Author Topic: WOJ: Hexenwufl solved  (Read 28106 times)

Offline Thork

• Conversationalist
  • "I put on my robe and wizard hat."
    • View Profile
Re: WOJ: Hexenwufl solved
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2012, 02:47:16 PM »
What makes you think that? Also, zombies in the Dresdenverse don't have independent thought like Cowl does.

Sorry, I meant that as a joke/silly theory. The joke would have been that Cowl was a blampire or something similar and acting as his own walking vessel of necromantic energy. This theory doesn't actually work because Cowl draws on life magic just like Harry, and if he were a blampire he couldn't do that.
"Harry Dresden decides this is really all too much work, and wanders off to get himself something to drink. He gets beaten up seventeen times on his way, but saves two orphanages."
----------
http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/884/Suvudu-Cage-Match-How-It-REALLY-Went-Down

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2012, 06:49:02 PM »
Sorry, I meant that as a joke/silly theory. The joke would have been that Cowl was a blampire or something similar and acting as his own walking vessel of necromantic energy. This theory doesn't actually work because Cowl draws on life magic just like Harry, and if he were a blampire he couldn't do that.

which is why quacky folks sepculate he is a deep one/ fomor. They had notable wizards in lovecraft, and can often pass for humans.
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline Phariah

• Posty McPostington
  • When you hear hoof beats think horses not zebras.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2012, 07:48:45 PM »
well i have always thought that the 3 Kemmlerites all specialized in differing areas of Necro magic. Grevane animation of zombies and physical dead, CT mind magic/ spirits/ ghosts, Cowl i am thinking pure Necro magic/ Black magic to power himself ( sort of like the necro magic EBob released into Dresden ). i mean Kumori was never drumming anything and never really used magic much. suppose he concentrated necro magic around her to act as his necro shield to get through the area.

Harry senses a taint when they first met, than when Cowl escapes by the book store Harry senses an increase in dark magic. that was making a gateway. suppose his specialty was summonings like that of demons and Outsiders?
Duty is as heavy as a mountain
  Death is as light as a feather

DV Phariah V1.2 YR 2 FR0.5 BK+++RP JB- TH WG+++ CL SW BC+ MC--- SH[Murphy++, Lara+]

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2012, 07:55:32 PM »
which is why quacky folks sepculate he is a deep one/ fomor. They had notable wizards in lovecraft, and can often pass for humans.

I thought Gard's description of Fomor magic in "Even Hand" made it sound quite unlike human magic, though; much more chaotic, and not something Harry would likely mistake for such.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Thork

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2012, 07:56:02 PM »

Yeah I think there's strong odds that he's fomor, or more specifically, a human with heavy Fomor modifications -- he draws on magic that's definitely human, BUT we keep seeing mentions of "mildew" and similar things around his magic, and he keeps impressing Harry as human-but-not-quite-human.
"Harry Dresden decides this is really all too much work, and wanders off to get himself something to drink. He gets beaten up seventeen times on his way, but saves two orphanages."
----------
http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/884/Suvudu-Cage-Match-How-It-REALLY-Went-Down

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2012, 08:05:00 PM »
BUT we keep seeing mentions of "mildew" and similar things around his magic

I think that's a clue as to where he hangs out, not what/who he is.  or at least, the mildew reference i remember around Cowl is when he and Kumori disappear when faced by the Alphas in DB (and we can be pretty sure that's not a veil because of Bob's explanation of how invisibility is useless against wolves in FM, so it kind of must be an escape to the NN), and I think what that's meant to connect up with is the description of the place Peabody runs to at the end of TC.

and he keeps impressing Harry as human-but-not-quite-human.

I'm not recalling that off the top of my head, other than his voice sounding not particularly human, which I tend to read as part of his disguise.  I don't think Harry has that reaction to his magic anywhere, anyway. Am I forgetting something ?

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline unsurmountable

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2012, 08:07:26 PM »
i think Ms. Duck's explanation makes the most sense.  We have WoJ that Erlking is only one of several beings that can call the wild hunt.  Given that this is also true outside the dresdenverse (in early mythology) and that in early mythology Odin is one of those beings that can call the Hunt, it's reasonable to assume Odin has that same power in the dresdenverse.  Add to that Erl's comment that he messes with those who messes with his hunt and you have a reasonable cause for Erl to mess with Odin's plans, (i.e. Marcone).  Add to that Erl's domain is on the other side of the FBI building and you now have a pretty solid case for it being Erl.  Plus the magical item here turns people into one of the greatest hunters known to human kind, that right in line with the way Erl likes it.
DV Unsurmountable v1.0 YR3 FM1.5 BK++ RP JB TH+ WG+(++) CL++ SW BC MC+(++)(--) SH[Molly+++++, Elaine+++, Murphy++, Lara+, Maeve++++, !Mavra------] !Molly<->Mab--------- LC->FutureHarry+++++

