Author Topic: My Thaumaturgy House Rule  (Read 5002 times)

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
My Thaumaturgy House Rule
« on: June 08, 2012, 01:42:43 PM »
I'd really like to know what you guys think.

So, I, like many other posters on this board, have a problem with not being able to tell my players the "limit" of their Thaumaturgical might.  Or, rather, that if they have enough time, there is no limit at all.

So, instead, I've instituted limit on the number of exchanges that one has to control the power of a spell:

When performing a thaumaturgic ritual, you have a number of exchanges equal to twice your Lore skill in order to control the energies in your spell.  Other practitioners may aid you in gathering and controlling these energies, contributing up to their Lore skill in power, provided they can control it in two exchanges.

I know this means that Sells couldn't possibly pull off his spell, but I think it balances things nicely.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know (I'd really like a way to examples from the book, like Sells exploding heart spells and summoning the Erlking, to work but be extraordinary exceptions).

Offline Orladdin

• Conversationalist
  • The Undauntable
    • View Profile
Re: My Thaumaturgy House Rule
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 04:59:39 PM »
I'd really like to know what you guys think.

So, I, like many other posters on this board, have a problem with not being able to tell my players the "limit" of their Thaumaturgical might.  Or, rather, that if they have enough time, there is no limit at all.

So, instead, I've instituted limit on the number of exchanges that one has to control the power of a spell:

When performing a thaumaturgic ritual, you have a number of exchanges equal to twice your Lore skill in order to control the energies in your spell.  Other practitioners may aid you in gathering and controlling these energies, contributing up to their Lore skill in power, provided they can control it in two exchanges.

I know this means that Sells couldn't possibly pull off his spell, but I think it balances things nicely.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know (I'd really like a way to examples from the book, like Sells exploding heart spells and summoning the Erlking, to work but be extraordinary exceptions).

I've always been a bigger fan of soft caps than hard caps.  Simply saying "This thing works great right up until you hit this numerical wall here where it immediately becomes impossible" just seems sloppy.  Additionally, the fact that it invalidates examples from both the rules and from the source material should entirely invalidate this method or these limits.

I think the other thread has some pretty good ideas on soft-caps started already.  Soft caps being, of course, things that either gradually or gently suggest to, or incentivise, a player to back off rather than simply slapping them on the wrist and saying "no" after a certain threshold.
There is never a blanket answer to an ethical question.  This includes the Laws of Magic.

Perpetrator of The Cold Days Release FAQ

"I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones."
-- The Doctor, Timewyrm: Genesys

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 07:12:53 PM »
Agreed. Any solution should fit the flavor and the rules that already exist as close as possible. Like Orladdin said, there's been several good suggestions in the other thread on this front.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 07:57:32 PM »
I, too, am a fan of providing limits to Thaumaturgy, but prefer soft limits to hard limits for the reason the others have mentioned.  My current favorite (still theoretical, I haven't playtested it) involves adding a steadily increasing difficulty tax to control rolls.  I've cut-n-pasted it from an earlier thread:

Quote from: Me
The base time for thaumaturgy control rolls is "a few moments" (one combat exchange).  However, for a given spell, each additional control roll after the first incurs a cumulative penalty of either +1 to the difficulty of the roll or +1 step on the time chart (the caster chooses the split of penalty points between difficulty and time for each roll).  For example, a wizard might choose +1 difficulty for the second roll, then +2 difficulty for the third roll, then switch to +3 steps on the time chart for the fourth roll -- perhaps because he just spend his last fate point to succeed at the previous roll.

End result: simple spells (like Harry's tracking spell) can be cast very quickly (no prep time, and as little as one combat exchange for control).  Complex spells take exponentially longer and/or carry high risk of failure.  Example: even if a caster controlled 3 shifts per roll, a 20-shift spell would take around an hour and a half (with the last roll controlling 2 shifts at a +1 difficulty).

With a system like this, characters can attempt as difficult a spell as they want, but it will either take forever to cast, or will ultimately cause a control failure.  Control is more important than it was before, in particular thaumaturgy control focii become useful.  Lore is still useful, and Conviction is probably still only important when fast-casting.

