Author Topic: A Monarchy done right?  (Read 7413 times)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Re: A Monarchy done right?
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 02:01:17 AM »
I love your concepts for this wonderful world and they spark all sorts of nifty things in my head. I really enjoy the time frame, the fantasy world, the journey, and the backbone you are constructing. I've no idea if these thoughts fit with your flow, but here are some hodge-podge ideas this thread and your idea sparked. Still, what I wanted to 'play' with wouldn't work with the traditional definitions. So, off to a dictionary to find what I wanted. I highlighted them.

Free dictionary defines a monarchy as:mon·ar·chy  (mnr-k, -är-)
n. pl. mon·ar·chies
1. Government by a monarch.
2. A state ruled or headed by a monarch.

And a monarch as:
n.
1. One who reigns over a state or territory, usually for life and by hereditary right, especially:
a. A sole and absolute ruler.
b. A sovereign, such as a king or empress, often with constitutionally limited authority: a constitutional monarch.
2. One that commands or rules: "I am monarch of all I survey" (William Cowper).
3. One that surpasses others in power or preeminence: "Mont Blanc is the monarch of the mountains" (Byron).
4. A monarch butterfly.

First to MClark. Monarchies aren't always bad, but the 'heirs' often are. The problem with monarchies is succession. That's why I went to the definitions, because I didn't know if you could have a monarchy that was not by genetic line. Apparently, you can. Perhaps autocracy is a better term for where my mind drifted.

2nd: As to the concept of trials, there is no guarantee that succeeding at trials will evolve a true moral leader. Besting others in magic schools and physical power might assure power, but not necessarily just and wise rule--unless trials test more than 'might'. (Somehow that bores me.) I saw your world as a threatened utopia.

3rd: I'm especially drawn to the secret society option, but as others have pointed out, this has as many inherent problems such as the might = right problem. Still, I was so drawn that I had to figure out a way to make it work within your world. See below.

4th: Lost Stars and Astrology-very exciting.

Further, I've assumed that you begin with a utopia that is threatened. In other words, this system has worked well for thousands of years. (I'm always a fan of Lost Horizon stories.) How does it work well?

Also, 'breaking out of the insulation of wealth and power' is another favorite plot line for me, i.e. succeeding over poverty or wealth or power into a higher consciousness. Then I always want that soul to attempt ascension to leadership, bringing the society with it. Usually it fails in the story, but the glorious flight to the sun ending in crash is still a favorite.

MClark: Yes to princess and yes to your male or female sovereign.
The Deposed King: Yes to the pilgrimage. Hero's journeys work. The Alchemist will always be a favorite of mine.

Suggest opening your Guild (economic) and your House (political) conflict concept needs to be expanded to include the Magic Schools (seats of knowledge/history/occult).

As to taxes, you mention the Guilds and the Houses, but don't overlook the Schools. They could be your 3rd pillar. Just because they are schools in you magical society they probably have power and money and thus should be taxed as well.

Key question to answer is, "Why does the society follow this monarchy system?" You've given and been given some ideas. My idea goes backward from those since I begin with an utopia and see it threatened. And you are right, you need the villain. It's essential. On the other hand, this is such a cool world to play in! I further see it as a world of knowledge without need for money, but that doesn't mean there isn't political intrigue. Why? Because I'd prefer to pursue the ethics of leadership over the mundane of economy in this world. That's just me--or because I'm so wrapped up in economic turmoil in my current WiP... :-) It can get a tad boring to make exciting.

So, what if... The schools, the guilds, the houses (geographical over genetic line houses) select, via their own various tests, five-year-old children who enter the 'monarch school'. This school is isolated from the world and all students give up cast and their families. Raised by super monks or Buddhist-type isolationists, these 'talented' young children will feed the upper echelons of the schools, and perhaps the guilds and houses. The finalists slip into the other magic schools at high levels to be tested. The top finalists are sent out on the journey penniless to prove their wisdom (or to gain their wisdom).  The monks have no influence outside the school other than to monitor the finalists so there is no threat they will influence the future heir. When the final selection is made--it is made by those who cannot influence the future leader---train and release concept.

