Author Topic: Ask a simple question...  (Read 18267 times)

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Ask a simple question...
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2012, 04:36:36 AM »
If each breaking of a law of magic has a bad effect on you, what happens when a chronomancer goes against the flow of time? Does she exist a little less or just slowly go insane or something else?

To use a less value laden judgement, breaking one of the laws of magic tends to make you want to solve your problems with yet more law breaking.  So, for example, break the first law enough, and you start to realize that if mass murder can't solve your problem you just aren't thinking of killing enough people.

So, Id guess that breaking the sith law does the same thing.  Get deep enough in that hole and the answer to "I'm hungry" is "go and eat breakfast", but more some sort of horrible plot where you arrange time such that you have eaten breakfast already, or something.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2012, 04:42:57 AM »
Not sure how simple this is, but...

How feasible, exactly, is it to make it so that only mortals can have Evocation and Thaumaturgy, and fully supernatural beings must take some kind of Sponsored Magic to use magic?
Not terribly feasible.
Some things have magic that is simply too broad to be reasonably represented by Sponsored Magic's single element/theme, while some others have magic that is more powerful than would be reasonably represented by pure skills (or skills and focus items; see below).

Related to the above, can you take specializations for Sponsored Magic? What about Soulfire?
Specializations are only available to those who have full Evocation and/or Thaumaturgy.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2012, 08:55:46 AM »
How feasible, exactly, is it to make it so that only mortals can have Evocation and Thaumaturgy, and fully supernatural beings must take some kind of Sponsored Magic to use magic?
Define 'feasible'.  ;)  It'd be a different game (not Dresdenverse) and you'd probably have to make some associated changes to things like refinements. 

Related to the above, can you take specializations for Sponsored Magic?
Yes but, as Tedronai notes, you need Evocation or Thaumaturgy as well.  Then you could build your pyramid to include some sponsored magics...something like +1 pwr Air, +2 pwr Fire, +3 pwr Summer.

What about Soulfire?
As the book notes, Soulfire's capabilities are not very well known.  There's no un-equivocated statement saying it's used as an element as Summer and Winter have...just one saying it's "most like" the element of fire.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Gatts

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2012, 12:30:47 PM »
Would a stunt that used Craftsmanship rather than Scholarship for science be too powerful? I'm not sure how narrow it is. It leaves out languages, medicine and computers which are all useful, but I wanted to run it by you guys. (Would call it 'Practical Science'.)

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2012, 01:25:09 PM »
Well, depends on how you define "science", but in general I'd say it's fine.

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2012, 02:22:28 PM »
Define 'feasible'.  ;)  It'd be a different game (not Dresdenverse) and you'd probably have to make some associated changes to things like refinements. 
Actually, I was considering this houserule to actually better fit in with the canon, but yes, that Refinement thing throws everything off-track.
As the book notes, Soulfire's capabilities are not very well known.  There's no un-equivocated statement saying it's used as an element as Summer and Winter have...just one saying it's "most like" the element of fire.
The reason I was asking about Soulfire in particular was because it appeared to be Channeling + Thaumaturgy instead of Channeling + Ritual, hence the increased Refresh cost, so I was wondering if a wizard could take Soulfire in place of Thaumaturgy and still be able to get thaumaturgical specializations.
[/quote]

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2012, 02:26:59 PM »
Soulfire as-written is capable of producing effectively any thaumaturgy spell effect, but that doesn't mean it grants actual thaumaturgy, which would include the ability to purchase refinement for specializations.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2012, 03:22:48 PM »
Actually, I was considering this houserule to actually better fit in with the canon...
At least one vampire had standard casting abilities in the books and, arguably, it had to be relatively common for the big 'kill your family' ritual to be set up.  Others are also shown with casting abilities appearing similar to evocation.

That said, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to retcon those - just need to figure out how to handle refinements.  Splitting up the sponsors agenda into discrete goals / elements might work.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2012, 04:31:13 PM »
I see. Well, thanks for all your responses.

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2012, 06:44:57 PM »
Can you make a thaumaturgcal spell a rote spell, by default? What about if you have sponsored magic?

Can you make a rote thaumaturgy spell that require you to make a number of successful declarations?

Say, a sorcerer with Superb Lore and a +5 conjuration control focus item. Can he make a control 10, complexity 9 rote that requires him to make two successful declarations/ invoke two aspects?

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2012, 08:07:58 PM »
Rote spells are evocation only, thaumaturgy is for when you have more time.  ;)   
--

Offline GryMor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2012, 12:11:50 AM »
Can you make a thaumaturgcal spell a rote spell, by default? What about if you have sponsored magic?

Can you make a rote thaumaturgy spell that require you to make a number of successful declarations?

Say, a sorcerer with Superb Lore and a +5 conjuration control focus item. Can he make a control 10, complexity 9 rote that requires him to make two successful declarations/ invoke two aspects?

Rote spells are for Evocation. The closest thing to an exception are Thaumaturgical effects executed with "The speed and methods of Evocation" on account of Sponsored Magic. Those probably count as Evocations for the purposes of Rote spells.

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2012, 02:16:07 AM »
So if you have sponsored magic, you can have thaumaturgical effects as rote spells? How does that interact with declarations?

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2012, 02:30:19 AM »
So if you have sponsored magic, you can have thaumaturgical effects as rote spells? How does that interact with declarations?
Any declarations, intentional use of consequences, invoked aspects, or use of foci need to be built into the rote up front.  The rote spell doesn't (can't) change when cast.  You can build those into a rote but, if you can't use one for some reason, you can't cast the spell as a rote. 

Frankly I wouldn't waste a rote on most thaumaturgy spells even when cast-able as evocation.  One potential exception is a ward.  (Perhaps this is how a certain wizard put one up so quickly!)  For the most part I want rotes to be those things I need right now - defense spells, veils, a utility boost, and perhaps one overcharged attack. 
--

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2012, 09:47:35 AM »
Heh, this reminds me of computerking's old thread. I wonder where that guy went...

Wow, Someone remembers me!
I'm still lurking... barely. Life gets in the way, you know how it is....
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.