Poll

Click if you think the statement to be true. Plz read the OP first (you can change your vote anyway).

The BC was trying to turn Molly.
32 (23.9%)
Mab never intended Harry to pour summer fire in the well.
47 (35.1%)
The BC attacked Artis Tor to save mad Lea.
20 (14.9%)
The scarecrow is boosted by Outsider power.
18 (13.4%)
Mab made a deal with the BC.
17 (12.7%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Author Topic: PG: combining Neurovore and Knnn.  (Read 37337 times)

Offline BlahBlah

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: PG: combining Neurovore and Knnn.
« Reply #120 on: May 08, 2012, 01:59:48 PM »
Which is another supplementary reason to believe the Scarecrow is working at cross-purposes to Mab.
Not really.  She did the same thing with the hobs in SmF.
Quote from: Griffyn612
My guesses are not educated, thank you.  >:( 

They're Logic School drop-outs, just hanging out in the rough parts of the boards, looking for trouble.  They look tough, but run at the first sign of reasoning or intellectual thought 8)

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 08, 2012, 02:11:33 PM »
Not really.  She did the same thing with the hobs in SmF.

well actually, with the calvin and hobbs.

;D
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 08, 2012, 02:28:08 PM »
well actually, with the calvin and hobbs.

;D

You do realize how beneath Mab that is, to KNOW about the comic strip book, and to go out and get one, and then leave it in the basement?

TTH could have put it there in PG, knowing he wouldn't find it until SmF, and helping his subconscious out with the Hobbs/hobs thing.  Just saying...  ;)

Offline Elegast

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 08, 2012, 02:40:22 PM »
You do realize how beneath Mab that is, to KNOW about the comic strip book, and to go out and get one, and then leave it in the basement?

Unless the comic was inspired by Lea. Remember that Mab was acting as a proxy.
My "Maeve came to Splattercon!!! disguised as a vampire" theory : Maeve did it

All the theories on the Dresden Files

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 08, 2012, 02:48:40 PM »

TTH could have put it there in PG, knowing he wouldn't find it until SmF, and helping his subconscious out with the Hobbs/hobs thing.  Just saying...  ;)

i think mab has a silly sick sense of humor. as a being with intelelctus, fo course she would know about a comic strip that involves snow goons, magical transformations, and a theme of leaving humanity behind to spend forever in a magical winter wonderland :)
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 08, 2012, 02:54:54 PM »
i think mab has a silly sick sense of humor. as a being with intelelctus, fo course she would know about a comic strip that involves snow goons, magical transformations, and a theme of leaving humanity behind to spend forever in a magical winter wonderland :)

Do we know for sure she actually has full-blown Intellectus?  In TC, Harry speculates that Mother Summer and Mother Winter have it, but says nothing about Mab/Titania.

DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 08, 2012, 03:00:50 PM »
Do we know for sure she actually has full-blown Intellectus?  In TC, Harry speculates that Mother Summer and Mother Winter have it, but says nothing about Mab/Titania.

id say we can conclude she has something close, even if not full out. she speaks in the future tense, and in broad statements that so far have been pretty darn correct. she probably does not allways undersatnd what she sees, as far as humanity goes, but shes seeing truth.

ever read lord foul's bane? lord foul was seer, and could forsee the future, the past, and the present, but since he was not a prophet he could not interpret his visions corectly. I think that's what mab is- seer but not prophet. thats why she knows so much but her understanding is incomplete.

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 08, 2012, 03:27:59 PM »
id say we can conclude she has something close, even if not full out. she speaks in the future tense, and in broad statements that so far have been pretty darn correct. she probably does not allways undersatnd what she sees, as far as humanity goes, but shes seeing truth.

My read on her has always been that she was scary smart and had a lot of sources of information, allowing her to predict certain future events with great certainty (like a huge, cosmic chessboard), but no actual "see the future" powers.

I'm not exactly sure what the practical ramifications of this distinction are, but I'm pretty sure they exist.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 08, 2012, 03:32:11 PM »
My read on her has always been that she was scary smart and had a lot of sources of information, allowing her to predict certain future events with great certainty (like a huge, cosmic chessboard), but no actual "see the future" powers.

I'm not exactly sure what the practical ramifications of this distinction are, but I'm pretty sure they exist.

either you have a person with complete information but incomplete undersatnding, or a person with incomplete information but more complete understanding; the end result is, errors can be made. I think woj backs the incomplete understanding pov, but its just my incomplete undersatnding.   ;D

Offline BlahBlah

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 08, 2012, 05:46:29 PM »
I tend to think of Mab as on par with Uriel, and think of Uriel as a four-dimensional being unconstrained (or less constrained) by time.  He (and she) can see past present and future at the same moment, and so can control the flow of events with a precision that is impossible for mere three-dimensional mortals.

