Author Topic: Cursed Items  (Read 2007 times)

Offline timorzo

• Participant
    • View Profile
Cursed Items
« on: April 18, 2012, 12:13:20 AM »
I noticed there wasn't a place to put true cursed items, and I wanted to share some of mine in order to get feed back and some other ideas for cool cursed items.

Musts: Aspect related to the possession of the item, and the pursuit of justice in all areas of life.

Purpose: To seek justice.

It is What It is: Long sword made of red marble.

Stats & Abilities:
Weapon: 5

Suggested Aspects:
Pseudo-Intelligence: The sword has a nature and goals it wishes to accomplish.

Chosen Owner: The sword chooses a wielder it finds worthy of its justice.

Bad Luck for Everyone but Me: If anyone other than the owner wields this sword, misfortune strikes them down (e.g. accidentally killing or maiming a loved one).

Inescapable Bond: The sword will always try to find its way back to its wielder by any means necessary.

Piqued Interest: The sword has the ability to look enticing or interesting to facilitate its travel back to its owner.

Only Death will Separate Us: Even if the chosen wielder revokes his path of justice, the sword will stay with him, usually trying to cause his death, until his death or reclaimation of virtue.

No Deed To Small: The wielder must always strive to be good (i.e. robbing a bank and snubbing a beggar are both "bad" in the sword's eyes, albeit varying in magnitude). If the wielder accumulates these "bad" actions, he must cleanse himself through an appropriate religious ritual or "good" act.

Unbreakable: This item cannot be broken except with a magical ritual that opposes its nature.

Purpose: To humiliate the wearer.

It is What It Is: A mask made from a panda's head.

Stats & Abilities:
Fire Resistance: The wearer gains Armor:2 against fire attacks.

Humiliated: Social attacks against the wearer are treated as Weapon:2.

Suggested Aspects:
Audience Request: The mask forces the user to perform tasks requested by any audience.

Sad Clown: The wearer always seems to be a good mood no matter the situation.

It Wasn't So Bad: If the wearer manages to remove the mask, they will inexplicably feel the urge to wear it again.

Easy for You, Not for Me: The wearer needs an extreme amount of discipline to remove the mask for themselves. On the other hand, other people can remove it easily.

Not so Resistant After All: The mask can be destroyed after being burned for an extended amount of time.
Description: After discovering an infidelity, a witch enchanted her husband's necktie. He was veiled with the town's most hate inducing form, and was hunted down before arriving at his mistresses' home.

Musts: Not already have a veil.

Purpose: To create a veil over the wearer that represents something hated by the viewer.

It is What It Is: A necktie.

Suggested Aspects:
Dapper Hatred: Whatever form the wearer appears to be in will always have a necktie on.

Loosened by Death: Once tied, the necktie cannot be loosened until the wearer dies.

Forgiveness is Your Only Refuge: Someone must feel true forgiveness to cut off the necktie.

Stain Proof: The necktie is always immaculately clean, even after being soaked in blood.

Oh God What Have We Done: The necktie loosens itself upon death and the veil disappears.

Piqued Interest: The necktie looks enticing, even next to a dead body.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 02:30:35 AM by timorzo »

Offline timorzo

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Cursed Items
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 12:16:45 AM »
I did notice that there was cursed IoP thread that died a year ago, http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,24181.msg1024524.html#msg1024524

I wanted to make a thread that discussed more aspect based cursed items than cursed Iop

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 12:30:18 AM »
Considering that Powers - even from cursed items - come out of a player's Refresh total, I wonder if Dresden Files needs cursed items in the same way that they function in, say, Dungeons & Dragons (where cursed items are a consequence of reckless looting). True, D&D cursed items can change fundamental aspects of a character (alignment, gender, appearance), but they are sort of a grab bag of effects - many times, random - in a game in which death is always around the corner, and as such, even the gross alternations wrought by curses are generally more tolerable than death. So in Dresden Files, I'm looking at "cursed" items to be more like the Wolf Belts: things which a character would have voluntarily chosen, despite clear consequences. Most of the good cursed items would be NPC territory, where a GM doesn't necessarily need to worry quite so much about Refresh spent on Powers.

