Author Topic: How would you model an IoP or enchanted Item like the Weasley clock in HP?  (Read 1406 times)

Offline JediDresden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Title says it all. Is it possible to to something like thins in the DV? I think it would be cool for a wizard family to have something like this to keep an eye on the family.  I am sure a Thaumaturgical ritual could, an enchanted item would only have a limited # of times a day, so I am thinking IoP might be best. What do you all think, Any suggestions?

Offline AstronaughtAndy

• Participant
    • View Profile
Something involving Supernatural Senses?

I think it would partially depend on how accurate/reliable you wanted the clock to be. I seem to recall it getting stuck on "Mortal Peril" towards the end of the series.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
I'd simply make it an aspect or part of the family aspect. It would be a great way to compel the characters to come to each others aid and such. There is no need to pay for it with refresh.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Praxidicae

• Participant
    • View Profile
I'd be very hesitant about having something created by a 'normal' wizard as an Item of Power. The description in text is:
Quote from: YS: pg 167
"an artifact that goes beyond the ephemeral items created by spellcasters and alchemists. This is an artifact with an ancient story, often drawing its power from some vast supernatural entity of old"
Personally it's my thought that an IoP would require some 'epic' story as to it's creation/origin. A holy reliquary, a Sword of the Cross, a Faerie Blade, a relic of a dead god, or weapon of a long dead hero, would be by my book a option for a IoP, even a family blade, passed down the centuries, and imbued with a fragment of the life-force of those who had borne it, but I wouldn't allow an average PC to just make a IoP, at least not without jumping through a heck of a lot of hoops.

Offline JediDresden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
If it was an item of power I wold probably have it handed down through the family as a powerful family artifact generations old- not created by the character.  I was just looking at how it could be done in the DV, and how could be done.  And what it would look like mechanically.  I agree a normal PC character should not create IoP.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Powerful Item granting Supernatural Sense.

A Powerful Item is like an Item Of Power, but not indestructible and with less grandiose backstory.

Offline GryMor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Not an IoP/enchanted item at all. I would model the clock as a long duration divination, one of whose components (and the anchor), is the clock.