Author Topic: Questions for Jim 2012 style 2  (Read 82843 times)

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
Re: Questions for Jim 2012 style 2
« Reply #90 on: July 24, 2012, 04:08:44 PM »
Okay then.

Also, I'm kind of impressed with the amount of questions you're asking, I'm probably the only one who's asked more. Which is kind of disappointing with the amount of veterans who should have years of questions stocked up on this board. :)
Veterans have seen the "I'm not gonna tell you" song and dance too many times  ;D

Are we ever going to see the Arkangel wizard base from a first person perspective?
Have we ever seen Mavra in person or has it always been through a corpse puppet?
Has Titania been doing as much scheming behind the scenes as Mab?
Who are Marcone's strongest allies in the supernatural world, i.e. has he branched out to more than just Odin's company and the Justice League of Chicago?
Does Ramirez have a deeper backstory than we have seen so far?
Can Lash only perceive what Harry can perceive, or could she for instance look on the opposite side of a closed door?
How many people that we have met so far were involved in the French and Indian War?
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 24, 2012, 04:22:31 PM »
Veterans have seen the "I'm not gonna tell you" song and dance too many times 

That's why you ask questions that aren't massive spoilers. :D

Unrelated, but writing down an interesting quote so I don't forget it.

Quote from: Ghost Story chapter 28 page 250
The theory I've heard espoused most often is the ability to sense such energies makes it possible for a regular person to become a wizard, providing the kind of sensory feedback he needs to gradually work with more and more energy.

This may prove that wizards gain power as they get older. :)
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Jebm

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 24, 2012, 04:30:50 PM »
Okay then.

Also, I'm kind of impressed with the amount of questions you're asking, I'm probably the only one who's asked more. Which is kind of disappointing with the amount of veterans who should have years of questions stocked up on this board. :)
Thanks, I re-read the Dresden Files on a constant basis so I'm always curious about things I didn't notice before hand or things I have questions about . Plus I try and think of questions that won't get the I'm not gonna tell you response.

Where did Maeve find Slate at and how long had he been a Knight for ?
Could Luccio take Shiro or Nick on in duel in terms of pure swordsmanship ?
What type of Magic did Warden Yoshimo use to make a tree come alive in DB

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 24, 2012, 04:36:05 PM »
Thanks, I re-read the Dresden Files on a constant basis so I'm always curious about things I didn't notice before hand or things I have questions about . Plus I try and think of questions that won't get the I'm not gonna tell you response.

Where did Maeve find Slate at and how long had he been a Knight for ?
Could Luccio take Shiro or Nick on in duel in terms of pure swordsmanship ?
What type of Magic did Warden Yoshimo use to make a tree come alive in DB

Are you trying to challenge my title as the guy who asks the most questions? Bring it.

What is the general layout of Demonreach? How big is it?

What was that trick with the ice cube that Harry saw at Club Zero in Turn Coat?

Did He Who Walks Behind slow down time around the clerk who tried to run? If no, how was he slowed down?

How long did it take the Wardens to find Harry and how did they do so?

What potion was Wizard Gomez sleeping off in Summer Knight?

What is Pyramid Sitting?

What is "getting real married"?

What was Wizard Montjoy researching that was important enough that he would risk a trip to the centre of the Red Court's power to research it?

Why was one wizard living under a polar ice cap?

Damn, Summer Knight is a goldmine for questions.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 04:48:08 PM by TheCuriousFan »

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline MartyTaylor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 24, 2012, 05:18:52 PM »
Okay then.

I think the reality is, we know that if JB has time to answer some questions, he's only going to have time to answer a few questions. The idea isn't to come up with a billion questions you'd like to know the answer to, but two or three really good ones that can give you a deep insight into Harry, the Dresdenverse, or a few of the important characters without getting an "I'm not gonna tell you." Think of it this way, Jim has time to answer five of your questions, come up with five good ones with out getting the dreaded "I'm not gonna tell you."
DV MartyTaylor v1.1 yr8 fr1 BK+++ JB- TH++ WG++ CL SW(+) BC+ SH[Elaine+++ Murphy-]

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 25, 2012, 12:47:41 AM »
Did the Wardens find Justin's corpse? (Here's hoping this puts the Justin is still alive theories to rest).
It's so cute that you think that.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 25, 2012, 12:52:39 AM »
It's so cute that you think that.

I know it won't convince the most stubborn supporters of the theory, but it will shut down the less zealous ones.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2012, 06:48:23 AM »
I know it won't convince the most stubborn supporters of the theory, but it will shut down the less zealous ones.