Now that I think of it, there should probably be an additional Endurance-based factor to ensure that character can simple cast for a solid month to ensure success on a big spell.  Perhaps an additional +1 or +2 difficulty (that can't be avoided) for each number of hours equal to the character's Endurance?

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 12:18:12 AM »
If you wanted to base it on Lore, and to have it limit the duration that can reasonably be spent channeling power into the spell, while keeping the cap 'soft', why not institute a system whereby a caster hast Lore exchanges in which they can channel a single shift of power (or more if they choose), then Lore exchanges in which they must channel at least 2 shifts, then Lore exchanges when they must channel at least 3 shifts, etc
If that scales the difficulty too quickly, you could have each increment be 2*Lore, instead.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 12:30:56 AM »
Your time limits are already built in for the most part - they're just left up to the table to specify.  But temporary aspects have a finite duration, measured in exchanges by default and I'd apply the same to sacrifice...the sacrifice has to supply power / last through controlling the power.  Else it dissipates. 
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 01:03:23 AM »
I'm not a big fan of putting a cap on thaumaturgy. I admit, that might be, because I have not yet had one come up. So my first question to those in favor of a cap on thaumaturgy: what exactly is it, that you want to prevent? Did anything happen in your games that proved it to be broken? Are you generally worried, that it might get abused? Something else?

For me, the story of the ritual would come before anything else. If a player wants his wizard to perform a 100 shift ritual, and he has a very good reason for it, I'd let him. Even if the ritual is going to render the actual story unimportant, the ritual itself will replace it. So if he wants to crush the vampire lair from far away, he would still need to get symbolic links and a lot lot lot of aspects to tag, all of which will be part of the story.
And maybe the vampires are not here to stay, so he only has limited time to find and kill them, before they are gone (with their hostages/food!). Or someone he cares about is in that lair, so burning it to the ground is not possible. Or the vamps are holed inside a place that is crawling with people, so burning down the lair would mean killing a couple of innocent people.

There are a million ways to render a big ritual useless, without putting any numbers on it. And I see numbers more standing in the way of real cool stuff like little chicago than actually providing any help.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 02:09:52 AM »
I like pretty much all of the ideas on this thread, including the first one.

Though I do wish they took into account complexity bonuses.

I'm fairly certain that monkeying with the exchange system is the best way to limit thaumaturgy.

As I see it, Thaumaturgy has five real problems:

1. Sacrifices are too good.
2. Control is useless once you have 5 points of it.
3. Complexity is not that important for the really big rituals.
4. No rules for the amount of time taken to cast a ritual.
5. Big rituals are probably too easy.

The first problem is really easy to solve.

The other four are slightly harder, but solving one is likely to solve the other three at the same time.

A system which sets the time taken by a ritual according to the exchanges taken to cast it and the amount of extra complexity that must be gathered could solve all four.

Maybe a ritual takes a minute to prepare and a minute to cast normally.

But if the ritual's complexity is greater than your base complexity, prep takes 3 time chart steps more. If it's greater than twice your base complexity, it takes 6 time chart steps more. And so on.

And for each exchange after the first that you spend casting, casting takes 1 time chart step more.

Make sacrifices count no more than they should, institute sensibly increasing difficulties for Declarations, and you're done.

Actually...on second thought, this is probably too harsh on the high end. Taking an afternoon to prep up to three times base complexity is probably fine, but taking a generation to prep seven times base complexity is just brutal.

But I like the general idea.

Thoughts?

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 02:29:33 PM »
The reason I 'sneakily' limited thaumaturgy power by refresh was that I saw that higher refresh characters didn't tend to have majorly better skills, but were supposed to (potentially) be much better at thaumaturgy.

As an example, the ~25 refresh version Dresden still have something like lore 4, conviction 5, discipline 4.  You can't rely on having high base skills as a limiter of thaumaturgy.  And I don't much like the 'well he's obviously spent about 5 points of refresh in being better at thaumaturgy' excuse.