Yes, this is sounding like a familiar plot line, isn't it? Goldie Oldie. Then I'd interweave the conflict as background as the journey is made. Let the evil be seen as a creeping blight upon the people these individuals meet--frightening and seen to be growing. Any battles are small at first and individual growing in depth and ever growing populace. As they gain their wisdom, they are also being exposed to what they must learn to fight. Some would fall to the evil, others would fail and fall away back into the masses, a few will succeed only to lose, and one... only one becomes the lost star to lead the world. In a way, these 'lost stars' are like comets--some burn out with specatular bursts of beauty, some never get close enough to see, but a rare one will brighten the night sky with hope. These concepts sound christian, but are actually universal theologies and fulfill universal needs within all of us.

Uhm... That I would like to read.  Good luck, my friend.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 09:06:42 PM »

I love your concepts for this wonderful world and they spark all sorts of nifty things in my head. I really enjoy the time frame, the fantasy world, the journey, and the backbone you are constructing. I've no idea if these thoughts fit with your flow, but here are some hodge-podge ideas this thread and your idea sparked. Still, what I wanted to 'play' with wouldn't work with the traditional definitions. So, off to a dictionary to find what I wanted. I highlighted them.

2nd: As to the concept of trials, there is no guarantee that succeeding at trials will evolve a true moral leader. Besting others in magic schools and physical power might assure power, but not necessarily just and wise rule--unless trials test more than 'might'. (Somehow that bores me.) I saw your world as a threatened utopia.
A Trial by Combat would be only one of the available Trials, and a bit of an archaic one at that.  Mostly it would be Trials to perform magic of suitably large scale/complexity to be counted as an equal by your Peers in the Circle, craft a masterpiece, Manage the business into record gains, etc.  In many cases the Trials to prove yourself worthy of a House position would basically just mean you achieve a suitable rank in one of the Circles.  The point of the Trial idea is to allow for abberant talents to gain recognition even if they dont have House backing, for useless people to be prevented from gaining authority, and to support the idea that those in power have proven themselves worthy of leadership, though the definitions of "Worthy" will varry some from house to house, and is a theme I plan to explore some during the story.  But military might will still be a big plus, as im thinking the threat of monster invasion will be a motivating force in the society. 

Suggest opening your Guild (economic) and your House (political) conflict concept needs to be expanded to include the Magic Schools (seats of knowledge/history/occult).

As to taxes, you mention the Guilds and the Houses, but don't overlook the Schools. They could be your 3rd pillar. Just because they are schools in you magical society they probably have power and money and thus should be taxed as well.
The Guilds /are/ the Schools, the seats of knowledge.  Each guild is responsible for teaching (and more recently Certifying) any with aptitude to learn and who can make the pilgrimage to one of the Temples (promising candidates may be sponsored, etc).  If you have ever read the PERN novels by Anne Mccaffery, its the same idea: Houses and Guilds for Holds and Crafthalls, respectively.  A person goes off to learn their craft, with the general understanding that they will be expected to come home and practice their skills for the good of their Family.  Cities support a Guildhalls to promote the industry they represent, and will have biases based on their land's resources and such.  A guildhall in turn trains the local populous, identifies potential talents worthy of  Pilgrimage to a larger Hall for advanced training, and maintains the knowledge and practical standards.  The actual commerce will take place in a more traditional shop/marketplace setting, with individual merchant Houses selling their wares (usually magic to some degree) that were created with the help of whatever talents the Family has trained, and whatever Artifacts they have managed to accumulate over their history.  Families tend to spawn similar talents, but this is a Nurture over Nature instance; Fire Elementalists tend to raise their kids to think like Fire Elementalists, and as a direct result they are better suited for it.  Same goes for a Shaman or Mage, etc. 

Key question to answer is, "Why does the society follow this monarchy system?" You've given and been given some ideas. My idea goes backward from those since I begin with an utopia and see it threatened. And you are right, you need the villain. It's essential. On the other hand, this is such a cool world to play in! I further see it as a world of knowledge without need for money, but that doesn't mean there isn't political intrigue. Why? Because I'd prefer to pursue the ethics of leadership over the mundane of economy in this world. That's just me--or because I'm so wrapped up in economic turmoil in my current WiP... :-) It can get a tad boring to make exciting.

