Author Topic: Automatic Hexing  (Read 1540 times)

Offline FishStampede

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Automatic Hexing
« on: July 19, 2012, 12:46:56 PM »
I've read through the rules, and I'm having trouble telling how badly a spellcaster would hex technology. Seems like a pretty basic thing, but the rules are either very vague or my reading comprehension is failing. There seem to be vague guidelines that a character with more magic will foul up technology worse, but how badly? Where's the cutoff between "just a bit old fashioned" and "lives like the unabomber"?

Offline amberpup

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Automatic Hexing
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 01:49:35 PM »
Just a quick cut and paste from my notes, which I know isn't what you exactly asked for but at least we got the page numbers out there.

Hexing - page 228, 249, and 258.  Accidental is a 'compel', while a purposeful is on page 258 with a chart.

Offline FishStampede

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 01:57:42 PM »
Thanks. Actually, could you PM me all of your quick notes like that? Though it's not exactly what I was looking for, it looks like something I would be happy to have handy.

The reason I need this is I have an NPC who is in a somewhat public position and is likely expected to deal with technology, and I'm wondering how much he can actually get away with.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 02:01:12 PM by FishStampede »

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 08:13:50 PM »
The rules are vague, yes.  But basically, accidental hexing is just a special case of compel specific to spellcasters (it's a compel against the character's spellcasting high concept), and in general you should treat it the same way you treat other compels.  That is, if there is a situation in which you think a compel against an aspect is appropriate, adds something to the story, and causes the character some meaningful difficulty, then offer the compel -- then the player can either accept or buy it off.

So I don't think any of the above is actually what you are asking for, but I think it applies, and I'll tie it in as follows.  Imagine you had a character with the aspect Two left feet (because he's clumsy and trips a lot), but he likes to run marathons.  Next, add that he's the mayor of the town, so he's on the local media's radar.  How often would you offer compels?  You're not going to start off every game session by telling him he tripped last weekend and his nose is still sore and toss him a Fate point.  That would get boring.  But if there's a big important marathon where he's raising awareness for breast cancer research and it's really important and the cameras are on him...

Same thing for your wizard.  If he's a wizard, technology hates him.  If he's a minor practitioner, it's probably not so bad.  But either way, the character shouldn't be hammered constantly, because that would get boring quickly.  One thing you could do in the situation (since the character is high profile) is to think about the problem more in terms of reputation.  Stuff is failing around him continuously, so folk are going to start calling him "Murphy" (as in Murphy's Laws, not as in the Harry's friend).  The news crews are going to be making jokes about what's going to blow up next.  He's going to have lawsuits pending.  Etc.

Bottom line: I'm not sure what you mean by "is likely expected to deal with technology", but you might want to rethink mixing a wizard with anything technological.  If Steve Jobs had been a wizard, nobody would have ever even heard of Apple.

Offline FishStampede

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 08:33:42 PM »
I gotta be kinda subtle about things since I know my players read the forums, so I'll spoiler this.

(click to show/hide)

Offline GryMor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 08:49:59 PM »
Based on the description I'd recommend the following:

(click to show/hide)

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 09:04:24 PM »
I'll spoiler this too, then:

(click to show/hide)

At least, that's the way I'd look at it, YMMV.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 12:49:03 AM »
Unless something is extremely sensitive we tend to let things slide until the wizard is drawing power or has active magic on or near. 
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 04:30:39 AM »
There are no rules for this, and the narrative is very vague.

We only ever really see hexing from Harry's perspective, and he's supposed to be unusually hex-prone. Plus he usually avoids the issue by not even trying to use tech.

So if you want him to use a computer, nobody can with authority tell you that he should be unable to.

Offline Rougarou

• Conversationalist
  • Just like Disneyland.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 09:50:22 AM »
Sanctaphrax makes some good points. For all we know, Carlos Ramirez has a cell phone and plays World of Warcraft when he's not out being a Warden.

That being said, when the complications of having a computer fail on him would be significant enough to be worth a fate point, feel free to use that compel.

There may be cases in which the accidental hex might cause complications for everybody, including the opposition. A possible example would be the character might unintentionally hex the lights out inside a building, at night, in the middle of a fight. Assuming that the wizard in question, his allies, and the opposition all lack the means to see in the dark (i.e. no night vision goggles, no Supernatural Senses, no shapeshifting into an animal which sees in the dark or relies on smell and hearing enough to not need to see) it may not be worth giving the player a fate point since you haven't really inconvenienced him... the playing field is still level. In those cases you might want to try something besides a compel. If he fails a control roll on a spell and doesn't take all of the extra shifts as backlash, maybe the fallout hexes the lights. Or, in the absence of fallout, call for a roll on his Discipline. Determine a difficulty to not accidentally hex something and if he fails, it gets hexed. I don't recommend that you use the rolling Discipline method too much, simply because I really prefer to use it as a compel or as fallout... something about those methods is just really satisfying somehow.

Also:
Based on the description I'd recommend the following:

(click to show/hide)

Probably not necessary, but spoiler tag incoming.

(click to show/hide)
"So you fought a hobo who tried to use a ritual to make himself a god?"
"We called him Hobosus."
"What?"
"Hobo plus Jesus. Hobosus."
- From a DFRPG campaign.