-------------
Here's the sample numbers (though I didn't look at this when I made the rules up):

-10 refresh version
Superb: Conviction,
Great: Endurance, Intimidation
Good: Alertness, Discipline, Lore
Fair: Athletics, Contacts, Investigation, Rapport
Average: Fists, Presence, Scholarship, Stealth, Weapons

5 minute prep complexity: Max of 9 (takes 3 declarations, average ~8)
hours of prep complexity: max of 23 (takes, 10 declarations, average ~ 19)
days (to weeks) of prep complexity: max of 73 (takes 35~ declarations, average ~45)

So, any wizard of the white council has a pretty good chance of being able to remotely kill someone with a few hours of preparation, and can do something on the scale of, say, a large bomb blast with a few days of prep. 

-17 refresh version (Deadmanwalkings version, around turn coat)

Superb: Conviction, Endurance
Great: Discipline, Intimidation, Lore
Good: Alertness, Athletics, Contacts
Fair: Deceit, Guns, Investigation, Rapport, Weapons,
Average: Burglary, Fists, Performance, Presence, Scholarship, Stealth

5 minute prep complexity: Max of 14 (takes 5 declarations, average ~13)
hours of prep complexity: max of 34 (takes 15 declarations, average ~ 29)
days (to weeks) of prep complexity: max of 98 (takes 47?! declarations, average ~63)

So a 'mid' power wizard can kill someone through most thresholds with a few hours of prep, and can probably level several city blocks with days of prep.

Listens-To-Wind (once again, Deadmanwalking version, 1st senior council member I came to)

Fantastic: Discipline, Lore,
Superb: Conviction, Endurance,
Great: Empathy, Presence, Rapport
Good: Alertness, Athletics, Contacts, Investigation, Scholarship,
Fair: Deceit, Fists, Intimidation, Survival, Weapons,
Average: Burglary, Craftsmanship, Performance, Resources, Stealth

5 minute prep complexity: Max of 30 (takes 12 declarations, average ~25)
hours of prep complexity: max of 56 (takes 25 declarations, average ~ 49)
days (to weeks) of prep complexity: max of 134 (takes 64?!! declarations, average ~96)

So, for a senior council wizard, killing someone is 5 minutes of prep and maybe 30 minutes of ritual.  Blowing up a building is a few hours of prep and a few hours of ritual.
Leveling cities is days or weeks of prep and several hours of ritual.

The Tunguska event (and Krakatoa) are both attributed to Ebenezar  in the books, and are a useful demonstration of ~100 shift thaumaturgy.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 11:18:09 PM »
The reason I 'sneakily' limited thaumaturgy power by refresh was that I saw that higher refresh characters didn't tend to have majorly better skills, but were supposed to (potentially) be much better at thaumaturgy.

What is your revision, again?
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 03:40:55 AM »
As I see it, Thaumaturgy has five real problems:

1. Sacrifices are too good.
2. Control is useless once you have 5 points of it.
3. Complexity is not that important for the really big rituals.
4. No rules for the amount of time taken to cast a ritual.
5. Big rituals are probably too easy.

1. Why? If you choose to power up a ritual with consequences on yourself, that is (in my eyes) pretty much identical with taking a consequence in a conflict to avoid being taken out. I have seen "just take a moderate consequence and sleep it of for a week in a row" before, and I agree, that is way too powerful.
And then there is the part about consequences being a measure of how important something is to your character. If a wizard regularly spends all of his consequences on rituals, including his extreme consequence, that is going to change and twist him pretty good. If the ritual is really important to the character, and not only a "because I can" action, he should be able to spend some or all of his consequences on the ritual, much like he could over the course of a campaign. Of course recovery powers may not apply.
If you inflict consequences on others to fuel the ritual, those others need to have consequences to inflict. I would not grant a wizard a blanket +20 to his complexity for every human he kills. If the human in question is just some random Joe from the street, I would grant no more than an aspect with a tag (yes, about as much as you would get from sacrificing an animal). They would grant as many shifts as they would have consequences in a fight.
And if your friends want to join the ritual and inflict consequences on themselves, see above. Especially if you want to kill someone that way, it is not much different from a well planned ambush.

Though I could totally live with eliminating consequences to boost complexity. You could still take them as backlash though.