This is why Im leaning toward the looming invasion threat. Have the Leaders play a vital role in some established defense system, so that any breach of continuity would be seen as a catastrophic vulnerability.  They can plot and scheme for who will fill the roles, but they are all darwinianly (real word?) committed to maintaining the current system. 

As far as the currency, Im willing to leave it as a loosely established thing, so that barter will stil be a common business mode. Its further complicated since Magic is the main valuable thing, so striking the balance between good and services will be tricky.  I want Magic and magic items to be commonplace, so low level charms or other charged-use magic items will be needed.  I havent decided if I should have currency issued by the Guilds in some standardized unit of Energy (essentially bartering with either batteries or some common denominator charm from each Circle); in this case actual commerce would still be a barter system, but with these small object as the common measuring unit.  The other option would be to have the Throne or maybe each of the Major houses issue their own currency, but then that brings things back to a modern Wealth based economics, as well as exchange rates and such, which I dont know enough about Economics to do well.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2012, 04:30:37 AM »
So what characters will you create to play in this cool world? And i love darwinianly. It is my new fav word of the week. Off topic, i've been playing scrable online with my kids. An amazing number of scifi terms are not 'legit such as fae. The game is rigged!
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2012, 01:58:14 PM »
So what characters will you create to play in this cool world? And i love darwinianly. It is my new fav word of the week. Off topic, i've been playing scrable online with my kids. An amazing number of scifi terms are not 'legit such as fae. The game is rigged!

Well, the MC is the crown Price and Heir to the Throne.  He will be traveling with a mentor/bodyguard character who is a master Martial Artist (need a better name for the One Circle...maybe the Terra Cotta, since it is the Earth circle, astrologically).  The Mentor is a Lost Star who was living on the streets as a boy when the King found and sponsored him.  Shortly they will be joined by a companion sidekick sort, a lowborn who is training to be a Fire Elementalist.  There will also be a scion of a rival house, an arrogant Mind Mage, who is being groomed as an alternate candidate for the Throne, should the Heir Fail or Fall.  The other house will be the polar opposite of the generally benevolent and progressively idealistic House the prince is from.

The story will follow the Prince as he sets out alone on his Pilgrimage to each of the 7 Circle's primary Temple.  He will start will a somewhat Naive outlook on the world, thanks to the sheltered upbringing of a Prince in the Capital.  As he travels he will be going through various disillusionments designed to contrast the difference between the Idealized system of the kingdom vs the practical implementation and its various interpretations by the different Major Houses.

<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2012, 09:32:20 PM »
I'll look forward to reading some of your chapters, when you're ready.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2012, 12:59:22 PM »
If and when they come to be.  :-) 

Be warned this is a story that I started in Highschool, wrote a prolouge for one night in College, and just dusted off after years of inactivity.  And its not my only project, or even my only writing project.  So there may not be anything solid very soon. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline The Corvidian

• Conversationalist
  • I like crows and ravens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2012, 10:10:21 PM »
In case of no monarch, have a "Council of Regents" who keep the government running until a new monarch is chosen.
Clarke's Third Law: Sufficently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Niven's Converse to Clarke's 3rd Law: Sufficently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2012, 01:38:44 PM »
In case of no monarch, have a "Council of Regents" who keep the government running until a new monarch is chosen.
Thats what Im pondering...  I already had a scene where the failing King activated a special artifact worn by the prince that was suppose to activate when the King dies and the rulership passes.  I had originally thought of it as simply an informational thing, basically just calling the Prince back and marking him as the designated heir.  However if I run with the idea that the king is a linchpin in a magical system that involves several magical Artifact with particular roles (the Crown, the Throne, the Heir's Pendant, the Seals of the Circle Leaders, etc) then it would have more to do with the role of the King being filled at all times.  After that the Circle leaders would be reposponsible for testing him before his Corronation to fully ratify his rule.  If he is found unable, they will then be free to choose one of the alternate candidated that the Major houses put forward as the next in line to face the same Trials.  Should they burn throught that one they will move on the the next in line and so on until they have a "worthy".  But the chain of Kings would remain unbroken, and full on wars for succession would not really work, or at least would threaten the defense system, and so would be viewed as genocidal.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline The Corvidian