Dresden Files Geek Code

Offline Phariah

• Posty McPostington
  • When you hear hoof beats think horses not zebras.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2012, 08:29:03 PM »
I think that's a clue as to where he hangs out, not what/who he is.  or at least, the mildew reference i remember around Cowl is when he and Kumori disappear when faced by the Alphas in DB (and we can be pretty sure that's not a veil because of Bob's explanation of how invisibility is useless against wolves in FM, so it kind of must be an escape to the NN), and I think what that's meant to connect up with is the description of the place Peabody runs to at the end of TC.

I'm not recalling that off the top of my head, other than his voice sounding not particularly human, which I tend to read as part of his disguise.  I don't think Harry has that reaction to his magic anywhere, anyway. Am I forgetting something ?
Neuro!!!!!   *hugz* woots i missed ya  ;D
Duty is as heavy as a mountain
  Death is as light as a feather

DV Phariah V1.2 YR 2 FR0.5 BK+++RP JB- TH WG+++ CL SW BC+ MC--- SH[Murphy++, Lara+]

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2012, 08:36:26 PM »
(and we can be pretty sure that's not a veil because of Bob's explanation of how invisibility is useless against wolves in FM, so it kind of must be an escape to the NN)
It could be a veil, just not one limited to sight. Just like Harry reformats his shield spell to cover different types of energy beyond kinetic, I don't see why a wizard of Cowl's caliber couldn't put up a veil to mask his scent and sound as well as sight.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2012, 08:39:40 PM »
It could be a veil, just not one limited to sight. Just like Harry reformats his shield spell to cover different types of energy beyond kinetic, I don't see why a wizard of Cowl's caliber couldn't put up a veil to mask his scent and sound as well as sight.

And bodyheat as well.  I suppose it's not impossible that Cowl is strong enough and skilled enough to do that, but it seems a very complex thing to do pretty much instantly, and I'm not seeing why the mildew smell would show up when a veil was cast but not be mentioned before, so I still find the "quick gate out" explanation more plausible; I also think some kind of really quick and sneaky gate out is pretty much necessary for Cowl to have survived the end of DB.

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2012, 08:40:33 PM »

its mentioned in changes that Molly improved her veils enough to hide from werwolves; in fact, she does so in GS at the scene with mort.

now, how she does this without breakign the third law is a much debated topic  ;D ;D ;D
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 01, 2012, 08:45:07 PM »
Oh, OK, I'd not remembered that bit. Suppose it could have been a veil after all.

Offline Thork

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2012, 10:06:43 PM »

The main reason I suspect Cowl is Fomor is actually that he says "Thrice I ask and Done" to Harry, and that's a Fae formulation. We know the Fomor have Fae traditions, so that coupled with the nonhuman voice, human magic, and mildew, all together make me think human with Fomor modifications. His extreme magical oomph is also an argument here -- he's stronger than Ebenezer, much less Harry, so he's likely done something dark to get that power.

I see what you're saying about how the mildew reference is possibly a clue as to where rather than what, but all the "mildew"-referenced portals are opening from and (and therefore into) dramatically different places -- either they're using a different kind of portal into the nevernever such that they can zap themselves over into a different nevernever, and that different nevernever smells musty and mildewed no matter where you go in it, OR they can open an Odin-style teleportation portal whenever they want to, OR there's something in Cowl's (and perhaps Peabody's) magic that's tainted, and that taint of mildew is expressed in the way they open portals.

Either way, I read the mildew/water/damp connection as a likely connection to the Fomor, mainly because if the Fomor haven't shown up at all prior to Aftermath, that's bad plotting on Butcher's part, and I don't see him doing that; villains that major must have been foreshadowed somewhere. Plus, having Cowl conceal his identity because he's Fomor (or fomor-modified human) is a nice twist on the "expected" reveal that if we see a disguised villain, he "must" be someone we've already seen.
----------

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 01, 2012, 10:37:19 PM »
The main reason I suspect Cowl is Fomor is actually that he says "Thrice I ask and Done" to Harry, and that's a Fae formulation.

I'm not sure it's significantly more a Fae formulation than wizards use in general, though, cf Harry setting three conditions on his agreement to become Winter Knight in Changes, or the questions he gets from Lea in GS.  (I kind of tend not to notice that as a Fae-specific thing because it's not exceedingly rare to find that sort of pattern in spoken English in Celtic countries, it was the sort of thing people around me when I was growing up might plausibly say.)