2. Only if you don't have a time constraint, which I would put up as soon as someone wanted to cast some crazy big ritual. But we had that discussion before, and I still don't see the need above the exchanges.

3. Isn't complexity especially important on the big rituals? I admit, putting in 20 shifts of consequences can render that somewhat obsolete, but for that see 1 above. And once you remove grossly overused consequences, you arrive at the interesting part of thaumaturgy: gathering the ingredients (aka aspects) to work the magic. Basically, this is the "story of the spell", the book talks about. I especially like the summon of the earlking as an example for this. The ingredients themselves are not that hard to get, but each tells a story. Harry talks about "personalizing the spell not only to the summoned, but the summoner as well", which will make for a great story (the players have to tie who they think their character is into the spell) and depending on your taste can make for some interesting sideplots in acquiring the different materials. In the books, doing the ritual never takes more time than a few moments, the difficult and time consuming part is getting the right ingredients.

4. The issue is not so much casting the ritual. The ritual to summon and imprison the Earlking (which should be pretty high complexity spell) took only a few moments of chanting, while gathering the material took up most of Harry's afternoon. If the ritual is important to you, it sure is going to be important to someone else who is going to try to stop you (see 5 and beyond), and as soon as that happens, you are in a conflict, and a conflict has exchanges to count your time for you. And if no one else cares about the result of the ritual, then... why bother stopping it anyway?

5. I'm sorry, I always hear you say "Big rituals", but I have yet to hear an actual example of this being a problem. For now, it seems to me like a big case of theorycrafting. Which is not a bad thing, that's not what I'm trying to say, but I feel it is kind of working on a problem that isn't even there.

Do your players really create characters that would level cities? If so, do they have an actual reason to do it? Wouldn't "killing thousands of innocent people" stop most of them or at least make someone at the table speak up? A single compel at the right time can defuse even the most powerful ritual. If the PC are warlocks out to dominate the world, throw everything at them you got. Make them earn their world domination. They are about to level Chicago? Let a Platoon of Wardens rain on their parade (or at least one with a zombie t-rex). If they still get their spell cast in time, chapeau!
Harry would probably be able to scrounge up enough juice to do so, especially if he uses LC to channel the energy. But he would never in a million years do that. He could probably do away with a lot of his enemies faster and easier, but there is always a limiting factor.

And then there is the factor of the symbolic link, which in itself can render a lot of rituals useless. Yes, you might be able to summon up a 100 shift spell to level the city. But how do you aim it? Or if you want to kill a person with a ritual, because you can't get close enough, you will not be able to get the symbolic link as well. Or you might, and it is going to become an awesome story of getting close enough to scrap a piece of hair. The ritual would then just be the epilogue, the real action is going on well before that.

There are a lot of ways to make casting a ritual harder, without actually making the ritual itself harder. Yes, sometimes that means throwing the entire story over board, but if that is the case, then so be it.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 06:08:47 AM »
I believe point 3 was in reference to base complexity (Lore+Specialization+Focus).  At least, that's a problem that I see with high end rituals.  Once you're already dropping 20 or 30 or 40 shifts worth of declarations/maneuvers/consequences/etc, those 6 or 7 shifts that you likely started with just don't seem all that meaningful anymore, comparatively.

As for the rest, there would be more nuance involved in a response than I have the energy to formulate, so I'll leave those to Sancta to defend or concede at his leisure.
Slough

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 08:07:46 AM »
What is your revision, again?

here

As for other issues:

If you have a problem that can be solved by big thaumaturgy, then that isn't a problem for the characters of enough power level to pull off big thaumaturgy, it's a chore.

Here's my take on rought ritual complexity power levels:

power 20-30 remotely kill a single person, burn down a house, or something else that your typical murderhobo PC could do in a few minutes with what they have int their pockets.

~40-50, 'large' explosions, something like 1 ton of TNT.  radically transform people into moderate power monstrosities, controlled by your murder thoughts, do a variety of instant constructive effects, like build houses, dig house sized caves, etc.

~60
blowing up city blocks, and large structures like dams and skyscrapers.  Mass transformations of people into subservient murderhobos,

90+
making godzilla, blowing up cities, making self reproducing murderhobos, similar stuff.