Are you intending these cursed items to have the consequences cancel out the advantages, such that they become -0 Refresh components of a character?
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline timorzo

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 01:06:22 AM »
Considering that Powers - even from cursed items - come out of a player's Refresh total, I wonder if Dresden Files needs cursed items in the same way that they function in, say, Dungeons & Dragons (where cursed items are a consequence of reckless looting).

My thought was to use the cursed items as plot devices rather than loot.

Most of the good cursed items would be NPC territory, where a GM doesn't necessarily need to worry quite so much about Refresh spent on Powers.

For the most part, my intention was for the GM to use these items (as per a plot device). I am not unwilling to let PCs have them, but it was not my goal.

Are you intending these cursed items to have the consequences cancel out the advantages, such that they become -0 Refresh components of a character?

I didn't make them with refresh in mind, but if you were to stat them out, I would expect that they would have -0 Refresh or even positive refresh, if that was possible.

Offline kacowkachow

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 03:38:12 AM »
Here's something I dropped in a party for a different game that you might find interesting.

Eyeglasses of Insecurity (They thought they were hearing the true feelings of people for extra funsies)

Anyone who puts on these stylish modern eyeglasses hears their greatest insecurities espoused by the person they're looking at through the glasses.

Some aspects might be:

Afraid to Find Out
Insecure
Everyone Hates Me
Worst Flaws Confirmed
"I take my throwing knife and throw it, knife style."

—You're the bad guy right?
I am the bad guy.
—And I'm supposed to be trembling with fear, something like that?
Something like that.
—Fine, I'll start trembling in a minute. In the meantime, you think I could have a drink?

Offline Mij

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Undertown!
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 04:00:56 AM »
I like the "plot device" angle of this, and I agree that "cursed" items should be items that people choose.  I think those two ideas fit very well with Dresden Files, ala the aforementioned wolf belts.  Perhaps an NPC has picked up a cursed item that grants her phenomenal cosmic powers, but at a heavy price.  The PCs have to track her down to retrieve / destroy the item.  In that vein, the items you've described are all viable, in my opinion.
Your Laundry skill is Poor (-1), and the difficulty here is Great (+4) owing to old machines, poor lighting, and panty-stealing neighbors.  Roll the Fudge Dice, please.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 05:39:08 AM »
I like the aspect-based approach to cursed items. In fact, I'd go further with it. I'd give cursed items no abnormal traits beyond their Aspects.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 04:21:43 PM »
If these are plot device items, and not "gotcha" complications for PCs (or at least, not "gotcha" items with a commensurate Refresh tax), then cool. I also like the Aspect-based expression of the items.

I feel Weapon:5 is a bit much for the sword. The panda mask seems quite a bit slapstick. Hatred's Necktie seems like a wonderful mystery driver for a small town.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline timorzo

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 11:18:22 PM »
Red Ink
Description: A cheap plastic pen that influences the user's mind, and uses their blood for ink.

Purpose: To punish people for their sins.

It is What It Is: A cheap plastic pen.

Suggested Aspects:
Eye of the Beholder: After first physical contact with the pen, the wielder sees a fancy fountain pen instead.

Feeling a Little Woozy: The ink used in the pen is actually the wielder's blood, extracted without visible wounding.

This Writes Funny: To the wielder anything written with the pen, looks normal, but in reality it lists the wielder's most regrettable deeds.

Get Your Own: The wielder experiences paranoia, and is overly protective of the pen.

Sucked Dry: The pen will eventually suck you dry of all your blood, and you will die, forever.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 03:10:20 AM »
The Black Book From Beneath
IoP
- it is what it is: a three foot long by 18 inches wide by 4 inches deep book.  It is bound in leather and has black paper with white ink.
- indestructible: If burnt while the Christian burial service is read, the book is banished from its current location and will reappear a week later at least 500 miles away - ready to gain a new owner.  Otherwise the book will reform (repairing any and all inflicted damage) within a week.  It would take a powerful ceremony of light to permanently destroy the book.
- True owner [-1] the book may only be given away or sold.  Otherwise it will mystically return to its owner's possession within days (or hours) of being discarded.  Banishing the book (see above) will break the link.  On the owner's death the book becomes "unowned" and available to whoever claims it.  All new owners (including heirs of a dead one) must willingly accept ownership - it cannot be left with someone who refuses it. (I.E.: no binding it to other characters.)
- Rituals (Summoning and Binding) [-2] - to use this power you must read from it, hold it, touch it, or otherwise including the book your rituals.
- Dark Knowledge (not enough for a Lore bonus) - the names of 13 minor demons are inscribed within the pages of this book.  While they are relatively minor demons they are described in order from "least powerful" to "Of a moderate power".
- First IoP rebate [+1] (unless you think that it is awkward enough to qualify as [+2])
Total Cost: -2 (or -1)