I see what you're saying about how the mildew reference is possibly a clue as to where rather than what, but all the "mildew"-referenced portals are opening from and (and therefore into) dramatically different places -- either they're using a different kind of portal into the nevernever such that they can zap themselves over into a different nevernever, and that different nevernever smells musty and mildewed no matter where you go in it, OR they can open an Odin-style teleportation portal whenever they want to, OR there's something in Cowl's (and perhaps Peabody's) magic that's tainted, and that taint of mildew is expressed in the way they open portals.

That argument seems to me to contain the assumption that Earthly geography maps consistently into the NN, and I think the evidence in the books argues otherwise; in GP Harry gets into Bianca's house from fairly close to where Michael and Thomas leave the NN, but they end up in a strip club because Thomas has an affinity for such places; in WN the two portals opened into the Deeps in the final battle lead to wildly different parts of the NN.

I think Cowl in DB and Peabody in WN are more likely aiming for the same general region of the NN, possibly very close together, but that they can get there from pretty much anywhere in Earth.

Either way, I read the mildew/water/damp connection as a likely connection to the Fomor, mainly because if the Fomor haven't shown up at all prior to Aftermath, that's bad plotting on Butcher's part, and I don't see him doing that; villains that major must have been foreshadowed somewhere.

I'm inclined to disagree here too, both because halfway through the series does not seem too late to be introducing major players to me, and because having Sidhe-type Faerie seems to me to automatically imply something Fomorian-like as part of the same mythos so they've been implicitly set up since GP; it's no more bad plotting to my mind than not introducing angels loyal to Heaven until halfway through the series if there were explicitly Christian-mythos fallen angels several books earlier.

Offline Thork

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 01, 2012, 11:16:24 PM »
I'm not sure it's significantly more a Fae formulation than wizards use in general, though, cf Harry setting three conditions on his agreement to become Winter Knight in Changes, or the questions he gets from Lea in GS.  (I kind of tend not to notice that as a Fae-specific thing because it's not exceedingly rare to find that sort of pattern in spoken English in Celtic countries, it was the sort of thing people around me when I was growing up might plausibly say.)

Yeah, but in both those circumstances Harry is speaking with the Fae and so consciously adopting their lingo -- it's not something Harry just does when he's talking to, say, Kincaid, or Ebenezer, or Mavra. So I think it's a tipoff. Is there anywhere else in the series where we get that formulation and there isn't a Fae in the conversation?

That argument seems to me to contain the assumption that Earthly geography maps consistently into the NN, and I think the evidence in the books argues otherwise; in GP Harry gets into Bianca's house from fairly close to where Michael and Thomas leave the NN, but they end up in a strip club because Thomas has an affinity for such places; in WN the two portals opened into the Deeps in the final battle lead to wildly different parts of the NN.

Yeah, that's the assumption, or at least one possible assumption. The way I've read the books so far, there is a 1:1 map between Dresden's Prime Material Plane and the NeverNever -- it's just that there's a wild variation over distance, i.e, even moving an inch in 'reality" might take you to a wildly different place in the NN. The main evidence for such a 1:1 map would seem to be the possibilty of guarding things from the NN side -- i.e., Lea's Garden, the Nazi Ghost Beach, etc. The other evidence would be the relative stability of Ways through the NeverNever -- You can't just wish up a spot near you that will take you to X place, you have to find a spot near you that opens up into a spot that's near the spot you want to get to in the NN, etc. Without some degree of stable correspondence and mapping, Harry's mother's amulet is an unnecessary waste -- you could just hop straight to wherever you wanted to go.

The way I read the passage with Thomas and Michael, they'd had to travel to a spot where there was a corresponding spot that Thomas had an affinity (the strip club). But I admit it's open to interpretation.

I'm inclined to disagree here too, both because halfway through the series does not seem too late to be introducing major players to me, and because having Sidhe-type Faerie seems to me to automatically imply something Fomorian-like as part of the same mythos so they've been implicitly set up since GP; it's no more bad plotting to my mind than not introducing angels loyal to Heaven until halfway through the series if there were explicitly Christian-mythos fallen angels several books earlier.

Fair point, but one that might seem stronger to someone raised in Celtic lore. For us ignorant Americans the Fomor are pretty darn esoteric -- most modern fantasy that talks about the Fae doesn't talk about the Fomor (Tolkien, Gaiman, Susannah Clarke, etc.).
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 11:34:22 PM by Thork »
----------