-----------------

comments about the balance of terror.
remember that other (major) accorded nations have their own equivalents, or can just sling nukes at you if you start doing this sort of stuff too often.

Everyone will look the other way if you have to whip out the tzar bomba to stop Cthulhu, but you'd better have an excuse as good as that for most 'really high power' thaumaturgy.

--------------------

Slight Changes spoilers below:

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 08:14:32 AM by crusher_bob »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 08:59:30 PM »
I believe point 3 was in reference to base complexity (Lore+Specialization+Focus).  At least, that's a problem that I see with high end rituals.  Once you're already dropping 20 or 30 or 40 shifts worth of declarations/maneuvers/consequences/etc, those 6 or 7 shifts that you likely started with just don't seem all that meaningful anymore, comparatively.

Exactly what I meant.

Ideally, really big rituals would mostly be for people who've invested heavily in Thaumaturgical power. But by the RAW, that is not so.

The rest of Haru's post demonstrates the problems I was talking about very nicely.

First of all, he recommends instituting a couple of house rules that makes sacrifices less powerful. They happen to be more or less the same house rules that I'd recommend.

Then he explains that time constraints should be important, backing up my point that there should actually be time constraints.

Then he gets sidetracked by my poor wording. Sorry about that, Haru.

Then he explains that, by the RAW, you can't really have a story where Wizards cast rituals unopposed. Which is a real shame, since unopposed rituals make good stories and are a staple of the novels. Because magic is, in theory, difficult enough that the process of casting it is a good story in itself.

The whole point of a balanced game is to prevent the GM from needing to whack things into shape with his limitless power, after all.

PS:
Do your players really create characters that would level cities?

Yes.

If so, do they have an actual reason to do it?

No.

So they do other stuff instead. More useful stuff.

Blowing up a city with a big ritual is like beating someone to death with the Mona Lisa; impractical and a horrible waste of potential.

Thaumaturgy can do essentially anything. Killing people is a pretty lame way to use it.

This is not a theoretical problem, here. It's something I've encountered repeatedly.

PPS: I agree with crusher_bob's assessment of murderous rituals. But as I said, non-murderous rituals are better. They're safer and they don't cause the same retaliation/interference.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 02:02:10 AM »
Exactly what I meant.

Ideally, really big rituals would mostly be for people who've invested heavily in Thaumaturgical power. But by the RAW, that is not so.
Ah, I understand. And I concur, that is a bit strange. If you want to have thaumaturgy experts like that, this is absolutely going to need some reworking. On the other hand, there is quite a bit to say for 8+ shift skill replacement rituals without prep.
Harry himself states, that a big part of rituals are the props, because they act as a reminder of a mental construct, so you don't have to keep it in your head. They free your mind to be able to focus on something else, making it easier to gather up the energy needed to power your spell.

The rest of Haru's post demonstrates the problems I was talking about very nicely.

First of all, he recommends instituting a couple of house rules that makes sacrifices less powerful. They happen to be more or less the same house rules that I'd recommend.
I don't really see them as houserules as such. For example, nowhere in the RAW does it say you can double(triple, quadruple, etc.)-dip on your consequences taken to power up a spell. Yes, it explicitly states the "20 shifts per dead body" thing, which is incredibly broken for powering a spell, but on the other hand it will push the wizard over the edge for good, no matter what he is using the spell for. That should definitely have an impact on the game, either it makes the character incompatible with the rest of the group (a warlock with a KotC), or it shifts the focus of the game, making it darker, maybe entering a "what's right vs. what's necessary" debate. If that isn't something the table wants to, then that should be discussed in a situation like this.

I think this problem occurs, when the table is on the "GM vs players" mindset. In my experience, that usually leads to the players playing it safe and nuke things from as far away and as hard as they possibly can. That is not the kind of game I like to run, because it tends to get dull real fast.