• Conversationalist
  • I like crows and ravens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2012, 11:33:39 PM »
Thats what Im pondering...  I already had a scene where the failing King activated a special artifact worn by the prince that was suppose to activate when the King dies and the rulership passes.  I had originally thought of it as simply an informational thing, basically just calling the Prince back and marking him as the designated heir.  However if I run with the idea that the king is a linchpin in a magical system that involves several magical Artifact with particular roles (the Crown, the Throne, the Heir's Pendant, the Seals of the Circle Leaders, etc) then it would have more to do with the role of the King being filled at all times.  After that the Circle leaders would be reposponsible for testing him before his Corronation to fully ratify his rule.  If he is found unable, they will then be free to choose one of the alternate candidated that the Major houses put forward as the next in line to face the same Trials.  Should they burn throught that one they will move on the the next in line and so on until they have a "worthy".  But the chain of Kings would remain unbroken, and full on wars for succession would not really work, or at least would threaten the defense system, and so would be viewed as genocidal.

If you use the "Council of Regents" idea, you could also have it where they become the extreme candidates of last resort.
Clarke's Third Law: Sufficently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Niven's Converse to Clarke's 3rd Law: Sufficently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2012, 03:02:37 AM »
A gentle and general reminder... this thread has a heap ton of useful and interesting stuff, but just want to remind everyone we've got to remember not to go into any real-world value judgments on political systems.  Like "X is inherently dumb/evil/etc because YZ" or commentary on current politics. 

Offline arcanist

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2012, 01:26:33 AM »
a possible idea is having one school being able to summon the spirits of the dead, and having a council of fallen kings whose only job it is to choose [or if they screw up dethrone] the current king. of course seeing as the current council were all picked they'd all have qualities the older members of the council liked and when they joined the council they would pick those qualities in the new king. since they would be dead they'd be able to watch all possible candidates schooling and moral ability.

Another possible idea is to have a prerequisite of being able to rule a major territory is to rule the minor territory that your family has there seat in. so if a major house ruled the duchy of x but had there city in the barony of y, the ruler would be a duke while the heir would rule the barony with equal rank to all the other barons in the duchy. in a similar way the council of fallen kings would only pick those who have proven capable of rule, so the old king would have to give his chosen heir the chance to rule the duchy of his family seat. this rule shouldn't be set into the constitution or anything becuase if all the dukes were incompetent there'd have to be other options, but it should still be a common tradition.,

and of course the fallen kings would prefer there family, allowing dynasties, but those of fallen dynasties would be on the council, acting as a limiting factor.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2012, 02:16:08 AM »
That's a really neat idea.  Although now my head's spinning off in the direction of ghosts teaching history...  "And now, class, please welcome Socrates, Abraham Lincoln, and Winston Churchill..."

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2012, 06:38:28 PM »
That's a really neat idea.  Although now my head's spinning off in the direction of ghosts teaching history...  "And now, class, please welcome Socrates, Abraham Lincoln, and Winston Churchill..."

A bit Bill and Ted, no ?
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2012, 07:14:19 PM »
A bit Bill and Ted, no ?

More like a bit Stranger in a Strange Land.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Figging Mint

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2012, 07:41:02 PM »
So this is something Ive been kicking around for a while.  I want to make a Monarchy that works for the long haul, one that has checks and balances to avoid the typical pitfalls.  I like the monarchy idea in the sense that a single person who is trained and molded from birth to be a Leader could potentially be far better prepared to actually Lead a nation than any ladder climbing elected official you could find. 

Until I read your last post, I was somewhat surprised that in a high fantasy setting you do not have a magical framework for the concept of monarch itself;  it would seem to me that any testing by a Council of Regents (or a body of prince-electors maybe?)  would also have to be synched to that magical framework.    Unless you are setting up a 'magical fit vs. merit fit' type of scenario?   Like throwing Her Majesty's Wizard into a blender with Difference Engine?

A bit Bill and Ted, no ?

I was thinking Lexx with a glaze of La nuit de Varennes.