Author Topic: Help me stat a fae "healer" NPC?  (Read 3641 times)

Offline eri

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Help me stat a fae "healer" NPC?
« on: April 22, 2012, 10:07:07 PM »
So I need to make this NPC. He's a changeling, and his fae heritage is from a big white cat with blue eyes that comes and sits at the feet of people in the hospital; these people later heal "miraculously". (Yes, this is apparently an actual legend/ghost story) I need him to have healing powers, and nothing else, so seelie magic isn't really appropriate. Some of the plot hinges on him being stuck halfway to cat. (That's how he discovered he wasn't human, he didn't even realise he was healing people)

I'm pretty sure I have him down, except for the fact that there's really no healing powers in the rules. I was thinking I'd make do with Ritual, restricted to healing (or possibly biomancy), but I thought I'd ask if anyone had a better idea.

I can post all his aspects and skills and things if people want me to.
The more you put in your brain the more it will hold – if you have one.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Help me stat a fae "healer" NPC?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 10:19:19 PM »
So I need to make this NPC. He's a changeling, and his fae heritage is from a big white cat with blue eyes that comes and sits at the feet of people in the hospital; these people later heal "miraculously". (Yes, this is apparently an actual legend/ghost story) I need him to have healing powers, and nothing else, so seelie magic isn't really appropriate. Some of the plot hinges on him being stuck halfway to cat. (That's how he discovered he wasn't human, he didn't even realise he was healing people)

I'm pretty sure I have him down, except for the fact that there's really no healing powers in the rules. I was thinking I'd make do with Ritual, restricted to healing (or possibly biomancy), but I thought I'd ask if anyone had a better idea.

I can post all his aspects and skills and things if people want me to.

Ritual healing/biomancy is the simplest and likely best route.

Can always create a custom power.  It doesn't even have to be balanced if you never tell the players how it worked and destroy all evidence.  (Though at that point...plot device...)

Offline eri

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 10:33:50 PM »
I was going the plot device route... He wasn't more than a couple of notes the first time the party met him. Well, that's not quite true, only one of them actually met him. Anyway, now that the rest have actually met him it seems like one of the characters have got a bit of a crush on him. Her first reaction was "Kitty! how adorable", then she soulgazed him by accident, and he's so terribly nice that she came out of it blushing and is fast developing a crush. Another of the characters picked up on this and (since she's one of the "adults" and responsible) tried to give her "the talk" and it was so absolutely hilarious that I decided then and there that I had to keep him in the game for a bit longer.

So now I actually have to write down his skills and powers and stuff instead of ball-parking them.
Not that I object to that, really. Making characters is the best thing about any RPG as far as I’m concerned.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 10:48:34 PM by eri »

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 10:54:08 PM »
I suggest biomancy then.

It does more than just heal damage.  It is easier to use biomancy, than a custom power usually.  Biomancy has the ability to cure diseases, purge poisons, regrow limbs or organs...maybe a replacement part might be required...but by and large I think you'll find biomancy the route to go.  Custom powers will ahve to be detailed in every way they can heal or aid.  Biomancy doesn't. 

Keep in mind biomancy can do the opposite of healing all those things I mentioned also.  What's to stop him?  Aspects and compels.

You could give him a version that allows biomancy at the speed of evocation.  Just up the cost or make it "sponsored magic" by some healing fae or place of power.

The NPC sounds like something you could keep around or a long time, if the players enjoy interacting with it that much.  i wholly support working out a good way for the powers to work then.

As an aside, not so much a suggestion.  White Wolf Publishing released a supplement for werecats.  Werecats had a power that they called "healing lick" : the idea was that cats and dogs have an antiseptic quality.  Some could even have it work an analgesic or anesthesia.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 11:22:38 PM »
Doesn't Seelie Magic include a lot about healing? If he's already half-fae, making his progenitor summer-aligned would allow for it.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline eri

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 11:54:04 PM »
Doesn't Seelie Magic include a lot about healing?

It does. However, it also includes a lot of stuff that I don't want him to have. Specifically: attack spells and the option of changing out of the half-cat form he's currently in.

Maybe if there was a "Ritual/Channelling" version of Seelie magic

You could give him a version that allows biomancy at the speed of evocation.  Just up the cost or make it "sponsored magic" by some healing fae or place of power.

That sounds good actually, how would you do that?

Hm, actually, maybe I could use Channelling if I specified healing as his "element".

I was thinking of restricting who he was allowed to heal, based on some kind of rules his progenitor follows, and which he of course do not know at all. Something like only heal those who have other people (possibly only other sick or hurt people) asking for them? But first of all, I can't even think of a way to say that, and second, I wouldn't know how to model it in the system. Maybe an aspect?

