Author Topic: Induction into a hidden society  (Read 5065 times)

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Induction into a hidden society
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 02:16:01 AM »
the dreaded info dumps are to be avoided if at all humanly possible.

the Deposed King

I had a hard time dancing around how to avoid one of those.  Ended up using a briefing, because in that setting that's exactly how the information would have realistically been disseminated to the other characters.  Plus it gave me a chance to work in their voices and personalities, concerns and issues.  But it's not something that'll work in every setting or be used too frequently.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 03:02:29 AM »
I had a hard time dancing around how to avoid one of those.  Ended up using a briefing, because in that setting that's exactly how the information would have realistically been disseminated to the other characters.  Plus it gave me a chance to work in their voices and personalities, concerns and issues.  But it's not something that'll work in every setting or be used too frequently.

I'm finding the great thing about a first-person narrator who is explicitly writing this stuff down is that a) she's keen to fill in the explanations and b) I can get a bunch of characterisation and worldbuilding in by the things she skips over as obvious to her, and the things she explains as totally weird to her and her assumed audience that a present-day reader will not think are weird at all.  If anything, I'm having to restrain her a bit on that, but she can usually be diverted into how nowhere she goes ever makes a decent cup of coffee.  (In the place she's in now, she complains that they serve it bitter, uncarbonated, and worst of all, hot.  I think that sets up what her default expectation actually is better than pausing for three paragraphs to fill in the preceding 2300 years' history of coffee-drinking.)

Some bits of first-person stuff with the right narrator are so much easier than third person I'm surprised it's legal.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2012, 03:05:19 AM »
I did one story - and I need to find it again.  Hopefully it didn't get thrown out
in the great move - where the protagonist is a news reporter - so the story is told from
her rather dry point of view and an info dump is, in essence, part of what she does.
Though I try not to do big info dumps.  They'll just bore the socks off your readers.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2012, 03:12:49 AM »
I'm finding the great thing about a first-person narrator who is explicitly writing this stuff down is that a) she's keen to fill in the explanations and b) I can get a bunch of characterisation and worldbuilding in by the things she skips over as obvious to her, and the things she explains as totally weird to her and her assumed audience that a present-day reader will not think are weird at all.  If anything, I'm having to restrain her a bit on that, but she can usually be diverted into how nowhere she goes ever makes a decent cup of coffee.  (In the place she's in now, she complains that they serve it bitter, uncarbonated, and worst of all, hot.  I think that sets up what her default expectation actually is better than pausing for three paragraphs to fill in the preceding 2300 years' history of coffee-drinking.)

Some bits of first-person stuff with the right narrator are so much easier than third person I'm surprised it's legal.

I can imagine.  Haven't worked my way up to first person yet though.  I'm still in the "learning exercise" part of the process.  One thing I am having a great deal of fun doing is matching the language I use in the descriptions and such to the specific character who's the focus of the scene at the time, which seems to be an interesting method of demonstrating how they perceive and process things compared to other characters. 

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2012, 07:39:01 AM »
I can imagine.  Haven't worked my way up to first person yet though.  I'm still in the "learning exercise" part of the process.  One thing I am having a great deal of fun doing is matching the language I use in the descriptions and such to the specific character who's the focus of the scene at the time, which seems to be an interesting method of demonstrating how they perceive and process things compared to other characters.

Well I don't know that first person is increadibly hard.  You just have to be a little in the guy/gal's head as you go along.  For instance, with my Admiral Who, I just filtered most new experiences through Jason's paranoia or in some cases his feelings of superiority or inadequacy.  Essentially he was always scheming.

You just have to remember to always be digressing after the dialogue, but at the same time it also has to be very much connected or else you wander too off the reservation.

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2012, 07:51:42 AM »
ah i am curently trying first person it sorta is okay most of the time

Offline Lord Rae

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 03:45:44 AM »
Thanks for the discussion. Totally got me over the hurtle and I'm pushing along again. :)

Offline Madd

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 03:57:35 AM »
I had a similar issue.  My solution was to take the "need-to-know" approach, and slowly let the character in to see the pieces pertaining to him and his problem (or her and her problem, depending on which story I'm working on.)

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 05:26:38 PM »
Thanks for the discussion. Totally got me over the hurtle and I'm pushing along again. :)

that is good
I like that feeling
speaking of i am going to go write now as i don't have to do anything ells till after tea  ;D

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2012, 06:38:43 PM »
I am a fan of developmental Milestones.  You structure the secret society in levels, and each level has a trial/test/moral that must be learned and overcome before the next level can be attempted.  It would provide Ranks, a reason to dole out information in several smaller pieces, and draws the reader in more because they are, in theory, working toward a realization along with your character, rather than just having information thrown at them.

<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Enchantedwater

• Needs A Life
  • The Wat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2012, 08:22:41 PM »
That is really tough. I am struggling with that one also. I say break it up and try and do a few 'time warps.' Tell it in flash backs, memories, or  like it is stuff the charater already knows because he is in the future. Hmmmmm. Not explaining right.....

Induction
First Glimps
Flash Forward a few weeks/ days/ months
Flash Backs As Nessisary

Use conversations between people so readers can glean information. You don't need to say everything upfront.
"It was all like BAM! What now sucka!? Bring on your silly retinas, I got tricks!" - Wat 8)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2012, 10:14:38 PM »
That is really tough. I am struggling with that one also. I say break it up and try and do a few 'time warps.' Tell it in flash backs, memories, or  like it is stuff the charater already knows because he is in the future. Hmmmmm. Not explaining right.....

Induction
First Glimps
Flash Forward a few weeks/ days/ months
Flash Backs As Nessisary

Use conversations between people so readers can glean information. You don't need to say everything upfront.

That can certainly work, but it an also be a nightmare to keep things straight doing that way; needs a fair bit of organising to make sure you don't lose track of your continuity.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Enchantedwater

• Needs A Life
  • The Wat
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2012, 02:53:05 AM »
Yep. That's what outlines are good for. It is still a headache though.
"It was all like BAM! What now sucka!? Bring on your silly retinas, I got tricks!" - Wat 8)

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2012, 06:27:32 AM »
Yep. That's what outlines are good for. It is still a headache though.

I tried to do a flashback scene, or reverse order something.  But when I went through and edited I just moved it back where it should have been chronologically.  I trimmed and puffed and pasted.

So I don't have the kind of helpful imput I would like.

best of luck!

Always follow the dream,

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)