Notes: there may be several copies of this item or it may be a case of the Book updating itself - changing its title and altering its contents to fit the time.  Early originally tales of this book say that it written in Ancient Greek, then came stories of it being in Hebrew, Latin, or High German.  Recent versions have it written in a contemporary language but using archaic words and phrases.  EG: an English one would be written in something akin to King James English with Thees and Thous.
Whatever the language, the owner will find someway to use it.  Perhaps there have been pages taped inside in a language they know, perhaps it will be via notes in the margins - but however it happens the owner will be able to use the book.

While the book provides the names of minor demons and the ways to summon them, there is nothing that forces anyone to summon something up things from the darkness.  You can summon fairies, elements, whatever you want, but the option for dark magic is always there.

When the owner becomes desperate enough, greedy enough, or merely curious enough, they normally start with the least powerful demon.  When summoned this demon will be amendable to bargaining and ask little for its services, but whatever it asks will be unclean, unwholesome, or both.  Even if not properly bound it will bargain rather than attack - it wants to serve (at least until it owns your soul).  And it will be open to changing its demands as long as what it is changing them to is at least as unwholesome as the original.  "You don't want to burn pig's blood for me? How about a used tampon? Blood's blood, right?" - that sort of thing.

While helpful, the demon will bemoan its lack of power.  Sooner or later (depending on how the owner works with it) the demon will say something along the lines of "I might be able to accomplish that, but I might not be.  However <name of next most powerful demon> should have no problems fulfilling your request.".  Of course, the owner begins working with a more powerful demon the bargaining becomes more demanding.  If the first demon wanted pig's blood then the second might want a pig sacrificed.  And the time will come when the second one hints that the owner really needs the power of the third one, and so.  None of the demons ever ask for much more than the previous one as they slowly wear down the owner’s morals.  By the time they get to demon 8 or 9, most owners have murdered (and / or committed other atrocities), sold their first born, and often sold their souls for power.

It is rare that an owner summons the 13th demon before selling his soul, and that 13th demon often demands the owner's soul in exchange for the name and rite needed to summon a more powerful demon.  Of course, if the owner sells his soul for that information he has nothing to bargain with when summoning the 14th demon.

But (in keeping with freewill) the names in the book don't have to be used...

----

This is a cursed item / plot device, based on countless legends of Black Books.  Perhaps new ones are made by owners who copy from their original using blood and excrement as ink then ordering a demon to use the owner's own skin as leather to bind it? Perhaps they are made by infernal cults? Do the books contain the souls (or parts of the souls) of former owners? Who knows?

As an occult tome, it doesn't really stand out among other occult tomes.  It might take PCs a couple of "we defeat the demon summoner" adventures to notice that the same book is always in the library or otherwise stashed in the houses of the demon summoners they've been defeating.  Of course, if viewed with the Sight the book won’t be pleasant to look at.
The book could easily be passed around the city's minor practitioners - each one assuming that he could resist the temptation that claimed the others.
Perhaps one of the characters have a family member, friend, or contact who either inherits it or stumbles across it in a book shop.  The PC could notice the slow decline as the owner becomes more morally ambiguous on his path to the neither realms.
The owner (with his ability to summon and bind) could easily start a cult - perhaps with the idea that the cult members could help pay the price for the demonic aid.

In theory use of the book is purely voluntary, but how many people can resist the offer of power? Of course, the ultimate goal of the demons summoned by the book is to spread evil and corruption - one owner at a time.  The owner's soul is the prize but they try to have their fun on the way down.  If they can get him to rape his first born then sacrifice it in a demonic rite before he sells his soul, then that's what they do.  If they can corrupt his family, friends, and maybe form a demonic cult around him - that means bonus points as they spread evil and collect more souls.

"It is easy to call up the demons, for they are always calling you; and you have only to step down to their level and fraternize with them. They will then tear you in pieces at their leisure."

Richard