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 12:02:49 AM »
You could give him Seelie Magic and just compel him to only use it for healing. Like the Blind Spots box (YS179) suggests for mortal spellslingers. That way you don't really have to think of every limit up front, and every time something comes up, the player is granted a fate point. Sounds like a win-win to me.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 12:08:39 AM »
It does. However, it also includes a lot of stuff that I don't want him to have. Specifically: attack spells and the option of changing out of the half-cat form he's currently in.

Maybe if there was a "Ritual/Channelling" version of Seelie magic

That sounds good actually, how would you do that?

Hm, actually, maybe I could use Channelling if I specified healing as his "element".

I was thinking of restricting who he was allowed to heal, based on some kind of rules his progenitor follows, and which he of course do not know at all. Something like only heal those who have other people (possibly only other sick or hurt people) asking for them? But first of all, I can't even think of a way to say that, and second, I wouldn't know how to model it in the system. Maybe an aspect?

-4 Sponsored Magic

"Insert title here!"

"X" allows the caster to use biomancy at the speed of evocation.  "X" being a master of healing grants +1 to complexity of all spells involving healing (maybe even biomancy).  I'd go +2 if it was only healing.

Add some fluff.

Add in a clause about only healing worthy people or some such.

He can take sponsor debt.

Have it be from a long forgotten breed of fae or something.

Those are just broad strokes but it should work.

Offline eri

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 12:16:53 AM »
You could give him Seelie Magic and just compel him to only use it for healing. Like the Blind Spots box (YS179) suggests for mortal spellslingers. That way you don't really have to think of every limit up front, and every time something comes up, the player is granted a fate point. Sounds like a win-win to me.
I suppose. He is just a NPC and I know I (as the GM) wouldn't do anything with him other than heal, but I was rather hoping I could use him as a "sit-in character" so that visiting friends, significant others or younger siblings and the like could be included if necessary. And that would necessitate fairly strict guidelines of what he would or would not be able to do.

-4 Sponsored Magic

"Insert title here!"

"X" allows the caster to use biomancy at the speed of evocation.  "X" being a master of healing grants +1 to complexity of all spells involving healing (maybe even biomancy).  I'd go +2 if it was only healing.

Add some fluff.

Add in a clause about only healing worthy people or some such.

He can take sponsor debt.

Hm. *thinking*

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 01:19:46 AM »
There a channeling / rituals version worked out at one point... Let me see if I can find it...

Found it:
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,25794.msg1115350.html#msg1115350

Richard

Offline eri

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 03:38:42 PM »

There a channeling / rituals version worked out at one point...

Hm, nice, thanks.

So while I consider which route I'm going with this, could I maybe get some feedback on his aspects?

High Concept: Genius physician just learning of his healer heritage
Trouble: Chosen heir to Cat Blue
Phase aspects: My Shakespearian parents; Brilliant Medical Student; From nice guy to nice kitty; Finding my Forefather will give me answers; Big choice ahead.

The final two are the ones I'm most unsure about.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 04:07:52 PM »
Hm, nice, thanks.

So while I consider which route I'm going with this, could I maybe get some feedback on his aspects?

Phase aspects: My Shakespearian parents; Brilliant Medical Student; From nice guy to nice kitty; Finding my Forefather will give me answers; Big choice ahead.

The final two are the ones I'm most unsure about.

I agree, especially the last one.  Every changeling can have that one.  Might I reccomend another one about his personality? I only see one regarding that exact thing.

Perhaps one regarding the hippocratic oath?

Maybe the old EMT line?  "First Do No Harm?"

Perhaps an item?  Caduseus necklace or pin?  serves as a focus item?

Could pick something cat related?  I played something like this....but it was a mad scientist....in another system, anyhow.  I found putting a few feline related habits on him was fun.  He was a finnicky eater.  He liked his grooming and his women.  He had a bit of an ego always ignoring his lessers.  Much like a cat.

That is all i got for ya.  Hope it helps.

Offline eri

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 04:50:03 PM »
It does help, thanks.

Changing it to:
Phase aspects: My Shakespearian parents; Brilliant Medical Student; From nice guy to nice kitty; My ever trusty bike; I promised Mum: "Cura te Ipsum"

Any opinions?

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 05:32:03 PM »
It does help, thanks.

Changing it to:
Phase aspects: My Shakespearian parents; Brilliant Medical Student; From nice guy to nice kitty; My ever trusty bike; I promised Mum: "Cura te Ipsum"

Any opinions?

Sounds good, to me.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 07:12:04 PM »
There are some healing powers on the master list, but they're not very well-written (I say that as the guy who wrote one of them).