It's a coherent way to justify projecting complex plans into the chaos of PG.  It is consistent with Uriel's known interventions in SmF and his suspected interventions in other books, as well as Mab's admiration for his methods
Quote from: Griffyn612
My guesses are not educated, thank you.  >:( 

They're Logic School drop-outs, just hanging out in the rough parts of the boards, looking for trouble.  They look tough, but run at the first sign of reasoning or intellectual thought 8)

Offline asetti

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 08, 2012, 06:53:21 PM »

How would she not know about Calvin and Hobbes!  Who do you think the author sold his soul to for such awesomeness! :-)
The death rate is the same for us as for anybody ... one person, one death, sooner or later.
Tunnel in the Sky (1955), Captain Helen Walker, Ch. 2

Offline Vairelome

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 08, 2012, 08:23:35 PM »
I tend to think of Mab as on par with Uriel, and think of Uriel as a four-dimensional being unconstrained (or less constrained) by time.  He (and she) can see past present and future at the same moment, and so can control the flow of events with a precision that is impossible for mere three-dimensional mortals.

It's a coherent way to justify projecting complex plans into the chaos of PG.  It is consistent with Uriel's known interventions in SmF and his suspected interventions in other books, as well as Mab's admiration for his methods

Mab is nowhere near Uriel's power level.  Uriel has full Intellectus (which by definition includes the power to understand what you know) and was described by JB as "an Executive VP of Creation."  It would be a stretch to put Mother Summer and Mother Winter in Uriel's ballpark, and they are both clearly more potent than Mab.

Mab cannot have any sort of general form of Intellectus and simultaneously be unable to lie.  For example, when Marcone gets snatched by the Denarians and Harry asks Mab who took him, she responds, "I don't know."  It's possible for that to be a true statement (in a twisty Sidhe sense) if she believes she has partial knowledge; it is not possible for that to be a true statement from a being with Intellectus.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 08, 2012, 09:22:19 PM »
Mab is nowhere near Uriel's power level.  Uriel has full Intellectus (which by definition includes the power to understand what you know) and was described by JB as "an Executive VP of Creation."  It would be a stretch to put Mother Summer and Mother Winter in Uriel's ballpark, and they are both clearly more potent than Mab.

Mab cannot have any sort of general form of Intellectus and simultaneously be unable to lie.  For example, when Marcone gets snatched by the Denarians and Harry asks Mab who took him, she responds, "I don't know."  It's possible for that to be a true statement (in a twisty Sidhe sense) if she believes she has partial knowledge; it is not possible for that to be a true statement from a being with Intellectus.

I thought there was a comparison for the DFRPG (which I haven't read nor really kept up with), and it put the Mothers up around the Archangels.  I think the Mothers are uber-powerful, but so restricted that they can't do anything other than cancel each other out.

I don't think Mab has full Intellectus.  She's too mortal for it.  But if the naagloshii has a form of Intellectus for cruelty and pain, then Mab might have a similar Intellectus for her areas of expertise.  Which wouldn't be that far off from the naagloshii's, now that I think about it.  And I wouldn't doubt that Mab has a form of bond to Arctis Tor, like that of sanctum invocation.  That would give her a form of Intellectus for Winter subjects and places.  And would also provide a spirit connection to the place, explaining why after the assault on Arctis Tor, she was 'injured'.

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 08, 2012, 11:57:58 PM »
That and just because one being has intellectus does not mean that its impossible for annother being to jam it. And i beleiev mabs abilities are flawed in some way.. They are not complete, or she doesnt have the wisdom to fully understand what she sees

Offline Thork

• Conversationalist
  • "I put on my robe and wizard hat."
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 09, 2012, 02:37:27 AM »
There are things we know the Fae don't clearly understand. For example, I doubt Mab has all that great an understanding of Summer, possibly including things like "summer emotions" of joy, hope, etc.

I expect that's part of why Mab can't quite predict Harry -- she can't quite "get" a lot of human emotions, just like Bob has a hard time understanding the concepts of Good and Evil.
"Harry Dresden decides this is really all too much work, and wanders off to get himself something to drink. He gets beaten up seventeen times on his way, but saves two orphanages."
----------
http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/884/Suvudu-Cage-Match-How-It-REALLY-Went-Down