Author Topic: Questions for Jim 2012 style 2  (Read 82312 times)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Re: Questions for Jim 2012 style 2
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2012, 02:14:42 PM »
We could still hold out hope that Ebeneezer's middle name might be Richard.   :D

Oh, I'm hoping we get to meet Eb's sister, because her name is so obviously Flo.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline KevinSig

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2012, 02:40:44 PM »
Oh, I'm hoping we get to meet Eb's sister, because her name is so obviously Flo.

Does a gravestone count?  I kinda doubt any of Eb's immediate kin will still be around & kicking.  Remember, Eb's pretty old for a Wizard, so even if his sis was also a Wizard, it's very likely she's moved on at this point.

Offline Jebm

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2012, 03:36:39 PM »
* Is there a story behind Madrigal Raith's ward cloths or is it something he just keep with him in case of magical trouble?.
*If a White Court vamp became a Knight for one of the Fae Courts, would the power boost affect their vampire powers?.
* How highly ranked were the Eebs in the Red Court Hierarchy and would they have stood a chance against Susan and Harry if they decided to fight instead of the scrub and the Ick?.
* Is Fix carrying the same sword that Ron Reuel used or is it a different one and does he have his own tools of the trade when he's doing his Job as Summer Knight?.
* Was Kincaid lying when he said he'd never seen a wizard cut loose like Harry did in Blood Rites ?
* How different is rune magic from the magic we've usually seen in the series?
* You've said before that Ancient Mai doesn't specialize in combat magic. Then what is her specialty?.
* Does Mab have her own answer to the gruffs and is Lea Eldest Gruff's counterpart ?
* If Lara was forced into a psychical confrontation with Harry where her only option of surviving was to kill him, could she pull it off  and what would she need to do it?.
* Will we see Yokai making an appearance as the series goes on?.
* When did Molly make her wands and what do they do?.
* How much free will does Lord Raith have left ?
* If Luccio had been able to make Harry a Warden Sword what type of sword would it have been?
* Does being a Winter/Summer Knight mean you still have to follow the first law of magic?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 04:30:26 PM by Jebm »

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2012, 03:43:07 PM »
* If Lara was forced into a psychical confrontation with Harry where her only option of surviving was to kill him, could she pull it off  and what would she need to do it?.

Considering that she's less formidable in a fight than Bianca I would say that she is doomed.

Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Jebm

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2012, 03:57:08 PM »
I don't think Bianca would have been able to take on super-ghouls and a skin walker or survive a pointblank landmine like Lara did.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2012, 04:47:55 PM »
I don't think Bianca would have been able to take on super-ghouls and a skin walker or survive a pointblank landmine like Lara did.

Harry was never exactly the run in the book-verse.  Lea helped boost his magical muscle (mostly by boosting his confidence) before he went up against Justin. Harry laid low from Justin between the time Harry waxed He Who Walks Behind and when Harry went back to settle up with DuMorne). Then he slugged it out with Justin, burned down the only thing he'd ever had that was close to a home, apparently killing the girl he loved in the process, and got snatched by the Wardens at the scene.

TV-verse it works out a bit differently, starting with the fact that Harry himself was quite a bit older when the showdown with Justin happened. The actual interaction with Bianca in "Bad Blood" is totally different than the books, but extremely Harry. I mean, if someone like TV-Bianca had ever stumbled over book-Harry in the midst of his entire lifetime's single biggest moment of vulnerability . . .

My call on it is that Bianca is partaking much more heavily of Lara Raith's vibe than the Leanansidhe's. There's a little more peer-to-peer respect to their interactions, rather than the quasi-condescending vibe from the Godmother. More than that, though, the book Bianca was a fundamentally frightened and insecure person. It was what made her dangerous, really, and it's ultimately what got her killed.

Lara's a much stronger (not-quite)person, much more confident, much more dangerous, even if she isn't as physically formidable as book-Bianca was. She's much more of a player, leader, seducer than book-Bianca, and far better able to mess with Dresden's head.

TV-Bianca has way more in common with Lara.

Jim

Add to that the fact that Bianca has magic as well and you get someone worse than Lara in a fight (in anything but a direct fight however, I'd prefer to be going against Bianca than Lara).

