Author Topic: Advice from the greenest writer on the boards!  (Read 2094 times)

Offline Madd

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Advice from the greenest writer on the boards!
« on: May 11, 2012, 03:41:58 PM »
Never stop reading!  I have not been able to sit and really enjoy a good book for two years now, and as a result my ability to form my own plot lines and characters had completely stagnated!  I turned in my last final on Tuesday, and picked up a book on Weds to reward myself.  For the first time in years, I found myself tearing along on a rip roaring ride of fun and adventure, truly pulled into the plot and really enjoying myself.

Whats even better is that it completely kickstarted my lethargic brain into "inspiration mode," and I have been furiously writing down notes since then.

I never really understood the importance of others' work upon my own imagination, but this past week has made me truly appreciate the authors I love (JB of course being among them).  A big thank you to all of my favorite authors, and the people of this board for providing me with inspiration and direction on this ridiculously long trek towards completing my first story.

Wow, that made it sound like I'm finished.  That would be nice.  I'm still in the "outline" stage, as well as character development.  I DO have the major plots, settings and magical mechanics/terminology worked out though!

cenwolfgirl

Re: Advice from the greenest writer on the boards!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 03:43:40 PM »
oh reading don't give me any more excuse but thank you
(as a green writer all advice is welcome)  ;D

Offline Madd

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 05:49:51 PM »
oh reading don't give me any more excuse but thank you
(as a green writer all advice is welcome)  ;D

Yeah, I thought it would take death to part me from my one true hobby, but all it took was stress.  Lots and lots of stress.

Sure, I've read some books in the past couple years, but not how I used to.  Not experiencing what the characters do, not seeing the scene as you might view a movie, and not feeling what the author is trying to import.  It stopped being fun, because I was always distracted and could never focus on the story at hand.

Masters is over with, and my first act as a former college student is to reread the 3-4 novels that I only gave lip service to over the past couple of years, starting with TDF's Ghost Story.

I love reading, and not even blindness could part me from it ever again.  So much depression and anxiety melted away when I picked this up to reread it....

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 01:34:12 AM »
Yeah, I thought it would take death to part me from my one true hobby, but all it took was stress.  Lots and lots of stress.

Sure, I've read some books in the past couple years, but not how I used to.  Not experiencing what the characters do, not seeing the scene as you might view a movie, and not feeling what the author is trying to import.  It stopped being fun, because I was always distracted and could never focus on the story at hand.

Masters is over with, and my first act as a former college student is to reread the 3-4 novels that I only gave lip service to over the past couple of years, starting with TDF's Ghost Story.

I love reading, and not even blindness could part me from it ever again.  So much depression and anxiety melted away when I picked this up to reread it....

My advice.  Moderation in all things, including... 'moderation'!

You have to have time to pick your head up and see what others are doing.  Just don't let it pull you away from your own dreams.  I estimate its more than 24 times as harder to write than it is to read.  A book is 120K.  On my best days I can crank out a consistent 5k.  And that doesn't even count the time spend editing!  It needs to be readable by others after all.

As long as you don't let yourself get seduced by 24x's the fun.  Reading is a great way to help grow your imagination for your writing.

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline Madd

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 04:40:58 PM »

My advice.  Moderation in all things, including... 'moderation'!

You have to have time to pick your head up and see what others are doing.  Just don't let it pull you away from your own dreams.  I estimate its more than 24 times as harder to write than it is to read.  A book is 120K.  On my best days I can crank out a consistent 5k.  And that doesn't even count the time spend editing!  It needs to be readable by others after all.

As long as you don't let yourself get seduced by 24x's the fun.  Reading is a great way to help grow your imagination for your writing.

The Deposed King

You can crank out 5k after a full day at work?  You are a machine man.  I'm happy trickling in my 500-1k words a few times a week  :(

At this rate I'll churn out one story per decade.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 04:52:34 PM »
oh i am luky to hit that too at the moment its anoying but when i right some times i can do like to day 800 words nearly but then i wont write for two weeks proberly as life will get in the way