Author Topic: Do you blog?  (Read 2282 times)

Offline Darkshore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Do you blog?
« on: June 05, 2012, 02:35:02 AM »
Hey there all. I have a blog, it's here at http://dustinbishop.wordpress.com/ if anyone's interested. I've kinda "epic failed" at keeping up with it during college...I got completely swamped and the thought of keeping up with interesting posts and my blog series (cool idea, didn't think about the time sink) just filled me with dread. But now I'd like to get back into the swing of it and I was wondering if any of you do the same?

My blog series is sort of like if Supernatural was a B-movie with a little more realism. You can check it out here if that sort of thing interests you. http://dustinbishop.wordpress.com/2012/01/14/salt-and-iron-episode-one-midnight-riot/ I went very minimalism with the prose here, but a lot of people have told me they enjoyed it. I'd be glad to stop by your blogs as well and I'd be really interested in any other "blog series".

Offline earthshoes

• Participant
  • Not user friendly
    • View Profile
Re: Do you blog?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 02:03:46 AM »
I'm a proud mommy blogger with a handful of faithful readers (and I do mean handful, but I'm grateful for every one of them).  I've been keeping one since 2003 or so and think of it as journaling in public. http://earthshoes41.blogspot.com/  Most frequently covered topics: my kids, my husband, gardening, dogs, observations about those around me, what I'm reading or listening to. Occasionally I rant about whatever's pissed me off or inspired me that day (social consciousness rants). Once in a while I talk about the ins and outs of writing and whatever I'm working on at the time. Once in a very rare while, I sell a story. Most of the time I don't.
"Weave real connections, create real nodes, build real houses.
Live a life you can endure: Make love that is loving.
Keep tangling and interweaving and taking more in,
a thicket and bramble wilderness to the outside but to us
interconnected with rabbit runs and burrows and lairs."--Marge Piercy

Offline LDWriter2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Musings of L.E.
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 04:59:53 AM »
Yeah, I blog.   http://musingsofle.blogspot.com

Blogs go back a ways.  A combo(maybe I should say fusion)of venting, what I've learned about writing, what I'm reading, new songs I've bought, a couple letters to the editor--published and unpublished, what I am writing. And a few other items thrown in now and then.

Other blogs I like on left side and down a bit, things I like on right down further, something about me way down. 
Working on Turning Lead into Gold

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 08:07:50 PM »
@ Darkshore:  Going kinda off topic here, but do you find WordPress to be a user-friendly site?  I'm looking into building my own website and WP is one of the tools I'm considering.  Any input will be helpful, here or in my "website building for idiots" thread in the Advice column.  thanks!
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Spot

• Posty McPostington
  • Lazer eyes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 09:00:45 PM »
I have two blogs, or rather one personal journal on LiveJournal (http://spotty-sri.livejournal.com) and a WordPress blog that the husband and I maintain for our consulting business.

I find that LiveJournal is pretty neat because it offers so many more privacy settings than WordPress, and so it works really well as a personal journal. WordPress is really user-friendly too, and offers many more settings for commercial blogs (such as user statistics, integration with analytics tools, and so many free templates).

* If you'd like to read my LiveJournal blog, you will need a LiveJournal account because a lot of my posts are tightly locked up to keep trolls and stalkers (:P) away.
Old gods. New gods. Aren't they all the same?

Offline Darkshore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 01:01:54 AM »
Forgot to check this thread hehe. Yay! I'm glad to see some other bloggers! I'm in dire need of tips for how to keep up a blog and make it gain some followers. My idea was for the blog series to bring in some readers that liked the premise, but...my novel and college/work almost stopped that project dead.

As for Wordpress. I'm still a big newbie to blogging, but I feel like it's really easy to get a hang of the basics. I haven't really tried to customize too much of it yet though.

Offline Spot

• Posty McPostington
  • Lazer eyes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 06:30:18 PM »
Forgot to check this thread hehe. Yay! I'm glad to see some other bloggers! I'm in dire need of tips for how to keep up a blog and make it gain some followers. My idea was for the blog series to bring in some readers that liked the premise, but...my novel and college/work almost stopped that project dead.

As for Wordpress. I'm still a big newbie to blogging, but I feel like it's really easy to get a hang of the basics. I haven't really tried to customize too much of it yet though.
I make it a point to update my personal blog every day. It's just something I do, no matter how busy I am that day. As far as the professional blog goes, I have to put some thought into what I need to write, and that can take time. So what I do is I schedule posts. So when I'm free, I'll write a few posts and have them ready to go. And then I publish them one at a time. The idea is to put as much effort into your blog posts (no matter what they are about) as you would in a day job. The moment your blog becomes "not as important" is when it starts to die out and is going to start losing readers.

A good way to gain followers is to use social networking websites to blast information about your blog posts. Whenever I publish something on my professional blog, it goes out on Linkedin and Facebook. Husband evangelizes his posts on Twitter, Linkedin, Facebook, and some other websites that are related to what he's blogging about. For example, if it's a post about photography techniques, he'll post on photography forums. He's gained a few followers that way.

I also find that joining online communities or commenting/reading other people's blogs that are about the same topic you write about, is quite helpful. I've gained a few followers that way.
Old gods. New gods. Aren't they all the same?

Offline Marie August

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • The Fox and The Firebird
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 06:15:26 AM »
@ Darkshore:  Going kinda off topic here, but do you find WordPress to be a user-friendly site?  I'm looking into building my own website and WP is one of the tools I'm considering.  Any input will be helpful, here or in my "website building for idiots" thread in the Advice column.  thanks!

Blogger is more user friendly.

Read my fairy tale webcomic, The Fox & The Firebird, at: http://www.fairytaletwisted.com