The Skinwalker wasn't trying to kill.

The Superghouls main redeeming features are that they don't know how to stay down, they had a massive numbers advantage, surprise and that White Court aren't good with extended brawls. They're not that powerful individually.

And Red Court can survive a lot with a bit a blood, look at how a few drops of blood fixed up Susan in Changes.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2012, 08:17:26 PM »
Is the Gatekeeper always a specific member of the Senior Council or is it like Eb being the Blackstaff where Rashid also just happens to be on the Senior Council?
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline KevinSig

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2012, 12:45:52 AM »
Would a psychic attack on the nerves, be breaking the Law of magic, concerned with such things?  Eg - forcing opponent to suddenly see double & develop a wildly disconcerting lazy eye.  Or causing a massive attack of pins & needles which, limits the ability to feel/touch.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2012, 05:06:36 AM »
What's the deal with Stonehenge?  Harry mentions in Storm Front that is is a large scale Focus, and that you could tap it for magical energy).  Is it just focusing ley lines or some such, to build some sort of energy reservoir, or is it a focus item with particular purpose, like harry's various wizard tools?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline MrWiggles

• Participant
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2012, 05:51:23 AM »
* Does being a Winter/Summer Knight mean you still have to follow the first law of magic?
For ethically purposes? Yea. At least for Harry.

Politically? No. I dont think the WC could get away with killing a Fea Knight for breaking their rules.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2012, 06:08:39 AM »
For ethically purposes? Yea. At least for Harry.

Politically? No. I dont think the WC could get away with killing a Fea Knight for breaking their rules.

I think they were asking more about whether or not he'll still have backlash from killing with magic now. The Wardens aren't the only problem you'll have if you start breaking the laws.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline KevinSig

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2012, 10:34:23 AM »
What's the deal with Stonehenge?  Harry mentions in Storm Front that is is a large scale Focus, and that you could tap it for magical energy).  Is it just focusing ley lines or some such, to build some sort of energy reservoir, or is it a focus item with particular purpose, like harry's various wizard tools?

Uhm, I think that's kinda been touched on.  It's a place of power, like Chicken Pizza (Marcone implied that there were more than one).  The design is different, but the structures focus the energies of the Ley line, to whatever purpose you intend.  (I expect Jim is sticking with the Druids built it theory.)

The Pyramids, Greek/Roman structures are likely the same sort of thing in the Dresden verse.  Maybe even some old churches as well. 

I mean, yes The White God uses faith magic, but is at least aware of the other kind.  And before it's falling out with Wizards, the various faiths might have consulted with wizards for locations. 

The Vatican, is likely, since didn't Harry say that the White Council once operated out of it?

And maybe even the statue of Liberty & some various other modern monuments might be repurposed by Jim for similar means.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 10:55:11 AM by KevinSig »

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2012, 01:13:28 PM »
I don't even know where those questions of mine in the OP came from. They must be pretty old, because I didn't even remember some of them. Anyway, these are scavenged from a "Questions to Be Asked at Q&As" thread from about a year ago:

Some of mine(AcornArmy), to start off:

1) Angels are apparently all soul. So:
   1a) Can angels be soulgazed?
   1b) Can the Fallen in the Denarii be soulgazed through the second pair of eyes which sometimes show up on the foreheads of the Denarians? And, if so:
      1b.1) Will the soulgaze be different than the one you would see if you simply soulgazed the Fallen's Denarian host?

2) Would you(Jim) please clarify exactly who the Faerie Queens can personally kill and who they can't? And also whether these limitations extend to having other fae kill mortals? At various times in Summer Knight and in the rest of the series, we've been told or seen evidence that:

-- The Sidhe Knights are the only ones allowed to act in matters not directly related to the Faerie Courts. (SK, Ch. 10)
-- The Queens are not allowed to kill anyone who isn't a member of their own Court. (SK, Ch. 10)

And yet:

-- We've seen fae servants of the Faerie Queens kill and attempt to kill mortals many times.
-- Aurora was able to try to kill Harry just fine, but was unable to harm Murphy. (SK, Ch. 20-21)
-- When Harry is preparing to deal with Mab to become the Winter Knight, he thinks to himself that Mab can't kill a mortal, only make them wish they were dead. The implication seems to include the Winter Knight. (Changes, Ch. 30)

So which mortals can the Faerie Queens kill? Bob tells us one thing, but evidence in the books indicates something else.