Maybe you'll find them useful anyway. And maybe you'll find some way to improve them. Here they are:

HEALING [-2]
Description: You possess the magical ability to heal others. Perhaps you can help people recover from psychological trauma with your musical genius, or perhaps you can knit flesh and bone back together through sheer faith.
Note: This power uses one skill and applies to one stress track. Choose which skill and which stress track when you take this power. Any combination is permissible as long as the group is not offended by it.
Skills Affected: Pick one
Effects:
Heal. You may use your chosen skill to heal consequences of your chosen stress track. In order to heal a given consequence, you must exceed its shift value on a roll of your chosen skill. Healing a consequence increases the speed of its recovery by one step, or by two steps if your roll is twice as good as it needs to be, or by three steps if by some miracle your roll is three times better than it needs to be. If an attempt is made to heal a consequence that has already been healed, the second attempt replaces the first. This power may or may not affect extreme consequences; GMs should handle such issues on a case by case basis.
Widened Healing [-1]. You may use your chosen skill to heal consequences from another stress track of your choice. This option may be chosen multiple times.

Healing Light [-2]
Description: By channeling your supernatural energy into somebody else you allow them to begin the healing process, and may even help them recover to perfect health.
Skills Affected: Conviction, Scholarship
Effects:
Starting Recovery. You may use this power to make scholarship declarations to justify the start of natural recovery from physical consequences, just as if they'd gone to a doctor or the hospital.
Healing Pool. You have a pool of healing power equal to your conviction.
Healing Surge. You may spend a fate point to allow somebody to recover from all of their physical consequences up to severe as if they where a mild. Subtract the value of the highest consequence so affected from your healing pool.
Healing Backlash. At the end of the scene you must roll against a hunger attack with a value equal to the number of negative points in your healing pool. If you have used other powers attached to your feeding dependency during the course of the scene, this (positive) value is added to the overall strength of the hunger attack you would suffer from use of your powers instead.

Magical Healing [-1]
Description: You are trained in the ways of healing, and can work healing more effectively than most mages.
Musts: You must have thaumaturgy, evocation, sponsored magic, or some other form of magical ability. Sponsored magic grants certain bonuses as part of its cost, and that may include this power as a large part of it.
Skills Affected: Conviction, Discipline, Lore
Variations: This spell clears physical stress but varieties could exist for mental or social stress.
Effects:
Treatment: You may clear a stress box on you or an ally by casting a spell with at least as much power as the number of the box in question. A 4 power evocation could clear any of a character's first 4 stress boxes. You may justify beginning recovery on a consequence with a power of spell at least equal to the consequence's value.
Cure: You may clear multiple stress boxes at once, and even reduce the severity of consequences by 1 step by summoning enough power. The chart below lists effects.
1 Power: Clears 1st stress box.
3 Power: Clears first 2 stress boxes.
6 Power: Clears first 3 stress boxes.
10 Power: Clears first 4 stress boxes.
12 Power: Clears all stress boxes and all minor consequences.
16 Power: Same as 12 power, plus lowers a moderate consequence to mild.
22 Power: Same as 16 power, plus lowers a severe consequence to moderate.
30 Power: Same as 22 power, plus lowers an extreme consequence to severe.
40 Power: (With GM approval) Revives a character from death assuming character's body is still in relatively good condition. The character comes back with all consequence slots filled but a clear stress track. Additionally, he must take a [-1] Stunt Back from the Dead Which grants no bonuses. If the revived character lacks the refresh, he may trade in one of his stunts or powers to make up for it. Note: excessive injuries raise the difficulty. Having the head cut off raises it to at least 50. Someone's who's burnt to ashes just isn't coming back even with 1000 power.
Note the Second: Death is a continuum in Dresden Files, not a set point. Even after "death" a few of your cells are still alive for awhile. A revivification spell provides enough juice for them to replicate and reconstruct the body. This shouldn't be a violation of the 5th law, though wardens may not see it that way.
Final Note: Just because the chart lists power levels for certain amounts of healing doesn't mean you're not abusing the rules to get those shifts of power.

Faith Healing [-2]
Musts: You must have taken the Guide My Hand and Righteousness powers in order to take this ability.
You may use your Conviction skill to declare justification for your own or another character’s recovery from moderate or severe consequences of any type, even without access to proper facilities, given time to pray and (for another character) lay hands upon the character in question. In addition, you may spend a Fate Point to allow another character to heal from a Consequence as though it were one level lower in severity. So, the subject would recover from moderate consequences as though they were mild, etc. Consequences reduced below mild are always removed by the beginning of a subsequent scene.