twenty people on it, and there are rules about not having all the people above a certain place in that order at the same meeting (in the same city, maybe?) and so on.  That would strike me as an example of the scale of thing the US political system might plausibly do in response to an alien-invasion emergency.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 08:18:46 AM »
What details about the world are important to include.....

Whatever is relevant at the moment, so long as it flows.  I don't want an alternate history lesson.  I don't want an info dump.  I want to be kept abreast of our guy/gal's reaction and if relevent why, as in -  'just seeing those protestors marching down 5th avenue made my blood boil.  Presbyter the 5th, had been dragged through that very avenue and hung by his heels back in '38, by men and women just like those very same protestors.  Protestors HA! Celebrators of one of the greastest tragedies in modern times.  I aught to get a fire extinguisher and shoot the next few 'protestors' who marched past my office window.'

Something like that.  Or perhaps better done.

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 02:01:04 PM »
Whatever is relevant at the moment, so long as it flows.  I don't want an alternate history lesson.  I don't want an info dump. 

I'f say, by all means give me an info dump or an AH lesson if you can make it flow.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 06:39:22 PM »
I'f say, by all means give me an info dump or an AH lesson if you can make it flow.

To each her own I guess.

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 07:31:07 PM »
To each her own I guess.

Neal Stephenson appears to have made a reasonably successful career out of books with large quantities of fun infodump, so it's not just me.