For non-Jim people who'd like to try to answer question #2 themselves: I'm well aware that there are different guesses to be made about what the Queens' limitations are. I've made some of them myself over the years. This question is meant to get a definitive answer from Jim on the subject, though, so we don't have to rely on guesses anymore.

From Vairelome:

From one of the recent threads concerning Maggie, there was some discussion about her official last name right now (post GS, staying with the Carpenters).

So: "What is Maggie's official last name right now?" and if clarification is needed, "Under what last name is she registered at the local elementary school (assuming that's where she's placed)?"

From Karley:

1) How and when did Harry and Michael meet? Would you consider writing a short story about their first encounter?
2) How long has Arthur Langtry been the Merlin?
3) How does one become the Merlin?
4) Is the Winter Lady Maeve the same person as or was she some way involved with the old Irish Queen Maeve of Connacht?
5) If Harry ever does put his full effort into universe-hopping, can you make him go to Discworld?
6) What are the names of the other three minor vampire courts?
7) How did Justin DuMorne find out about Harry?
8 ) When did the old Mother Summer retire and why won't Mother Winter retire?
9) How old is the Gatekeeper?
10) How did the White Council annex the New World shamans and what were the reaction of the Natives?

From Eleyctra:

Is it significant that the eyes of Lea changed from gold in the earlier books, to green in Changes? Is Mab controlling Lea more than we think?

From jeno:

1) How old were Eb and Maggie Sr when they first manifested a talent?
2) How can Kusanagi be a Sword of the Cross when it predates the crucifixion?
3) How many sisters does Thomas have?
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2012, 01:29:24 PM »
9) How old is the Gatekeeper?

Already asked.

From jeno:

1) How old were Eb and Maggie Sr when they first manifested a talent?
2) How can Kusanagi be a Sword of the Cross when it predates the crucifixion?
3) How many sisters does Thomas have?

All three of these have been answered.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline KevinSig

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2012, 01:53:26 PM »
2) Would you(Jim) please clarify exactly who the Faerie Queens can personally kill and who they can't? And also whether these limitations extend to having other fae kill mortals? At various times in Summer Knight and in the rest of the series, we've been told or seen evidence that:

-- The Sidhe Knights are the only ones allowed to act in matters not directly related to the Faerie Courts. (SK, Ch. 10)
-- The Queens are not allowed to kill anyone who isn't a member of their own Court. (SK, Ch. 10)

And yet:

-- We've seen fae servants of the Faerie Queens kill and attempt to kill mortals many times.
-- Aurora was able to try to kill Harry just fine, but was unable to harm Murphy. (SK, Ch. 20-21)
-- When Harry is preparing to deal with Mab to become the Winter Knight, he thinks to himself that Mab can't kill a mortal, only make them wish they were dead. The implication seems to include the Winter Knight. (Changes, Ch. 30)

So which mortals can the Faerie Queens kill? Bob tells us one thing, but evidence in the books indicates something else.

I think this has been somewhat answered, through the books & the recent short story in Naked City.

The Queens can't kill a mortal, unless they've made a bargin, then all bets are off.  In the short story I mentioned, its said that the Queens can't kill, & by which they frown on other members of the Court doing the same, which is different than not being able to kill.

The only time I remember the Queens acting directly to kill, was in Summer Knight.  And the only death I recall off hand is Maeve killing that musician, who obviously had a bargain.  The other times I've seen killing, it's been by agents & proxies of the Courts, not the Queens themselves.

Edit: I vaguely recall WOJ, or mabye fan analysis, that Slate was kept alive because Mab didn't want to fill the Winter Knight with a temporary worker. 

Also, its been discussed that the table was used because it added Slate's power to Winter, not because it's needed to transfer power.

Fix was given the Summer Knight mantle while the table wasn't in Summer's hands & he didn't have to kill the previous Summer Knight either.  So a death isn't required & neither is the table.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 02:57:15 PM by KevinSig »