Author Topic: Which is better - Enchanted items or Focus Items?  (Read 3513 times)

Offline JediDresden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Which is better - Enchanted items or Focus Items?
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 01:59:37 PM »
@ ways and means - Can you explain further, I think I understand - just want to make sure.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 02:52:38 PM »
@ ways and means - Can you explain further, I think I understand - just want to make sure.

Normally Each enchanted item slot = 1x lore shifts
Say Lore = 5
You get 5 shifts of effect

Now Say you have a +5 Power focus item (or Spec) towards item power.
Each Enchanted item slot = 1x10 shifts of effect = 10

Now say you also have a +5 frequency focus (or Spec) as well.
Each Enchanted Item slot = 6x10 shifts or 60 shifts.   

This is very refresh intensive but at higher refresh (submerged) you can have 72 (12 enchanted items with 6 uses) uses of 10 shift effects a session.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 02:55:44 PM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2012, 04:20:30 PM »
This is very refresh intensive but at higher refresh (submerged) you can have 72 (12 enchanted items with 6 uses) uses of 10 shift effects a session.
Even at lower refresh, you can mix and match your bonuses to drastically increase the effects.

Going from JediDresden's Lore 4 standard wizard, we have 1 specialization and 1 focus items free and we can take 2 points of refresh worth of refinement to work with.

We can start with 2 enchanted items at power 10 (4 Lore +1 specialization + 5 focus items) and 1 use per session. While 10 shifts is pretty powerful, 2 uses is not really that much. On the other hand, they can always be used again by spending mental stress.

Now we can go an take 2 focus item slots away. 1 we will put into another pair of enchanted items, the other one will be a crafting frequency focus. This brings us to 4 enchanted items at power 8 (4+1+3) with 2 uses each. Now 8 shifts is still pretty powerful, and the big difference is, you have 8 uses. And you have 4 different rotelike spells, so you can mix it up a bit, take different types of spells to be prepared for a lot of things.
You could even reduce the power on a few of them, if they don't need to be that powerful, and trade them in for even more uses per session. For example the 2 maneuver spell I mentioned above would only need 6 shifts, so you could have 1 enchanted item that does this 4 times per session with this model.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Lamech

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2012, 06:15:33 AM »
I always thought that enchanted items make good navel gazing mines, and good defenses, while focus items are good for offensive control, and getting 5 on thuramaturgy control. So both have their uses.

Offline FishStampede

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2012, 02:49:38 PM »
Well, it also depends...Asheville spoilers ahoy:
(click to show/hide)

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2012, 04:29:16 PM »
Like has been stated: Enchanted items can contain Thaumaturgy effects.  These are really the only reliable way to use them in combat.

A 5 shift Thaumaturgy effect can be quite effective. 

My players use them often to run away.