Author Topic: Deciding on a Story?  (Read 3708 times)

Offline Dresdenus Prime

• Conversationalist
  • More than meets the Wizards Sight
    • View Profile
Deciding on a Story?
« on: May 06, 2012, 03:17:41 PM »
Okay, so I have multiple story ideas, but there are two that I'm having difficulty deciding on. Both are first person POV, UF Genre. The one I began writing about a year ago, and to this day I have close to 76,000 words of a rough draft. This is a story I really like, and I even have enough data to turn it into a multiple book series. My issue is, I'm worried about two things:

1. There's not enough back story - Since we're on the JB boards, I'll use the Dresden Files as an example. I'm not beginning this story like Storm Front, well into Harry's wizarding life. I mean by SF,
(click to show/hide)
and so on. My book is essentially JB writing his first Harry Dresden novel at the point where
(click to show/hide)

2. The main character isn't conflicted or complex enough. Me being a first time writer, I'm not exactly sure how complex or conflicted the main character should be? He's essentially just an average joe at the moment. For the most part he's satisfied with his life. When he's told he's special and may have powers he's excited. Now at the same time he does have terrible nightmares, and his mother is somewhat wacky, but I'm concerned that's just not enough to make the reader want to care about him.

Now, here's the kicker - My other idea in my opinion doesn't have these problems. The main character has problems, and throughout the first book he learns how to cope with them. He's been through things, lost loved ones, and more. He knows a lot more about the supernatural world. Also, the world has more of a back story. Where as in my other book, hell is breaking loose in THAT book, in this book, hell's been there and left, and now it's all about adapting and surviving. My plot isn't as fleshed out as my other book, but that comes with the writing.

So, one book over half done, but with no back bone, or a brand new book, with some meat. My wife is losing faith in my passion for writing I think because I am willing to move away from a book I worked so long on, but at the same time I want my book to be something I can be proud of and friends and others can enjoy reading.

The way I see it, I have three options -
1. Work through the blocks and the muck and fix any problems or dull areas in my first book until I'm satisfied with it.
2. In order to ensure my original writing project has enough complexity and back story, take my idea for book 2 (same series as book 1), and make that book 1, essentially using everything I've written for book 1 as a history lesson.
3. Move along and start writing the new book.

I come to you, would-be-writers and successful writers. I'm not asking you to choose for me, but any advice, opinions, or general chatter that may prove helpful would be awesomesauce, and greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 01:58:45 PM by Dresdenus Prime »
DV Dresdenus Prime v1.2 YR6 FR(M)1 BK+ RP- JB TH++ WGH CL- SW+ BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++++ Murphy- Elaine-- Mab+++++)

cenwolfgirl

Re: How Do You Decide on a Story?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 03:26:03 PM »
wow now you have given me a block
i read your post thinking i know what i would do
i stick with one story till i finesh it and fix the stuff that needs fixing latter and see what happens
but its a good question and i think you should lisson to what others have to say as well as i am shore there are more people with more exprence then me who will have much better advice
good luck

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Re: Deciding on a Story?
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 02:06:10 AM »
There is absolutely nothing wrong with putting down a story that has serious (in your opinion) flaws in order to work on something you think is better; ideally, doing the better thing will help you learn how to fix the other story when you come back to it at a later date.

That said, starting at the beginning is kind of a traditional way to do things - and the epic fantasy tradition of farmboy leaving small village to save the world tends to start before or with the training or learning about being anything special, and that kind of story sells.  And starting there will start with less conflict than dropping into the middle of things, but you can bring the conflict in along with the learning - whoever's teaching your central character can brief them about whatever the conflicts are in that world that gets into by virtue of having that power, no ?  Or if there's no teacher, the conflict could seek him out because he has the power - again like in the DF, Justin seeking Harry out in order to train him to the dark side.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline MClark

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 04:08:33 PM »
Hi,

I'm in favor of finishing the story you have half written. Its Robert Heinlein's 2nd rule of writing : "You must finish what you write." I believe the writingexcuses.com people -or at least one of them- are in favor of finishing what you write also.

If you're stuck on the training montage because its dull, just write it as best you can. Write the info dump if you have to and keep going. Maybe you'll figure out a way to chop them up into more palatable bits later.

Maybe the book needs a stronger villain to come in and stab the hero in the face to help get things moving.

Or another trainee character for the hero to interact with and this character could later become a Ron Weasley, Hawk (from the mundane mystery Spenser novels), or the Moriarity ANother trainee gives him somebody to talk to and might make the infodumps less infodump-y.

Average joes are really hard to write. Richard Sharpe is very strong and good shot. Horatio Hornblower is good at math, Honor Harrington has a treecat, Give him some cool skill, like a knack for quidditch, or he was a knowledge of poetry (OK, yeah, I'm reading Spenser novels now) and that helps him (or hinders him) in training.

If you don't like how it turns out, set it aside and return to it later.

OTOH, authors have been know to set aside a work that isn't progressing, so your call, of course.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 04:12:12 PM »
to day i started a compleatly diffrent story because i have been writing in one world for nearly two years strat with the same chrs and i dicided i need to do somthing new once more i proberly wont keep it but playing with new charictors is quite fun
as they say a chang can be as good as a rest
i will go back to the stories in the other univers latter i am shore

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 04:54:04 PM »
I'm in favor of finishing the story you have half written. Its Robert Heinlein's 2nd rule of writing : "You must finish what you write." I believe the writingexcuses.com people -or at least one of them- are in favor of finishing what you write also.

You have to finish stories, definitely, but you don't have to finish every story you start; there can definitely be better uses for your time. Some stories are nurse logs; and if a story is going to be one, it probably saves time to recognise that early.