Then he explains that time constraints should be important, backing up my point that there should actually be time constraints.
I think we mean a different thing, when we say time constraints. You are saying, that the ritual itself, the gathering of power, actually casting the spell should take up a fixed amount of time. I am saying, that the preparation is a much bigger part of that, both supported by the RAW and the novels. You can let your characters do a few declarations to have a handful of aspects for their ritual, or you can make them work their asses off for them. Instead of letting them buy a bunch of aspects at walmart, you can say "You know, you get a few candles and chalk and whatnot, but for a ritual that big, they won't be that useful. That's one 'cheap ritual equipment' aspect, nothing more."

Then he gets sidetracked by my poor wording. Sorry about that, Haru.
The thing is, I don't see the problem you guys seem to be having, because I haven't run into it yet. At the moment I'm trying to understand it, which is bound to carry with it quite a few misconceptions and misunderstandings, so no harm done.

Then he explains that, by the RAW, you can't really have a story where Wizards cast rituals unopposed. Which is a real shame, since unopposed rituals make good stories and are a staple of the novels. Because magic is, in theory, difficult enough that the process of casting it is a good story in itself.
Not really what I'm saying. On the contrary, I talked about the Earlking summoning twice, and it is a very good example of an unopposed ritual. But that happens at the "speed of plot", I don't see the need of putting up a time constraint there. Depending on the rules proposed in this thread, it would have taken Harry weeks to perform this ritual, if he would have been able to do so at all. I just don't see the ritual itself all that interesting. It is everything around it, that makes it interesting. Look at it. Harry talks a whole lot about preparing the spell, putting down the barbed wire ring, the items he has chosen to represent himself and the earlking, the energies of the day fading away and the night coming in all wild and untamed, those are all great declarations and maneuvers that help to reach the high complexity he needs. All of that takes up way more pages than when he is actually gathering up the energy for the spell.

What I meant with what I said is, that if you are not opposed, nothing is going to stop you from casting the spell. You can take your time and play it safe. There is no need to know how much time casting the spell is going to take. 5 minutes, 20 minutes, 2 hours, is it really going to make a difference, if you are not working against a clock? On the other hand, if you are working against the clock, you can easily do that with one of the

The whole point of a balanced game is to prevent the GM from needing to whack things into shape with his limitless power, after all.
Yes, but the more open a system is, the more the balance relies upon the open discussion between the involved parties. A system like D&D, where every possible spell is listed in the books, and there is nothing besides that is a way to balance a magic system without involving the GM. A spell can do what is listed in its writeup, and that is that, there is nothing to argue. For both sides, actually, if a GM doesn't like a spell, there is little he can do beside the ban hammer.

Maybe this is the core of the issue I have with a limit on thaumaturgy, whatever way that would be.

PS:
Yes.

No.

So they do other stuff instead. More useful stuff.
As long as they want to do a city-leveling-ritual but don't go through with it, I again don't see the problem. I've joked about a lot of nonsense actions in my time as a player. If they really want to push something like this, then it is going to be come a problem, absolutely.

I know I'm nagging on this, but would you mind providing an actual example of this happening? At the moment I imagine something like this:
GM: So you hear about this vampire nest in New Orleans
P1: Nah, I'd like to go and destroy Baltimore with a giant ritual, who's game?
P2: I'm in.
P3: Yeah, let's do that!

Which is very odd, and I can't imagine it happening quite like this, that's why I'm asking.

Blowing up a city with a big ritual is like beating someone to death with the Mona Lisa; impractical and a horrible waste of potential.

Thaumaturgy can do essentially anything. Killing people is a pretty lame way to use it.
That is a great picture. And a statement I agree with. Which is another part of my argument. I would say we are playing this game (or any game) to have fun. If a part of the game is lame, then why would you even use it? This goes back to my argument above. If you are playing with a "GM vs. Players" mindset, the players are going to feel the need to take the safest, not the coolest or most interesting route. Now I'm not saying that that is what you want to do, but talking about something like this is a rare case on the tables I've played, and I myself have been burned pretty good when trying to put the rule of cool to use as a player.

TL;DR:
A free magic system like this needs discussion between GM and Player as part of the balance. Big rituals can be a way to play it safe, if the players feel the need to do so ("GM vs. Players" mentality). Discussion, not arbitrary caps should determine the limit of rituals.

If something up there is incoherent or incomplete, I have overlooked it. I've been jumping back and forth a bit while writing.