Well, even a corpse wouldn't be conclusive evidence that Justin is still dead. He could've died, but remained on Earth the way Corpsetaker did, and how Kemmler may have done. Dead but not gone. Then Justin's soul could have found a way to resurrect itself by taking control of a new body, or-- well, who knows what? Corpsetaker's method of resurrecting herself may not be the only method available to a soul still on Earth.

For one thing, the Sidhe seem to be able to see and interact with souls just as they would with embodied mortals. They can even make deals with those mortals, as demonstrated by Harry and Lea at Harry's grave in Ghost Story. So why couldn't Justin make a bargain with a fae for the fae to find him a living body that he would be able to take control of or possess? Or for the fae to arrange for such a body to turn up somehow, free of the soul of the original owner? Other details could be hammered out as well, like the gender, magical potential and so on.

Justin would have to offer something fairly important for this deal, most likely, which could take it out of his price range, but it is possible in theory.

All of that said, I don't think Justin's alive, myself. I think he's probably dead, since Jim has told us so repeatedly. I'm just playing devil's advocate.
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline mdodd

• Seriously?
  • OH, IT'S HIM. @paceace1094
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 25, 2012, 11:20:40 AM »
Does Elaine have any children? (not with Harry).
One year's forum service, nearly two
--------------------------------------------------------
“And the people next door oppress me all night long. I tell them, I work all day, a man's got to have some time to learn to play the tuba. ― Terry Pratchett.

Offline Jebm

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 25, 2012, 03:36:21 PM »
I think the reality is, we know that if JB has time to answer some questions, he's only going to have time to answer a few questions. The idea isn't to come up with a billion questions you'd like to know the answer to, but two or three really good ones that can give you a deep insight into Harry, the Dresdenverse, or a few of the important characters without getting an "I'm not gonna tell you." Think of it this way, Jim has time to answer five of your questions, come up with five good ones with out getting the dreaded "I'm not gonna tell you."
Well My six  good ones to add on the front page would be this:
1 If a White Court vamp became a Knight for one of the Fae Courts, would the power boost affect their vampire powers?
2 Does Mab have her own enforcer counterparts to the gruffs and is Lea oposite to Eldest Gruff ?
3 If Luccio had been able to make Harry a Warden Sword what type of sword would it have been?
4 Does being  Winter/Summer Knight mean you still have to follow the first law of magic and does the ritual allow you to understand how to use Unseelie/Seelie magic?.
5 Was Kincaid lying when he said he'd never seen a wizard cut loose like Harry did in Blood Rites ?
6 Is there a story behind Madrigal Raith's ward cloths and a reason for why he decided on a spear?.
The rest of the questions I posted were for fun and on the random off chance that Jim shows up on the board to answer them .

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 26, 2012, 02:21:07 PM »
When Harry calls Fix at the start of PG, is it Lily he's in bed with, and if not, who is it ?
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 26, 2012, 02:25:23 PM »
What is Justine's last name, and how old is she?  (let me know if this has been answered somewhere, I cant find it)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 26, 2012, 07:49:29 PM »
What is Justine's last name, and how old is she?  (let me know if this has been answered somewhere, I cant find it)

If her name has been mentioned, I don't remember it, but her age has at least been approximated twice. When we first see her in Grave Peril, Michael comments that she can't be even nineteen years old yet. Three books later in Blood Rites, when we see Justine again, Harry describes her as possibly not yet being of legal drinking age.

So, roughly eighteen years old in GP and twenty in BR. It's not an official age, but at least it's something.
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline wyltok

• Posty McPostington
  • With Great Power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 26, 2012, 07:53:23 PM »
I think Thomas mentions in Backup when he first met Justine. Pretty sure it was in zero, and quite sure (though not pretty sure) that she was underage at the time.
Every time you do something, somebody says: "(gasp!) That has this implication and this implication and that implication!" and you go like: "No, what I really meant was, the curtains were blue."
- Jim Butcher at Space City Con, 2013

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 26, 2012, 08:07:12 PM »
I think Thomas mentions in Backup when he first met Justine. Pretty sure it was in zero, and quite sure (though not pretty sure) that she was underage at the time.

Thomas says that he met Justine in Zero during TC, and I'm pretty sure the underaged part was evidenced in GP. (Edit:  I should have read AA's comments first, it appears he remembers better than I... Although I thought I remember something indicating how long Justine had been with Thomas before Michael made that comment.)
I'll try looking it up
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 08:17:18 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*