Oh, and wrt Heinlein's rules for writing, the recent biography makes it abundantly clear that the way he was actually writing at the time involved blithe disregard for the guidelines he spouted, particularly in re rewriting, so they may want taking with a grain of salt.

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline MClark

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 07:12:43 PM »
You have to finish stories, definitely, but you don't have to finish every story you start; there can definitely be better uses for your time. Some stories are nurse logs; and if a story is going to be one, it probably saves time to recognise that early.

Oh, and wrt Heinlein's rules for writing, the recent biography makes it abundantly clear that the way he was actually writing at the time involved blithe disregard for the guidelines he spouted, particularly in re rewriting, so they may want taking with a grain of salt.

Yes, I know RAH's Rule 3 has to be taken with a grain of salt.

What does the recent biography say about Heinlein's writing habits? I assumed he was so bad ass ( he could get it right on the 2nd or 3rd pass, and Rule 3 was more for people who

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 07:37:46 PM »
What does the recent biography say about Heinlein's writing habits? I assumed he was so bad ass ( he could get it right on the 2nd or 3rd pass, and Rule 3 was more for people who

He was rewriting with some regularity while claiming one should never rewrite.

Offline MClark

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 10:08:13 PM »
Hmm, my last post got submitted while I was writing it, not quite sure how. I do remember some issues with the caps lock, so maybe I hit the wrong key.

I assume Rule 3 had to be taken more metaphorically, as in an author may never quite be totally satisfied with a work, but has to stop at some point and send it in. I quickly learned I could never follow it literally.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 01:12:00 AM »
I've said this before and I'll say it again - it's whatever works for you.
Some writers have everything all planned out - others have only the vaguest idea of
where they're going.  Some start at the beginning and go onto the end and others
jump around.  Again - it's what ever you're comfortable with.
Putting down something you're stuck on and working on something else is perfectly fine in my
books.  Gives you a chance to sneak around the backside of the writing block.
Wishing you luck.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 07:22:59 PM »
1. who?
2. if you have dislexia and are new at writing/come up with intresting spellings you often have to rewrite bits or it makes no sense at all
or am i the only one with that problem?

Offline Naomi

• Participant
  • Wait ... what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 01:45:11 PM »
My issue is, I'm worried about two things:

1. There's not enough back story - Since we're on the JB boards, I'll use the Dresden Files as an example. My book is essentially JB writing his first Harry Dresden novel at the point where
(click to show/hide)

2. The main character isn't conflicted or complex enough. Me being a first time writer, I'm not exactly sure how complex or conflicted the main character should be? He's essentially just an average joe at the moment. For the most part he's satisfied with his life.
I think answering #2 will fulfill #1.  I love characters that are "average joes" who have to face fantastical, and dire, situations.  I immediately relate to "average joes" on some level.  Using Dresden as an example, he is a powerful wizard, facing incredible obstacles.  But, he has to concern himself with the mundane -- like rent, and earning money for food.  Touches like how Harry assesses his appearance makes him easy for me to connect with.  Your character can be satisfied with his life -- for a few pages.  Then, kick him out of his comfort zone with problems.  I think characters who are scrabbling to get to, or back to, their perceived comfort zones are usually engrossing.  I think this helps in making them interesting.  Then, readers also get to see the impact the struggles have on the character.

I think this leads to an answer for #1.  Readers will learn about your character's back story as they see how he addresses these problems.  One's past heavily influences how one reacts to problems.  Even if your character hasn't dealt with any major problems in the past can be used to generate interest in, and empathy for, him.  The character will have to change, or be overwhelmed in facing the newly surfaced problems.
I'm too young for senior discounts, but old enough to be thrilled when I get carded.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 01:47:12 PM »
okay not shore where to put this or if it belongs in a diffrent thread but
i have put down a book i was writing for about two moneth and want to pick it up again but can not seem to get started
i started trying to get started on this book at about 11 this morning and its now 15 in the after noon and i have yet to write a singal word
the anoying thing is i knew what i wanted to write and had a good idea what was going to happen but RL got in the way and now i am stuck

dose any one have any idea how i can solve this problem ?

Offline Zuriel

• Conversationalist
  • It is what it is
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 02:13:44 PM »
okay not shore where to put this or if it belongs in a diffrent thread but
i have put down a book i was writing for about two moneth and want to pick it up again but can not seem to get started
i started trying to get started on this book at about 11 this morning and its now 15 in the after noon and i have yet to write a singal word
the anoying thing is i knew what i wanted to write and had a good idea what was going to happen but RL got in the way and now i am stuck

dose any one have any idea how i can solve this problem ?

Hi cen!
When I find myself stuck like this, the only thing I can do is walk away from the story.  I can't force what isn't there, so if I'm not exactly inspired at the moment - even though I have a great idea - and the words just won't come, there's no use staring at a blank screen.  I go work on something else, maybe another story, and at some point, days later sometimes, I get all jazzed about it again, thoughts start to flow and I go back and work on it.  If I try too hard, it never works.  What I try to write never feels right, and I end up with a scene I have to re-write anyway.

So I don't think there's an easy answer for this.  But go with the flow, I always say, and if it's not there, move on until it is.  It will come back to you, just maybe not when you expect it.  That's how it is for me.
"I exist, therefore, I obsess."

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2012, 02:19:36 PM »
i thought that would be what some one would say i was hopping for there to be a diffrent solution
it is rely anoying me as i finerly have tome to write and i sit down and bame all the things i thought would make grate ideas for this story all the things i wanted to write wile RL has been keeping me away from the story and just gone
oh well i will have to give it a rest for to day and see what tomorow brings i guess
and find some antyhistamine before my alagies kill me
stupid pollen count

thank you even though i don't like the awnser at least i know that there is nothing i can do about it  ;D