Author Topic: WOJ: Hexenwufl solved  (Read 28113 times)

Offline Scug

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: WOJ: Hexenwufl solved
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2012, 12:21:12 AM »
a quick note about cowl. We know that he used/uses necromancy not only from the dark stain harry feels, but because he was there at the darkhallow. remember that u had to be protected by necromancy magic in order to get close. Ramirez got there without using necromancy because he was riding Sue, which probably 'trailed' a huge necromancy wake, like a boat in the water. Its plausable that Cowl sneaked into the gathering, but he would have to be really really close to the other zombies. Maybe in the middle of a huge crowd of zombies would give him enough protection. But most likely not. Its most likely that he had his own 'field' of necro energy surrounding him.

Offline Apollishar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2012, 01:02:02 AM »
Or, you know, Cowl simply absorbed/created necromantic energy, or used it in a metyhod similar to what Kumori did to prolong that one guy's life. It's not simply a matter of "did he raise zombies or not".

Remember, Harry channeled a massive amount of earth energy in Changes, by tapping into a ley line. Cowl could've simply channeled through a necromantic leyline, and called it a day. Or he could've eaten some shades.

Just saying, its difficult to just automatically assume he used some necromancy

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2012, 01:06:56 AM »
the differnce is that Harry and Ramirez would ahve been killed the minute they enterred the darkhallow radius if they had not had a conection with Sue. Ergo, at least one of the zombies/ spectres on that field was cowl's and kumoris.
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline Apollishar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2012, 01:09:42 AM »
Unless he tapped it and held the latent energy within himself, much like Harry held in a lot of ambient magic in SmF

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2012, 01:19:36 AM »
Unless he tapped it and held the latent energy within himself, much like Harry held in a lot of ambient magic in SmF

enh. maybe. its a p[osibility, but woudl you do that and risk your life when its easier just to have one ghost hidden under your cloak?
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

Offline Cenphx

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2012, 01:21:36 AM »
If Rameriz was ok (even though he didnt use necromancy) because he was surrounded by the results of Harrys necromancy, couldnt Cowl have done the same? I.E. Been protected by Grevane and Corpsetakers necromancy? The spirits and zombies were all over the place at the center of the darkhallow.

Offline Apollishar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2012, 01:29:34 AM »
I'm working on the assumption that Cowl is as powerful and knowledgeable as Harry seems to think he is. If he did what I suggested, he would've known ahead of time that it would work.

But, as was just said, there's no reason he wouldn't be protected via the others' necromancy, given that we know magic lingers

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2012, 01:35:40 AM »
I just think he had a backup plan in case Harry and the wardens did not show; taking out grevane and doign the spell himself probably involved a few udnead of his own.  ;D

Offline Cenphx

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2012, 02:25:11 AM »
One other funny fact from Love Hurts..the RCV, who is trying, in part, to takeout the white court is named Baroness LeBlanc. Last name roughly translates as 'the white' in french.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2012, 02:43:36 AM »
enh. maybe. its a p[osibility, but woudl you do that and risk your life when its easier just to have one ghost hidden under your cloak?

Is that the best from the Duck?  I figured you would have preferred a theory that Kumori was Cowl's re-animated wizard thing.

" Erlking - possible; he may have made the belts, but I don't seem him giving them to Denton. Who else would he make them for, probably at Fae cost, who would then give them away to Denton for free?"
Ah.  But how do we know the FBI agents did not cut a deal with him for services or goods? 

My issue is with the Erlking directly dealing with Denton.  Denton and his team were obviously aware of the supernatural, but Denton probably wouldn't simply take something from the Erlking in his normal form.  And why would the Erlking want Marcone out of the way?  Remember, the agents were given the belts so that they could punish criminals that were untouchable.  What does the Erlking care about that?  And he probably wouldn't sick the agents on MacFinn, who is a great hunter.  Unless his plan was to have MacFinn's circle broken, so he was a loose hunter as opposed to a caged hunter.  But that all seems beneath someone like the Erlking.

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2012, 02:49:07 AM »
Is that the best from the Duck?  I figured you would have preferred a theory that Kumori was Cowl's re-animated wizard thing.

My issue is with the Erlking directly dealing with Denton.  Denton and his team were obviously aware of the supernatural, but Denton probably wouldn't simply take something from the Erlking in his normal form.  And why would the Erlking want Marcone out of the way?  Remember, the agents were given the belts so that they could punish criminals that were untouchable.  What does the Erlking care about that?  And he probably wouldn't sick the agents on MacFinn, who is a great hunter.  Unless his plan was to have MacFinn's circle broken, so he was a loose hunter as opposed to a caged hunter.  But that all seems beneath someone like the Erlking.

well if you want a duckyism: Sigurd Gard is a gaet, 'a scion of beowulf' as jim said; the original myth the nielblerung(sp, im not even gonna try) has her being the grandaughter of Odin and the jotun queen Gerda, goddess of winter, aka the queen of air and darkness.

Hmmmm....

and Hendricks has aneat, old sword, that the fomor recognized.

(maybe gram?)

EK is one of the poeple who can summon the wild hunt. so is Odin. the two liekly are not friends. EK says he messes with people who interfere with his hunts..

there ya go, ducky enough?

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2012, 04:19:38 AM »
Re: Cowl channeling necromantic energy, doesn't Box explicitly say that you need to be surrounded by the energy?  Bob could be wrong, or something, but just having that in you wouldn't count.  There must be something outside to cover and block/absorb it to work if Bob is right.

Though Cowl could maybe have made a necroshield around himself, I suppose.

Offline Thork

• Conversationalist
  • "I put on my robe and wizard hat."
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2012, 01:22:09 PM »
Re: Cowl channeling necromantic energy, doesn't Box explicitly say that you need to be surrounded by the energy?  Bob could be wrong, or something, but just having that in you wouldn't count.  There must be something outside to cover and block/absorb it to work if Bob is right.

Though Cowl could maybe have made a necroshield around himself, I suppose.

Cowl is, in fact, a zombie himself.
"Harry Dresden decides this is really all too much work, and wanders off to get himself something to drink. He gets beaten up seventeen times on his way, but saves two orphanages."
----------
http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/884/Suvudu-Cage-Match-How-It-REALLY-Went-Down

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2012, 01:24:06 PM »

What makes you think that? Also, zombies in the Dresdenverse don't have independent thought like Cowl does.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2012, 01:24:29 PM »

well hed be black court if he was anything like that. it's been sugested, but if so, why did Mavra betray him then?