Author Topic: Research: recommend some good non-fiction books on cons and con artists, please  (Read 1474 times)

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
Thread title says it all, really. :)
I'm looking for complex but low-tech stuff, pre-high tech and personal computer age.  Mid-twentieth century preferred; up to 1970s or so is OK.  Any recommendations most appreciated.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
Start with The Art of Intrusion: The Real Stories Behind the Exploits of Hackers, Intruders and Deceivers & The Art of Deception: Controlling The Human Element of Security by Kevin Mitnick, You might also enjoy his autobiography Ghost in the Wires: My Adventures as The World's Most Wanted Hacker.

Note about the above books: Mitnicks book do not focus on Technology, they focus on Social Engineering. Which is the art of the Con. 

The main principle of Mitnick's Social Engineering theories is this: "The most vulnerable part of a security/computer system is the human element. " & "The easiest way to get a piece of information you are not supposed to have is to simply ask for it. "

Another Social Engineering book is No Tech Hacking: A Guide to Social Engineering, Dumptser Diving and Shoulder Surfing .

That's off the top of my head.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 01:55:54 AM by Lanodantheon »
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 01:41:39 AM by Lanodantheon »
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Thanks for the suggestions!  The last one sounds most like what I'm looking for.

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Watch Catch me if you can, or read the book.  True story written by the conman.

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Just ordered How to Cheat at Everything and Catch Me if You Can.  Those should keep me busy for a while.